New Effect: Payback

Started by The Tone God, June 30, 2006, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tone God

Hello everyone,

I posted a new effect called Payback at the site. It is a looping sampler with a host of features. There is article explaining it's operation and several modification suggestions.

Enjoy.

The Tone God's Domain

Oh and about that little challenge:

;)

Happy Canada Day to all my fellow Canadians. Happy 4th of July to all my brothers and sisters to the south as well.

Your Tone God,

Andrew

Peter Snowberg

Mr. Lahey! Mr. Lahey!

Friggen' Tone God has done it again!

Nice job!

http://www.blockaholic.com/tpbwpage.htm
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

darryl

Tone God you are the best, I have been wanting to build a looper now I know which one. Thanks for giving us so much here at this forum.

Thanks Again

Darryl :icon_mrgreen:

KORGULL

Looks great! Can't get on your site to see more right now unfortunately (bandwidth exceeded).
Does it run very long on batteries?

The Tone God

Quote from: Peter Snowberg on June 30, 2006, 05:23:52 PM
Mr. Lahey! Mr. Lahey!

This should take care of Lego Randy:

Quote from: KORGULL on June 30, 2006, 05:34:33 PM
Looks great! Can't get on your site to see more right now unfortunately (bandwidth exceeded).
Does it run very long on batteries?

The site a smacked again ? Crap. I wasn't sure how busy it would get and if I should have off loaded the pics. I might just do that now.

Edit: I have moved the graphics to another host so the site should be able to handle more traffic.

I don't know how long it would last with batteries as I just finished it last night. I measured that current usage at 9mA in bypass and 21mA with both LEDs on. You can do the math from there. I'm sure the LEDs chosen would affect current consumption. I used a LDO regulator and the 25xx is put into sleep on bypass to reduce current consumption.

Andrew

nelson

That is some mighty fine work Andrew.

I have a 2560 that has this projects name on it.

I need to read the mod section again to determine how much point there is to utilising the multiple loop function.

As I understand it there is no overdub function, the multiple loop mod wont be too user friendly and to use the mod effectively I will have to be careful not to go over my alloted address timeslot. To select between more than two loops with a footswitch would take some electronic switching.

Despite the mod limitations this is by far the best looper DIY project yet.

Thanks and kudos on getting all that on perf and in a 1590b. If there was a thumbs up icon I would use it.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Eb7+9

... nice going Andrew

doing my patriotic duty in the Karmanah today with some Newfy Screech ...  :icon_wink:

that's great Peter ... LOL ...

Bernardduur

Very nice; I am impressed.......

Need to have those IC's..... then need to build this!
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

Michael Allen

Does it matter which inputs of the CD4093 are used? They're A and B but does it function the same if they are reversed? I'm half way done with my layout but have to go to work now.... balls..

The Tone God

Thanks for the good words everyone. I have to make this quick as my internet connection is behaving as the french would say "le crappy".

Quote from: Michael Allen on July 01, 2006, 05:56:32 PM
Does it matter which inputs of the CD4093 are used? They're A and B but does it function the same if they are reversed? I'm half way done with my layout but have to go to work now.... balls..

Yes inputs can be switched with the same result. Good luck and let us know how it works.

Now all my fellow Canadians can join in with me on this special holiday in our national anthem:

Oh! The good old hockey game,
    Is the best game you can name;
    And the best game you can name,
    Is the good old Hockey game!

Inside Canadian joke for rest of you wonderful worldwide folks.

Andrew

RaceDriver205

Arrgh!
I haven't a clue which looper to build now!
The cheapest IC is the ISD1020 from smallbear, anything above that costs mental money where I live! What do I do, what do I do!  ???
PS. that looper looks awesome

AzzR

Quote from: Peter Snowberg on June 30, 2006, 05:23:52 PM
Mr. Lahey! Mr. Lahey!

Nice job!

http://www.blockaholic.com/tpbwpage.htm
That lego had me pissing myself.

