Tube Screamer Clone Gain Issues

Started by nephsuperman, October 04, 2006, 04:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nephsuperman

This is a tube screamer clone from the exact specs from General Guitar Gadgets. 
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?%20option=content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=118
This is my first pedal and I am very pleased that it works, there are some things that i see are very beginner, but we learn for our mistakes.  There is no humming or other undesirable noises and that is great.  However I am a little unpleased with the gain on the pedal.  There is not much gain and I would like to increase the amount that is possible when adjusting the gain pot.  I have seen mods for this on other sites but they were not using the same board layout as GGG.  I am looking for suggestions for changes to certain resistors/caps to up the gain on this puppy. Thanks in advance.  i will try to post a better pic soon of the board.

4 successful builds, 2 on the way.  Still trying to learn as much as I can.
GGG tube screamer *2, GGG ross compressor, and the GGG Crybaby replacement circuit.

zpyder

I started this thread just days ago asking the same question, and expanding it to any distortion circuit "in general":

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=50019.0

Check it out...

cheers!
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

nephsuperman

GGG tube screamer *2, GGG ross compressor, and the GGG Crybaby replacement circuit.

nephsuperman

dosmun

1 Meg Drive pot.

Check out the Techonolgoy of th TS at  www.geofex.com   All the info you could ever want.

zpyder

Quote from: dosmun on October 04, 2006, 08:50:02 PM
Check out the Techonolgoy of th TS at  www.geofex.com   All the info you could ever want.

That article is BADASS!!! I'm a newbie gobbling up info and every day feeling like I'm getting it a little more.  I read that article quite a while back and couldn't really understand it... I read it again a few days ago (having learned in the duration) and did understand it, and it opened my eyes by a good margin.  You should check it out.  Thanks R.G.!!

cheers,
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

fluxus

I assembled this week my first real pedal! REALLY FUN! I bought a TS-808 replica from generalguitarsgadgets.com very neat site and very kind guy.
I did the asym clipp mod as you and in this way is more tube like, I have even a real tube overdrive pedal and it's really true, I have to understand well what is it this damned odd thing. there are some other mods to increase the gain, it shound works on this PCB no? anyway I like this overdrive cause its quite soft clipping so I didnt pay attention around how to mod it, apart the diode mod yes.

here mine:

nephsuperman

Looks great.  Mine is the one in the pic above.  I have the same setup on my board as yours (with the asymmetrical clipping), although I didnt buy the kit, I went and bought all the parts myself.  As the guys have said above, I am going to Change the Drive Pot from the 500K Log to a 1M Log Pot.  Secondly I am going to change R6 from 4k7 to 1.5k.

These changes as stated above by more than a few people will increase the gain and not sacrifice any soft clipping.

This is correct, right boys?

Thanks.

ubersam

Quote from: nephsuperman on October 06, 2006, 12:06:58 PMSecondly I am going to change R6 from 4k7 to 1.5k.
You will need to change C3 as well, when you change R6. Otherwise, a 1.5K R6 and a stock 0.047uf C3 will give you a highpass corner freq. of 2.2KHz, i.e. no bass. I personally prefered a 1.5K R6 and a 0.22uf C3, giving me a 482.5 Hz highpass corner freq. = more bass than original TS. You can go with a bigger cap in C3 if you want even more bass. Anything bigger than 0.47uf (or even 0.33uf) gets too bassy for my tastes.

Melanhead

That's the values I use as well for TS mods (.22uf and 1.5k) ... It's fatter and more gainy ... For a little less grit you can try canging the clipping diodes to a 1n4001/1n34 in series for one and a 1n4001 for the other ... It's a nice combination that seems a bit smoother to my ears whan adding gain to the TS circuit.

Izzy

hey  what is that thing called in the pic which he is using to attach pcb board to the case?? white plastic like?

I really wanna know. I was also looking for similar stuff.
Does anybody knows what is it called.?

boogietube

Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808