Newbie in love with UniVibe

Started by Bonzo, June 11, 2006, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonzo

Hi everybody! I'm new around here and I'm looking for some suggestions from the experts, thats you people :D.

I love the univibe sound and I've  always wanted to build it...the problem is I'm not an expert at electronics.
I've built the Bluesbreaker a few months ago and I also helped a friend to build a distortion ( cant remember which one)..so, I do have some knowledge of electronics.

I've been reading every thread about Neovibe and easyvibe. As many people say, the easyvibe is much more
easy to build than the Neovibe, in fact thats the same impression I got when I watched the schematics.

Now my question:
  I've just heard some of the easyvibe soundclips around the forum (couldn't find so many, just 2 or 3) and to me the easyvibe sounds more like a Flanger rather than a UniVibe.. Do you agree with me or it's just a bad impression ??

I think the NeoVibe sound much better than the easyvibe (compaired the few soundclips you can find around the net..).
What do you think? Which one sounds better? Do you think the easyvibe sounds more like a Flanger than a univibe??
If it does, should I try building the NeoVibe? Even if I have little experience on building this kind of stuff?

Thank you for your time and sorry if I bored you.
I hope you could help me.

jonathan perez

close your eyes and jump in!

i say, build both! you may find that you like them both for what they are.

also, anything is hard when you look at the amount of work put into it before looking ahead. but if you look forward, at what its worth in the end, youll find that whats now in the past (the hard work) is now knowledge collected.

just a thought...
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

JimRayden

I don't think it would make too much sense building the both of them. I absolutely love my Easyvibe and I'd say it's 100% "the 'Vibe". I've never been closer to "Machine Gun", I just can't put the guitar down once I start twiddling the knobs and switching between vibe and vibrato modes. I haven't managed to dial a flangy tone yet though. Can you post the clips you found?

It's propably my favourite pedal, the Vibe beats any other modulation effect. Now get building!

Three thumbs up. :)

---------
Jimbo

FcKw

here is a soundclip i made with my easyvibe with two different settings, perhaps it's helpfull for your decision: http://forum.musikding.de/gallery/displayimage.php?album=100&pos=1

i don't know how representiv the settings are, but this is what i figured out the first hours I tested mine :)

btw.: the samples you found are also very good, the only difference i figured out between the easyvibe and the neovibe clips is the equipment around the different vibes ;D

Bonzo

Well, that sounds pretty nice FcKw, thanks!
Sure the sound depends not only on the settings but also on the equipment you use, and I'm aware of that,  I'm actually focused on the vibe effect itself, I mean, the amount of vibes, the phase effect, etc.
I just would like to be able to get a similar vibe effect like in "Jimi Hendrix's Hey Baby" from "First ray of the new rising sun" and also "Pink Floyd's Breathe" from "Dark Side of the moon". What a wonderful sound.

jrc4558

I would say - go with an EZ Vibe. the PCB is much smaller, works off of one 9V battery, and, most importantly, gets you there in therms of the sound. I never even considered building a UniVibe after built the EZ vibe. Took mine ot the music store and A-B-ed it with Fulltone's one. I like mine better. :P

cbriere

Bonzo,
i think you are on the right track with Neovibe or Easyvibe,
but for you i would highly recommend the Easyvibe,
Neovibe has way too much parts (all those transistorss...)
the Easyvibe does the same job with thos nice little opamps,
You know the key factor on those things are the LDR's+lamps
The matching of those (plus the cap values of each stage)
is what make this circuit sounds so cool.

You can find mods that takes an Phase90 to sound like an
Univibe.
cbriere

Bonzo

Thanks all of you for your replies. I think I'm giving a try with the EasyVibe.
Let see what happens!