1960'S Fender Transistor Amps??

Started by markm, June 27, 2006, 09:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markm

With my recent experimenting with Germanium Trannies, I've been wondering what
Fender used in the first generation Fender Solid State amps?
Were they Germ or Silicon?
Anybody know or can anyone shed some light on the subject?
Just curious about this  :)
   MarkM

Sir H C

The ones I have are silicon.  They date from about 1969, don't think many still used Germanium then.

markm

Nice!
Those have become quite rare these days I hear!
It would make sense if they were silicon.
Thanks for the info.

Ben N

OT: Nice Jag--I used to have a red one with the matching headstock, and I have seen white, but the blue is a new one for me.  Is it original?
Ben
  • SUPPORTER

Paul Marossy

Yeah, those SS Fender amps are rare birds these days. Solid state amps?! That was one of CBS Fender's biggest blunders.  :icon_rolleyes:

EDIT: So, do they sound any good?

Sir H C

RE: Jag, the headstock is original, but some idiot repainted the body.  That is how I could afford it...

The amps are killer.  They have so much in them, a channel with trem/reverb, a channel with Dimension IV, and a channel with distortion.  The amplifier is in the cabinet, the head just is a pre-amp.  These were Seth Lover designed as opposed to the other ones that were in-house.  I finally got one of the other style early trannie fenders, I am scared to turn it on, they were very shoddy looking.

Paul Marossy

QuoteThe amps are killer.  They have so much in them, a channel with trem/reverb, a channel with Dimension IV, and a channel with distortion.  The amplifier is in the cabinet, the head just is a pre-amp.  These were Seth Lover designed as opposed to the other ones that were in-house.  I finally got one of the other style early trannie fenders, I am scared to turn it on, they were very shoddy looking.

Interesting!