-Dream
A Broken Clock Is Right Twice A Day

Jaicen_solo

Excellent work Andrew, you certainly move a lot quicker than I ever do?!
There's some excellent features in your design which I wish i'd come up with, especially the ability to kill vibrato during playback!
With regards to the way in which you've achieved the vibrato, i'd actually come up with the same workaround independantly. I don't know if you recall me saying my version was a dirty hack so I went back to the drawing board with it ;)
Goddamn nice design!

nelson

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on July 02, 2006, 05:55:00 AM
Arrgh!
I haven't a clue which looper to build now!
The cheapest IC is the ISD1020 from smallbear, anything above that costs mental money where I live! What do I do, what do I do!  ???
PS. that looper looks awesome

http://www.futurlec.com/ICSFOthers.shtml
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

RaceDriver205

WOW!! Those prices are so low it doesn't even make sense!
Im really liking some of the things they sell too. UHF PIC! They've got 514256 DRAMS as well, which I really, really needed.

You really helped us out there nelson.

Will this work with a ISD25120P? Im liking the sound of 2minutes record time. Thanks loads for the new looper!  :icon_biggrin:

nelson

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on July 02, 2006, 08:45:05 AM
WOW!! Those prices are so low it doesn't even make sense!
Im really liking some of the things they sell too. UHF PIC! They've got 514256 DRAMS as well, which I really, really needed.

You really helped us out there nelson.

Will this work with a ISD25120P? Im liking the sound of 2minutes record time. Thanks loads for the new looper!  :icon_biggrin:

It will work with any of the ISD25xx family. As the time increases sound quality decreases. It will be decidedly Lo-fi if you opt for 2 mins.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

The Tone God

Thanks everyone! :)

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on July 02, 2006, 05:55:00 AM

One of the reasons the 1020 is cheap is that it is old and has less memory. Truth be told the circuit would be much simpler if I had used the 1020. Essentially most of the external logic I have in the Payback is inside the 1020. Hmm...maybe I will do a quick variation using the 1020. It may make the project more available to others who order mainly from Smallbear and help with the sales of the 1020 but the 1020 is becoming somewhat hard to find from other sources hence one of the reasons why I went with the 25xx. I would hope that if the Payback became popular enough that Smallbear would carry the 25xx ICs as other projects use it as well but who knows.

Edit: I just noticed that the 1020 is not made anymore. I was thinking of the 1420. Silly me. I'll stick with the 25xx.

I got my ICs from Digikey. They have the whole family of ISD recorder ICs.

Quote from: Jaicen_solo on July 02, 2006, 06:51:47 AM
Excellent work Andrew, you certainly move a lot quicker than I ever do?!
There's some excellent features in your design which I wish i'd come up with, especially the ability to kill vibrato during playback!
With regards to the way in which you've achieved the vibrato, i'd actually come up with the same workaround independently. I don't know if you recall me saying my version was a dirty hack so I went back to the drawing board with it ;)
Goddamn nice design!

Thanks Jaicen. :) The vibrato seemed kinda obvious so I am not surprised that you came up with the same thing too. I didn't like the optocoupler as it would have taken up room, be difficult to calibrate, and with the RoHS scare moving over to something that is commonly available was smart move.

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on July 02, 2006, 08:45:05 AM

Yes it will work with 25120 but as Nelson mentioned and I point out in the "recommendation" portion of the article the long the time the lower the fidelity. I recommend either the 2540 or 2575 for performance similar to the 1020. 75 seconds is alot of record time hence why I decided to split it with the multiple message function. The choice is yours of course.

And one more time for the world:

Oh! The good old hockey game,
    Is the best game you can name;
    And the best game you can name,
    Is the good old Hockey game!

Andrew

slacker

Very nice  :)

The switching looks much better than the design I came up with. I'll see if I can come up with a vero layout  :icon_mrgreen:

Dave_B

Quote from: nelson on June 30, 2006, 07:54:56 PM
If there was a thumbs up icon I would use it.
Feel free to use mine, although I guess it means different things in different places. 
Help build our Wiki!

j.frad

incredible work indeed, especially fitting all that in such a small box!
Do you plan on posting the pcb layout that you used to make it so tight?
That would be great!
greetings