New Effect: Payback

Started by The Tone God, June 30, 2006, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sta63bmx

I've got to build this now that there's a PCB layout! :)  I have absolutely no use for a looper and it would be a pretty worthless pedal for my own personal use, so I had better get to it soon.  Thanks so much to all of you who make layouts for the rest of us.

AL

:icon_eek: Wow, that's nice work.

What are you (Andrew and Zach) using to stand those boards up like that? Is there a special mount/board or are you mounting directly to the pots? Whatever it is where are you getting these parts? I'm getting tired of wasting space inside my boxes.

Thanks

AL

dano12

Wow, arrived late to this topic. This looks like a fantastic project, thanks for sharing.

I have nothing else to contribute, except another Lego shot.

The Tone God

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on July 10, 2006, 06:10:28 AM
Dont suppose you could record a short sound sample? Just of a backing guitar and solo guitar using the looper for the backing.
That'd be awesome.

I'm not really setup for recording so I can't offer any samples right now. I'll look into it though.

Quote from: sta63bmx on July 10, 2006, 12:49:08 PM
I've got to build this now that there's a PCB layout! :)  I have absolutely no use for a looper and it would be a pretty worthless pedal for my own personal use, so I had better get to it soon.  Thanks so much to all of you who make layouts for the rest of us.

I don't really have much use for one either but this was based on something I played with a long time ago when I was younger so I was reconnecting with something from my electronics past. Plus it was just a fun project to figure out.

Quote from: AL on July 10, 2006, 01:51:31 PM
What are you (Andrew and Zach) using to stand those boards up like that? Is there a special mount/board or are you mounting directly to the pots? Whatever it is where are you getting these parts? I'm getting tired of wasting space inside my boxes.

I'm connecting the board straight to the pots. Truth be told those are horizontal PCB mount 9mm pots I had lying around. I "converted" them to vertical mounting by sawing off the horizontal supports and carefully bending the legs.

I got my parts from Digikey.

Andrew

AL

QuoteI'm connecting the board straight to the pots. Truth be told those are horizontal PCB mount 9mm pots I had lying around. I "converted" them to vertical mounting by sawing off the horizontal supports and carefully bending the legs.

Thanks for the info. I think I may need to try that. Have you done it before? How do the pots hold up compared to standard panel mounted pots?

AL

The Tone God

Quote from: AL on July 11, 2006, 09:09:19 AM
Thanks for the info. I think I may need to try that. Have you done it before?

That was the first time I modded the horizontal pots to vertical and I wouldn't do it again as I used most of my old stock of pots up with that project. The pots I used are available in vertical mounting form but I had a bunch of these lying around and decided to use them up plus I was doing things on the cheap using parts I had lying around. Ten minutes to do the work was sufficient enough of a savings to not order the vertical parts for me.

Quote from: AL on July 11, 2006, 09:09:19 AM
How do the pots hold up compared to standard panel mounted pots?

The ones I used have plastic 6mm shafts. If you look at the internal pic there are four little tabs that wrap the plastic body. That is what holds them together. If you don't provided some stress relief one stomp on them will force them apart. The good news is that the stress relief can be the knob you use. Those knobs I used sit just above the mounting nut of the pot. If you put any serious pressure the knob will hit the nut protecting the pot. So its tough enough. The other thing to be aware of is there is only enough thread height on the pot to just clear the thickness of the Hammond case so getting the nut on is tricky and you won't get very much thread but that hasn't been an issue for me yet.

Andrew

Paul Marossy

QuoteI usually jump power supply runs before anything else.

Me, too.

I saw this thread earlier, but didn't have much time to chime in. That's a very cool project, and it's impressive that it is on such a small piece of perf. The bar keeps getting elevated around here these days!  :icon_cool:

caress

i'm about to start a payback and am wondering...would it be possible to use a spdt (?) switch or jumper to disable the vibrato and allow manual pitch shifting via the speed pot?

The Tone God

Quote from: caress on July 04, 2007, 01:27:45 AM
i'm about to start a payback and am wondering...would it be possible to use a spdt (?) switch or jumper to disable the vibrato and allow manual pitch shifting via the speed pot?

I would sooner disconnect the clock at the 10K resistor and put the pot in through the 10K. You can use the depth pot to make sure you don't go too far.

I will point out that you should set it back to full voltage when you record. This is normally done by the gate being overridden thru it's second input during the record cycle.

Andrew

caress

Quote from: The Tone God on July 04, 2007, 02:37:58 AM
I would sooner disconnect the clock at the 10K resistor and put the pot in through the 10K. You can use the depth pot to make sure you don't go too far.

the 10k between the 4093 and the 2n5088?  if so, do you mean to disconnect from the 10k and jumper directly to the emitter of the transistor?  then i could use the speed pot for the pitch shifting, yes?    ...also, what exactly is too far?   ???  is there a danger of damaging the chips?  etc...

I will point out that you should set it back to full voltage when you record. This is normally done by the gate being overridden thru it's second input during the record cycle.

any issues when recording with the lowered voltage?  i'm ok with it sounding crunchy or weird, i just don't want to damage anything....

The Tone God

Quote from: caress on July 04, 2007, 03:26:03 AM
the 10k between the 4093 and the 2n5088?  if so, do you mean to disconnect from the 10k and jumper directly to the emitter of the transistor?  then i could use the speed pot for the pitch shifting, yes?    ...also, what exactly is too far?   ???  is there a danger of damaging the chips?  etc...

Disconnect the 10K from the clock 4093's output so you still have the 10K going through the 100uF cap to the base of the transistor. The clock will be disconnected and you can insert your own pot.

any issues when recording with the lowered voltage?  i'm ok with it sounding crunchy or weird, i just don't want to damage anything....

If you go too low the IC may not function at all. I don't think you will damage the IC but the the charge injection method they use for recording starts having issues IIRC.

Andrew

caress

ok just so i'm sure about the manual pitch method...

disconnect where the red line is...then the pitch could be controlled with the depth pot?

alright, i should be done with this tomorrow.  all perfed up...i just need to box it and wire it!

The Tone God

Yep. Thats where I would do it. You will still still need to insert your own pot feeding into that 10K resistor. The depth pot will restrict how far the manual control will go but the depth pot in itself will not control the IC vibrato.

Andrew

caress

wouldn't the speed pot work as a manual pitch shift if i left the 4093 connected to the 100uf and the speed pot/1k connected to the 10k but disconnected the two?
like this:

i'm trying to leave the pot count low... ::)

The Tone God

Quote from: caress on July 04, 2007, 06:18:08 PM
wouldn't the speed pot work as a manual pitch shift if i left the 4093 connected to the 100uf and the speed pot/1k connected to the 10k but disconnected the two?

No. The speed pot is a part of the clock circuit and won't operate on its own. You are either going to need another pot or a more complex switching schem to make it work.

Andrew

StephenGiles

Many thanks, that looks excellent although I understand 2% of the text!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Paul Marossy

So, is there a verified PCB layout for this project yet? I am kind of intrigued by it, and have been considering getting/using a looper since it would seem to fit my musical personality...

The Tone God

I believe Michael Allen has a layout around here but I know there was one minor error which AFAIK has not been corrected. Otherwise I don't remember it be confirmed yet but someone may have so a search would be in order.

I have received reports of people building it according to the schematic successfully themselves using other methods.

Andrew

Paul Marossy

A PCB layout would be preferred due to limited time for building stuff these days...

The Tone God

Micheal Allen's layout is the only PCB layout publicly available that I am aware of.

Andrew