Author Topic: Cases?  (Read 4356 times)

jgal127

Cases?
« on: July 20, 2006, 11:58:12 PM »
Sorry i'm totaly new to this, where do i get those great metal enclousers everyone has in there pics?
thanks in advance for all your help

jgal127

Re: Cases?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 12:02:10 AM »
Also i have another totaly unrelated question.....
after i have finished your first project, what is a good second project....
thanks again

KORGULL

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 12:51:54 AM »
Aluminum Enclosures and more: www.smallbearelec.com

There are many easy distortion circuits around that are great for a second project. The "Bazz Fuss" is really simple. You could also make a small amp like the "Ruby."

Ruby is here: http://www.runoffgroove.com/articles.html
Bazz Fuss: http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html

jgal127

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 01:10:47 AM »
Where do i get the speaker for the ruby, and what do i case it in

thanks for all the help

Mihkel

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 07:25:27 AM »
Where do i get the speaker for the ruby

Most people use small speakers they've found somewhere, but it really sounds better with a speaker designed for guitar use.

and what do i case it in

Whatever you feel like, let your imagination flow. Search the forum for Ruby and you'll see many creative (and cheap!) enclosures.

Good luck!

KORGULL

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 09:36:35 AM »
I used an old bookshelf-sized stereo speaker that I had laying around and it sounds fine. Better than I expected, actually. The amp circuit itself is housed in a standard 1590BB size aluminum enclosure - like you see used for stompboxes. It sits on top of the speaker and I made a short speaker cable to connect them. Personally, I'd try to find a speaker that is no smaller than 5 inches. Go to a thrift store or flea market or something and find an old stereo speaker for a couple dollars if you want to do it the cheap, easy way. If you want to buy a nicer speaker, this place is pretty good: www.partsexpress.com For best operation with the Ruby circuit, I think the speaker should be rated at no less than 8 ohms. Otherwise the circuit can get loaded down and overheat the chip.

jgal127

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 01:08:52 AM »
can i get a tube in a ruby?? if so how di i know wher to connect it??

sorry for the newbie questions

thanls again

KORGULL

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 01:23:38 AM »
No, it just uses an LM-386 IC. You should probably hold off a while before messing with tube circuits.