New Effect: Payback

Started by The Tone God, June 30, 2006, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Allen

I suspect the idea in separating 5v from 9v ground is to make sure you don't end up with ground loops to introduce noise. They all connect together at one point so everything including the regulator are grounded together, but physically isolated except for the point they meet.

Auke Haarsma

Thanks, that excludes the grounding from being the cause of why my breadboarded Payback doesn't work yet.

Could you explain the working of SW3 too?

The Tone God

Quote from: Auke Haarsma on December 06, 2007, 03:03:10 AM
Could you explain the working of SW3 too?

It is the effect bypass switch which operates just like most effect bypass switch with the only difference being that it also starts and stops the playback. You have to be careful how you wire the run to the diode. It can be sensitive and sometimes force the playback to halt. For testing you might even want to just use a pull up resistor, say 100K, and control it separately from the bypass switch.

Andrew

Auke Haarsma

Valoosj

so, is it working yet you lazy bum  ;)

I was awaiting the arrival of your mail, but nothing came in today. Nor did my other packages come in
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Auke Haarsma

Nope... I don't have time untill (if lucky) sunday night, or next week. Sinterklaas with parents-in-law ... I'll keep you posted if I make progress.

Valoosj

you still believe in him?  ;D
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Auke Haarsma

As long as he brings me presents and a good time... yup!  :icon_mrgreen:

Valoosj

Some people just get a girlfriend for that ;)  Or does Saint Nikolaas pleasure you that way as well?  (Hans Teeuwen gezien als de Sint :D)

Auke Haarsma

haha, that's with Jiskefet   :icon_mrgreen: But yeah, I have a really nice girlfriend ;)

Ok, that was OT, apologies  :icon_cool:

On topic: I didn't have time to do further testing, but I wonder if other people can report on the sound quality of the loop? I was quite disappointed in the quality, it was very distorted. I didn't expect a clean signal, but more something a long the lines of the lo-fi-loop junky. Anyone have a sample recording of payback 1.1?

Valoosj

If I'm lucky then the paper in my letterbox was for the stuff I ordered from musikding. I will breadbord the payback asap.
I just hope you @#$%ed up somewhere :p it would be dissapointing if the payback 1.1 is somewhat distorted

~arph

Quote from: Auke Haarsma on December 07, 2007, 10:06:42 AM
haha, that's with Jiskefet   :icon_mrgreen: But yeah, I have a really nice girlfriend ;)

Ok, that was OT, apologies  :icon_cool:

Yes, that was a bit disturbing..

I also have the IC's for the payback lying around for ages.. I have a question about the ISD (not having read up on the payback for a long time so I'm sorry if it's obvious) can it record and playback at the same time? that would make  a nice delay challenge.

The Tone God

Quote from: ~arph on December 07, 2007, 11:27:04 AM
I have a question about the ISD (not having read up on the payback for a long time so I'm sorry if it's obvious) can it record and playback at the same time? that would make  a nice delay challenge.

No it cannot playback and record at the same time. Of course the next idea will be use two ISDs and sequence them to  alternate record and playback. Done that. Thats why I had the two ISDs that I used in last months FX-X. It doesn't work that well. Too much delay between switching from playback and record.

Andrew

junkwork

anyone has large-size v1.0 schematic image? tonegod's one (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/TheToneGod/payback/payback.jpg) is too small for me I can't read values... or where can I get ISD1600? digikey looks doesn't have stocks, parts shop around me stocks only ISD1700 series.

The Tone God

Quote from: junkwork on December 08, 2007, 02:24:26 AM
anyone has large-size v1.0 schematic image? tonegod's one (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/TheToneGod/payback/payback.jpg) is too small for me I can't read values...

I can make a large version availible at the site later for you.

where can I get ISD1600? digikey looks doesn't have stocks, parts shop around me stocks only ISD1700 series.

Digikey is carrying the 10 and 12 second versions right now.

Something strange is happening. The 16 and 20 second versions are now listed "Obsolete" which general means Digikey is not going to carry that model anymore. I don't know what is happening. There is nothing on Winbond's site about EOLing. It could be that either Digikey has decided to not carry them, a newer version is going to replace it, or Winbond has discontinuing them without notice on the site.

I'll keep an eye out to see what is happening.

Andrew

Valoosj

seems like I bought them just in time.

Andrew, when you made the schematic for v1.1 , did you breadboard it?
Or do you have the skills and knowledge to come up with this kind of plan without having to make the pedal?
If you made it, do you happen to have pics or anything? Could be helpful for Auke

The Tone God

Quote from: Valoosj on December 09, 2007, 06:28:15 AM
Or do you have the skills and knowledge to come up with this kind of plan without having to make the pedal?
If you made it, do you happen to have pics or anything? Could be helpful for Auke

Yes I breadboarded the design. I don't put anything up that I haven't built and tested. I also don't have any pics as I have since gutted the build. I'll see if I can rebuild it in a few days and post some pics to help out.

Andrew

Valoosj

junkwork

Quote from: The Tone God on December 08, 2007, 08:36:37 PM
anyone has large-size v1.0 schematic image? tonegod's one (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/TheToneGod/payback/payback.jpg) is too small for me I can't read values...

I can make a large version availible at the site later for you.

well was it done? I'll wait, thank you.

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: The Tone God on December 09, 2007, 02:20:54 PM
Quote from: Valoosj on December 09, 2007, 06:28:15 AM

Yes I breadboarded the design. I don't put anything up that I haven't built and tested. I also don't have any pics as I have since gutted the build. I'll see if I can rebuild it in a few days and post some pics to help out.

Andrew

Any chance you found the time to breadboard it?