Question for mark hammer or anyone about CA super tone control

Started by donald stringer, June 30, 2006, 05:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donald stringer

I was planning on building this circuit. I had a few questions for you. At your convenience of course. I have some lm3900 quads that I am going to use. First upon reading up on them I understand that they are a some what different animal than the garden variety op- amp. I have a book that I purchased that details  projects on norton op-amps [the ca 3080, lm13600 toa and lm3900] and it states that lm3900 only require a single power supply, I am assuming this means 9 volts to the pos. and ground to neg. terminal and does not need VR. on the inputs [in this case the neg. inputs of the op-amp. Am I correct ? I have a charge pump and am more familiar with there operation so I can easily power this thing up with +9 and - 9 dual supply if this would be better. I quote [However, these op-amps are very different from the usual op-amp, and must be used in a completely different way. The usual op-amp responds to a differential voltage at its inputs, but the LM3900 responds to a differential current. Instead ]  If I am reading this correctly then this is the reason the lm3900 does not require VR.  Does it require a certain amount of resistance on the input other than it is specified on the tone control? O ther than that I assume that I can drop the lm3900 in this circuit using the component values shown on the schematic. Oh yes I could just use a bus terminal that I can purchase at radio shack and terminate the connections from the op-amp and jump wires to the pots shown for a, b, c, d,e,f, etc.Thank you for your assistance.
troublerat

Mark Hammer

I don't know nearly enough about Norton amps to respond authoritatively.  All that aside, I strongly doubt you can just "drop" the 3900 into the circuit without a number of modifications.  There may be a schematic in the book for a state-variable filter using a 3900, however, and you would be well-advised to build that instead.  All the Super Tone Control really is a state variable filter, and lord knows there are hundreds of worked out designs for those things.  I can't see how one optimized for a 3900 would behave terribly differently than the Anderton one.