indyguitarist~ MD2 mod

Started by flavourful, July 17, 2006, 08:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flavourful

Has anyone had this done yet? I'm thinking about getting the mod sheet but at this point I'm not sure how it changes things. What's it do? does it smooth it out that buzzy dist. much, perhaps makes it a bit quieter? maybe a bit more hifi sounding? any comments appreciated!

wampcat1

What are you looking to change on the MD-2? The schematic is available so I'm sure one of us can help point you in the right direction. :)

The IG mod is just my take on parts replacement (simple type mods) to make the MD-2 sound better to my ears.

bw

flavourful

I'm looking to smooth out the distortion to a more usable level (it's buzzy and really artificial), make it a bit quieter, and open up the mids a bit maybe. I've barely glanced at the schematic but I'm willing to guess that I could round out the dist. with a couple of new diodes, probably put a couple on a switch. replacing some of the cheap caps would probably help with the noise it puts out. the last part is harder. I never can seem to get the tone control part figured out. I don't have any idea how it works on this thing, I've only dealt in simpler stompboxes trying to figure these things out. at the moment the md2 is like a background noise type pedal. I'd like a bit more mids to make it distinguishable in a mix, but now enough to put it into lead territory... well, maybe a bit. I don't even know if it's possible without an existing mids control. it seems like this thing could be a rhythm machine if done right, but right now it's rather unimpressive. any suggestions?

wampcat1

the schem:
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/pictures/bossmd2.jpg

I would start here:
Make r62 a 100k trim pot. Adjust to taste.
remove c12
change c40 to .022uf
change c100 to .1uf

then, looking at the schem, see the tlo72 with the 22k in the fb loop right after what is marked as the 'gain' control'? Insert diodes in parallel with that 22k or go to ground after the output of this same section. Also, see that .33uf cap at this same section off the previous fb loop? mess with that a bit, as well as the one at the stage before it (the gain boost), marked 2.2k/.22uf

Hope that helps! :)

bw

flavourful

wow, thank you, that looks like an awesome place to start. in fact, I'm going to get started right away. I think I have most of the components on hand. I'll update when I get it all finished. I might even have a before and after clip if I can work up th motivation to do get out the recording gear.   ~Thanks