MORE Uglyface questions...

Started by $uperpuma, June 22, 2006, 12:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

$uperpuma

OK...Uglyface built and sounding pretty darn good...but I was wainting to make sure that some of the things I'm hearing are things that should be there... when testing the uF outsde of an enclosure I had great sounds and sensitivity...when I put it in a box, Istarted to get a stray crackle...now I know that when the threshold is in the "in between point" just befor full oscillation, there will be some carckling..but with this one, if I have the tone knob on the guitar all the way up, the crackle never goes away.  If i turn the tone knob all the way down, I have to most predictable, pleasant results with the effect all together... Any insught on eliminating this crackle?

Oh, and on the "oscillation during bypass queastion... if there is a way to connect lug 1? of the threshold pot (pin 7 of the 386)  to ground upon bypass, it seems to eliminate the oscillation.

Thanks
-Nate

Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

soggybag

RunoffGroove suggests adding a .001 cap on the output to tame the highs.

goosonique

I believe you get crackle with the 'threshold' at 8 to 9o,clock position ?
I was not able to get rid of it as well .... learned to live with it...
Btw ...built the Q&A VCF after with switchable and an expression pedal option which makes it into a freaky synth wah...
With the UF+VCF, my pedal board becomes sort of analog synth as it goes through delay , phase , ps3 , chorus ..tremolo......
you can sit down and tweak the whole day... :icon_cool: drives my dog crazy

this pedal is wicked ...even the paintwork cracked...
<((one man with courage makes a majority))>

soggybag

Crazy! Is that two Ugly Faces in parrallel?

goosonique

Nope its Tim's Q&D VCF and the Ugly face.
<((one man with courage makes a majority))>

slacker

Quote from: goosonique on June 22, 2006, 10:13:55 PM
Btw ...built the Q&A VCF after with switchable and an expression pedal option which makes it into a freaky synth wah...
Cool, I did that as well but I used an LFO to control the VCF instead of an expression pedal. I also hooked up the LFO to control the uglyface's frequency via the LED/LDR combo.
A thingmod after an uglyface is pretty good as well.

Noplasticrobots

How do you go about using an expression pedal to control the frequency of the UF? I think I still have some room in my enclosure...
I love the smell of solder in the morning.