Atari Punk Console

Started by z1, June 23, 2006, 10:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psych0F0x

this might be a really stupid question , but where do I connect negative?

tcobretti

Ground is the bottom left pin on the chip.

Psych0F0x

Quote from: tcobretti on September 05, 2006, 01:18:43 AM
Ground is the bottom left pin on the chip.
thanks!

It's working but it doesn't really sound like I expected it to. it just makes one constant tone, and you can change the pitch, am I correct? or did I make a mistake somewhere? I doesn't sound very much like that sound clip from the kaustic machines site. I was expecting random stuff

Brett Sinclair

Quote from: Psych0F0x on September 05, 2006, 04:09:22 AMI doesn't sound very much like that sound clip from the kaustic machines site. I was expecting random stuff

On the clip on the machines website i'm weaving my hand above the ldr like a lunatic...  :icon_mrgreen:
You can do fun stuff with this thing... add an ldr in series or parallel to one or both of the pots, make them switchable, have an ldr controlled by a lfo (tremulus lune?)... etc...

suicidalmoose

does anybody want to attempt to make this project a guitar effects pedal, kinda like how an envelope filter controlls a wah, you could convert the signal from the guitar to similar toned atari beeps? I think it'd be kinda cool to experiment with playing some atari game theme songs using a pedal like that and i reckon it'd be a popular novelty pedal, i mean it's a pedal you woudln't be able to buy so surely many would build it.

Psych0F0x

Quote from: Brett Sinclair on September 05, 2006, 04:39:22 AM
Quote from: Psych0F0x on September 05, 2006, 04:09:22 AMI doesn't sound very much like that sound clip from the kaustic machines site. I was expecting random stuff

On the clip on the machines website i'm weaving my hand above the ldr like a lunatic...  :icon_mrgreen:
You can do fun stuff with this thing... add an ldr in series or parallel to one or both of the pots, make them switchable, have an ldr controlled by a lfo (tremulus lune?)... etc...

I still think I did something wrong, I can't get double tones like you have in your clip,  at 26 secs you get a low tone and a tone an octave higher, with tremelo(ofcourse that could be done with a tremelo pedal). I just get a very tiny variety of 1 straight tone. More like a normal tone than an atari tone. Also one of the other pots only does veery slight pitch shifting or none at all, unless I turn it completely full then it goes up a tone in pitch.

Brett Sinclair

There could indeed be something wrong with your circuit... it should be able to give you a range of "shifting" sounds and both pots should be quite interactive.

$uperpuma

I built one today from Choklitlove's Layout, it is now Verified. Uses a 556. and other than the pot values, it is right on the Mims Schematic.
http://geocities.com/worthekik/atari.html
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

b2thea

can someone make a layout for the version with 2 555's?

MikeH

Has anyone messed around with the idea of putting this in a box with another effect and using some sort of "blend" control to mix it with a fuzzed out guitar signal or something to the effect?
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

$uperpuma

you could probably mutate the single oscillator in the Uglyface to a dual oscillator. IT would be a little tougher to manipulate playing guitar and turning two knobs would be hard... even a little more ridiculous, you could use an expression pedal for each osc. controller... ORRRRR you could use an LDR for one and an expression pedal for another.... :) too many possibilities...

Bernardduur

I used two LDR's and it works great!
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

choklitlove

Quote from: b2thea on October 09, 2006, 12:09:06 PM
can someone make a layout for the version with 2 555's?

this was posted earlier in the thread:
Quote from: Seljer on July 11, 2006, 09:50:55 AM
Heres a layout for the thing using two 555s based off the schematic on the previous page

my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

Psych0F0x

I still can't get mine to work right. Looking at the 2x555 layout: Pot B doesn't do much, the other pot changes pitch. Level acts a bit weird. Help??

Gila_Crisis

i built one (with the LM556) and tried now. it work! pretty cool noise maker  :icon_mrgreen:
i like it, now i must only find a little box to put it in a solder the last few things.

Meanderthal

Just built the dual 555 version... Lotsa fun! One thing to mention though, on the layout posted by seljier pin 8 of Ic2 should go to +9v! Check against the schematic, you'll see what I mean.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

Snuffy

I've built two and they both sound pretty good execpt for the second pot on the 556 layout does most of its stuff in the first 1/4 of the rotation, the rest of the way it just farts out.
I'm going to experiment with different pot values to get a better range

Meanderthal

I used 1m for those. They do stuff over most of their range.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

Gila_Crisis

this is the one a build!!!!

today i runed it thru my pedalboard, and messed a bit with all the effects (delay, lfanger phaser, ring mod and wah) preatty sick noise maker :icon_mrgreen:

$uperpuma

i built the etched apc and etched uglyface for a circuit bending buddy of mine and he says hes gotten somegreat tones using the two together into a delay