Vanishing point V2.1 1590b sized PCB layout and some audio FX layouts.

Started by nelson, July 09, 2006, 01:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

I have been meaning to do this since TheToneGod released the article.

I have went out of my way to design the boards to fit in a 1590b and illustrated how they fit in the enclosure. The board measures 107mmX27mm and will fit in a 1590b vertically. I have included a hole on the main sequencer board to fit wires through as there will be no room. I recommend a stand off screwed into the back of the enclosure to mount the board as the alps pots have no mounting hardware.

I used a 40106 instead of 4093.

I included the manual mod.

I have also included add on boards for a wah, talking filter and tremolo.

Its unverified.

Anyone have the cahoneys to verify it?

:icon_question: :icon_razz:

http://www.esnips.com/web/nelsonsOtherStuff

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

searoad

very cool and nice job!!!!

a seekwah + tremolo!!
any sample?  it must be sweet!!!

hope i have the skill to build this!!

pbrommer

Awesome!!!! I've been waiting for an answer on how to link the audio board with that optocoupler at the end of the sequence circuit.
Now I have an excuse to build what I keep reading about (sequenced wahs, etc..).

*edit* figured it out.

Thanks for posting this and taking the time to draw this up.

Patrick
  • SUPPORTER

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

The Tone God

WOW! :o Geez, leave something for the others Nelson. ;) I'll take a look through it alittle later but thus far I am impressed.

Great work and effort on your part.

Andrew

P.S. Remember its the weekend and many access the forum during the week, probably from work. ;)

nelson

Quote from: The Tone God on July 09, 2006, 02:18:01 PM
WOW! :o Geez, leave something for the others Nelson. ;) I'll take a look through it alittle later but thus far I am impressed.

Great work and effort on your part.

Andrew

thanks,

Great design on your part.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

pbrommer

Did you have a reason to leave off two of the sequence stages? Just curious.
I've looked through the layout and schematic, and it seems to match up as well as I can see. Note I'm not verifying it. I'll take a look this afternoon or evening and see what I can make of it. Again, thanks for putting your time and effort into this layout.

Patrick
  • SUPPORTER

nelson

Quote from: pbrommer on July 09, 2006, 02:48:39 PM
Did you have a reason to leave off two of the sequence stages? Just curious.
I've looked through the layout and schematic, and it seems to match up as well as I can see. Note I'm not verifying it. I'll take a look this afternoon or evening and see what I can make of it. Again, thanks for putting your time and effort into this layout.

Patrick

The additional 2 pots wouldnt fit along the length of a 1590b.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

soggybag

Wow that's great work. I have a thing for the B sized box myself, I think this is the size effect pedals should be.

The Tone God

I took a quick look through. I found a few minor errors.

1. No pull down resistor on the reset pin. I don't know if you were going to suggest this as off board wiring. It could be done that way if you use the "ground input" style bypass.

2. The bypass reset switch is wired wrong. The stage selector switch should go to the top pole of the bypass switch.

3. Where is the "Blinking Stage LED During Reset" transistor stage ?

4. The feed to the optocoupler LED should go to the anaode and the cathode comes back to the limiting resistor (220R in you layout). Right now the 220R is wired straight to the pots with no break.

This was just a quick look over so feel free to smack me across the head if I didn't see something somewhere.

Andrew

nelson

Quote from: The Tone God on July 09, 2006, 04:23:44 PM
I took a quick look through. I found a few minor errors.

1. No pull down resistor on the reset pin. I don't know if you were going to suggest this as off board wiring. It could be done that way if you use the "ground input" style bypass.

2. The bypass reset switch is wired wrong. The stage selector switch should go to the top pole of the bypass switch.

3. Where is the "Blinking Stage LED During Reset" transistor stage ?

4. The feed to the optocoupler LED should go to the anaode and the cathode comes back to the limiting resistor (220R in you layout). Right now the 220R is wired straight to the pots with no break.

This was just a quick look over so feel free to smack me across the head if I didn't see something somewhere.

Andrew

Come here so I can smack you!

Nah, just kidding, your quite right. I have updated the PDF to include the corrections.

I connected the limiting resistor directly to the pots and to the transistor deliberately. The 220r is superfluous. wiring the beat/random suppression transistor this way wont change the way it operates AFAIK. This way I can avoid the extra wire(s) from the optocoupler(s) on the add on audio board.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Torchy

Nelson, fantastic work  :icon_eek:

I was hoping someone had a VP layout, it was driving me mad trying to figure out my own.
Thanks  :icon_lol:

The Tone God

Quote from: nelson on July 09, 2006, 05:53:11 PM
Come here so I can smack you!

