Started by z1, June 23, 2006, 10:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Snowberg

That schematic is missing a ground connection to pin 1 of the 555s. :icon_wink:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

KORGULL

Quote from: Peter Snowberg on July 02, 2006, 07:46:04 PM
That schematic is missing a ground connection to pin 1 of the 555s. :icon_wink:
Damn. Thanks for finding that error. I had tried rotating one of the ICs and then put it back again at one point and must've lost track of that connection after it got broken. Will fix and repost it tomorrow.  :)

KORGULL

choklitlove

i have finished a pcb layout for this, but i have a question.  i can't test this yet, so what would the two pots be called?  is one pitch and the other oscillation?  if so, which is which?  i'll post the layout as soon as i figure this out.  thanks!
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

choklitlove

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on June 23, 2006, 12:02:17 PM
I have mine set up with  pots, but with a switch so that I can change to and LDR for one parameter, and a pot for another.
i was thinking about doing that with my layout.  i saw their 555 "theremin" idea using an ldr instead of an antennae and i knew it would be possible since the atari pc uses the 556.  any specifics on how you did that?  it would just take a DPDT, right?  any other components like resistors in series with the ldr?  what do you think about having 2 switches, 2 pots, 2 ldrs to control both parameters with either or?  i will give you credit on the layout, if you would like.  thanks!

also, see my above post...
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: choklitlove on July 05, 2006, 04:24:16 PM
Quote from: tiges_ tendres on June 23, 2006, 12:02:17 PM
I have mine set up with  pots, but with a switch so that I can change to and LDR for one parameter, and a pot for another.
i was thinking about doing that with my layout.  i saw their 555 "theremin" idea using an ldr instead of an antennae and i knew it would be possible since the atari pc uses the 556.  any specifics on how you did that?  it would just take a DPDT, right?  any other components like resistors in series with the ldr?  what do you think about having 2 switches, 2 pots, 2 ldrs to control both parameters with either or?  i will give you credit on the layout, if you would like.  thanks!

also, see my above post...

yeah, I used 2 dpdt toggle switches.  This is a crap diagram for the switch for both pot/ldr combinations
[  ]top
[  ]middle
[  ]bottom

the two middle lugs are the points which would normally be fed to pots.  The top two lugs i used for pots, the bottom two lugs are for ldrs.

I dont get a long sweep with the ldrs.  It's a lot harder to control.  But you do get all the action in a nice big bunch which can lead to much pet scaring!

I like to set one pot and the other ldr.  So I'm waving and tuning a radio at the same time.
Dont expect it to act too much like a theremin though, it's way more unpredictable than that.

Have fun!
Try a little tenderness.

Wild Zebra

Built this over the weekend for a friends B-day.  Used Dragonfly vero (thanks)  Went together real nice.  No switches or buttons to wire up so it didn't take too long.  For a little two knobber it sounds cool, but I enjoy all the little noise boxes (we gotta track more down).  Next time I'm at my friends I'll get a pic and maybe a sound sample.

Thanks all!
"your stripes are killer bro"

Dragonfly

Quote from: Wild Zebra on July 10, 2006, 10:49:57 AM
  Built this over the weekend for a friends B-day.  Used Dragonfly vero (thanks)  Went together real nice.  No switches or buttons to wire up so it didn't take too long.  For a little two knobber it sounds cool, but I enjoy all the little noise boxes (we gotta track more down).  Next time I'm at my friends I'll get a pic and maybe a sound sample.

Thanks all!

cool...so the layout is verified....

btw...did you use a stereo jack like i mention in the thread (to cut battery power when output cable isn't plugged in) ?

AC

z1

could i use a simple DPDT switch to switch the unit on/off and disconnect the battery? where should i put the switch?

smnm

Quote from: z1 on July 11, 2006, 02:28:02 AM
could i use a simple DPDT switch to switch the unit on/off and disconnect the battery? where should i put the switch?

You could just use an spst to open and close the connection between the battery negative wire and ground, like the stereo input jack switching does...

Seljer

Heres a layout for the thing using two 555s based off the schematic on the previous page

Wild Zebra

Quotecool...so the layout is verified....

btw...did you use a stereo jack like i mention in the thread (to cut battery power when output cable isn't plugged in) ?
No, I used a Pot with a spst switch on it.  Not sure of the tech name.  Turn it it clicks on.  I was going to use a stereo jack, but the local elect store only had two 500k's (and they were 5 bucks a pop, ouch) and one was switchable.  I never used one before and it worked real well.  I just threw an led in there so it wouldn't get left on by mistake.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE LAYOUT! 
This is a great beginner project for people who'd like to add a noise box to the pack (I can't get enough of em" we gotta find more little guys like this) Just watch the jumpers under the chip.  Even though I read that I still soldered the socket on first,  :icon_redface:

z1

Quote from: smnm on July 11, 2006, 09:25:44 AM
Quote from: z1 on July 11, 2006, 02:28:02 AM

You could just use an spst to open and close the connection between the battery negative wire and ground, like the stereo input jack switching does...

thanks  :)

smnm

Quote from: Wild Zebra on July 11, 2006, 10:31:28 AM
This is a great beginner project for people who'd like to add a noise box to the pack (I can't get enough of em" we gotta find more little guys like this)

Well - here's a great one from the ExpAnon forum - see http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=382 - there's a clip in there somewhere.

Microscope

I'm about to start building this but I don't understand how the wires from the pots and the 9 volt all intersect. Can anyone explain to me how to do that?

Thanks.

Wild Zebra

Here I am trying to give advice and now I built one and it doesn't work  I made one for a friend and it worked great. Here what mine does. It appears to work, its just very, very low volume almost inaudible unless cranked. Heres the thing though if I turn the pot on the right (of the 556 stripboard layout) I can dial it in to a spot were it comes in loud an clear, but its just a tiny area and heres the kicker when I hit that spot the pot sparks not alot but right when I hit that spot. Any ideas? I hope the sparking is a givaway. I've done all the basics, solder bridges, parts, jumpers, traces, etc.   I also tryed a different potentiometer.  Sorry no voltages I'm at work.

somasix

I just whipped this little guy up.  I've been away from the building most of the summer, so I figured the Atari Punk Console would be a good project to get back into it with.  As usual, my veroboard dyslexia was flaring up again, so I had to mount the 556 chip on the copper side to get the project to work.  Surprisingly, it fired right up.  It's a fun little noisemaker.  This one's going to get put in a plastic enclosure for a couple reasons, first, the circuit seems real reactive and sensitive.  I've had it drop off a couple of times and had to touch the 556 chip to get it to start again.  Secondly, I'm thinking of adding some metal touch pads to cajole circuit bent sounds out of it, something I don't think you can do with a metal case?  This little circuit definitely seems mod friendly. 

As far as you issues Wild Zebra, I don't know what this issue might be.  I've had to go back to the iron a couple of times to touch up solder joints.  There are also some dead spots in my pots.  Anyone have this happen?  There are a couple of positions where neither knob seems to do much.

ddes

http://www.eam.se/kraakdoos/index.html ! ;)
I haven't built one, but the sound samples are cool.

Clubman35

Does this thing need to be plugged into an amp? Or, could I just hook it to a small speaker and box the whole thing up? Many thanks guys.

Seljer

I think the 555/556 is able to power a speaker, or at least there are a bunch of schematics of it doing it in that Engineers Mini Notebook on 555 circuits. Won't exactly will be really loud but it'd work. I see they sometimes wire a 5kiloohm pot as a variable resistor in series with the 8ohm speaker as a volume control (its wired directly to the output of the the chip, with an electrolytic capacitor in between)