Atari Punk Console

Started by z1, June 23, 2006, 10:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gila_Crisis

maybe i'm gonna build this one:
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/YOUR_FIRST_SYNTH/YOUR_FIRST_SYNTH.html

look really interesting. and seams not so hard to build

Meanderthal

Yes, that one looks like fun, and it's expandable too! Maybe the Apc can tie into it...
I am not responsible for your imagination.

Meanderthal

Hey! The dual 555 layout up and dissapeared! All it needed was that one little connection under pin8 of IC2 and then it would be verified...

h-rock

this thing looks awesome! ive seen pics with a led light, where does it go on the schematic?

Meanderthal

That would just be an indicator light- is it on yet? I didn't bother with mine, I just put the switch on the output, so if it's plugged in it's on.

mcasey1

I just finished mine.  Very cool.  Any information on mods?

Seljer

Quote from: Meanderthal on November 13, 2006, 09:20:55 AM
Hey! The dual 555 layout up and dissapeared! All it needed was that one little connection under pin8 of IC2 and then it would be verified...

yeah, the academic and research network of this country finally realised that I hadn't bothered to renew my internet account with them for the past year or so and finally deleted my webspace
I'll track down the file somewhere on my harddrive and put it up in the gallery :)

edit: http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album95/apclayout_copy?full=1

edit2: aaaaah, spotted that missing trace too

Fleetdog

From a quick look at the posted schematic for 555s, it looks like the output of the first timer is being fed into the 2nd timer as the trigger.  It's been a while since I've worked with 55s so I don't remember exactly what the trigger pin does specifically, but it seems like it's probably in some way, filtering the first 555's output.  Assuming that 555 #2 is a filter of some sort, you could probably get some weird stompbox application here by replacing that first 555 with an op amp that would turn your guitar signal into a square wave (an effect I've wanted to play with on it's own for a while but I've never bothered to build).  Am I barking up the wrong tree here or is this possibly a cool idea?  I'll post a schematic for my opamp based guitar to squarewave circuit idea later when I have a bit of time.

Meanderthal

Actually it's back now...
So I've had some time to mess around with it, and in the process annoy the hell out of my wife and possibly the band, but they didn't say anything. Anyhow, I noticed that at certain settings you can tune this thing with one knob and actually play distinct seperate notes on the other... it sometimes seems to be a pentatonic scale, and right on the edge of usability in a musical sense! I found myself actually playing notes in key with the guitar player, following his 1-4-5 with the slightest little tweak of that knob. Ran this thing thru my Zoom and my bass amp... WOW! It suddenly was sounding like a decent analog synth!
This little gizmo might actually become useful...

The 2nd 555 is not a filter, but that's still a cool idea... might be pretty interesting.

choklitlove

my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

Meanderthal

Yeah, I'm gonna hafta get more 555s and build that one!

Fleetdog

I just built a bastardized version of the 556 APC on my breadboard (I'm running low on parts so I had to make due).  It's one wacky little circuit.  I think I may have to get a perfboard and build a permanent one.  It's just too strange to not have on hand.  It's perfectly named too.  I made some killer old school bomb dropping effects with the right knob twists.