Nah, just kidding, your quite right. I have updated the PDF to include the corrections.

:) Looks good. You didn't think that you were actually going to have any space left over like you had around the standoff did you ?

Quote from: nelson on July 09, 2006, 05:53:11 PM
I connected the limiting resistor directly to the pots and to the transistor deliberately. The 220r is superfluous. wiring the beat/random suppression transistor this way wont change the way it operates AFAIK. This way I can avoid the extra wire(s) from the optocoupler(s) on the add on audio board.

It would work but my only real gripe about it is that you are only conducting the current around the opto's LED and not disabling the stage LEDs. You are going to still see stage LEDs during random cycles. Thats why I decided to put the transistor in series with the opto/LEDs.

Andrew

nelson

Quote from: The Tone God on July 09, 2006, 07:55:11 PM
:) Looks good. You didn't think that you were actually going to have any space left over like you had around the standoff did you ?

No I didnt. :)

Quote from: The Tone God on July 09, 2006, 07:55:11 PM

It would work but my only real gripe about it is that you are only conducting the current around the opto's LED and not disabling the stage LEDs. You are going to still see stage LEDs during random cycles. Thats why I decided to put the transistor in series with the opto/LEDs.

Andrew

For the sake of one wire, I think I will change it. Your quite right again. I forgot to take the opto LED path to ground into account....

:icon_mad:
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

tiges_ tendres

wowser.  I'm still trying to get the clone theory finished.

Nelson, you have this knack for making awesome layouts for very desirable effects.  I for one very much appreciate all of your hard work.

Steve.
Try a little tenderness.

mojotron

Hmmmmm... Inspiring - really innovative guys - I'll have to build these, this is breaking new ground for me - thanks!!!

I love those 9mm pots! One of my favorite quotes "Give me enough knobs, I can control the world." From Mr. Vex

That weekend thing is the case with me, I spend weekends building - and do my reading/research during the week...

Cliff Schecht

What all is this pedal supposed to do? Haven't been able to figure this one out yet...

The Tone God

Quote from: nelson on July 09, 2006, 08:19:48 PM
For the sake of one wire, I think I will change it. Your quite right again. I forgot to take the opto LED path to ground into account....

Sorry. I know its a pain but it would make for a cleaner functioning circuit. Thanks. :)

Quote from: Cliff Schecht on July 10, 2006, 06:37:20 AM
What all is this pedal supposed to do? Haven't been able to figure this one out yet...

Its really two parts. One is control logic and the other is the audio. It allows you to use multiple pots to control a parameter then step through each control pot in sequence. If talking about a wah think of it like have a bunch of wah pedals with the rocker set at different levels then having the ability to turn each one on and off in sequence.

Andrew

mojotron

Quote from: The Tone God on July 10, 2006, 02:16:32 PM
Quote from: nelson on July 09, 2006, 08:19:48 PM

Sorry. I know its a pain but it would make for a cleaner functioning circuit. Thanks. :)

Quote from: Cliff Schecht on July 10, 2006, 06:37:20 AM

Its really two parts. One is control logic and the other is the audio. It allows you to use multiple pots to control a parameter then step through each control pot in sequence. If talking about a wah think of it like have a bunch of wah pedals with the rocker set at different levels then having the ability to turn each one on and off in sequence.

Andrew
The cool thing is that, although there are some products out there that are similar to this that use wah and trem audio as the audio function being acted on, you could apply the idea for any audio circuit really. Imagine a sequenced; distortion/trem|wah combo, flang|chorus (although it might get a little messy timewise), even a fuzz would work.

For those looking for the "not your fathers XXX effect" this is an idea that is immensely interesting.

Another interesting idea is to be able to apply the sequence to several different settings... For instance, assuming like a trem/distortion combo, perhaps set the sequence of pots for one setting like distortion (assuming something like a Guv'nor where the gain setting does not mess too much with the volume...) "gain" - store those settings, then set the sequence for the trem "depth" setting and have a foot switch to move between the 2. But, then again, without 2 sets of pots - this idea moves into uC land pretty quickly though. Just an idea - perhaps for the future - this can get a little crazy if you have ever tried something like this. 

Paul and Andrew thanks again - is there an update to the layout?