simple distortions, germanium diodes, and transistor orientation...

Started by cakeworks, July 21, 2006, 07:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cakeworks

hello good sirs (and perhaps madams)

Just a couple of questions about the below layout...
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/TheBigMan-Layouts/electra

It references two germanium diodes with no specifics... I don't know what a germanium diode is other than that its a diode that looks a bit similar to the zener diodes at tropical tv around the corner... is 'germanium' a nickname for a certain specific voltage capacity or is it that there is only one sort of germanium diode or, is it that i'm supposed to figure it out for myself...

also I have often wondered this and could probably find the answer anywhere on the web but i might as well throw this in while i'm at it; do the C, B, and E points on the transistor (on the layout) stand for? I'm sure it is these which give the orientation of the trannie but i'd just like to know what they mean (if anything)

thanks for your collective minds once more

-Jack
-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

aron

An example of a germanium diode is the 1N34a - like the ones I sell in the store link above. ;)

Seljer

Quote from: cakeworks on July 21, 2006, 07:46:09 PM
also I have often wondered this and could probably find the answer anywhere on the web but i might as well throw this in while i'm at it; do the C, B, and E points on the transistor (on the layout) stand for? I'm sure it is these which give the orientation of the trannie but i'd just like to know what they mean (if anything)
C B and E refer to the 3 terminals of a transitor: collecter, base and emittor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_junction_transistor

the pinouts of actual transistors vary so you have to look up the datasheet for the one you're using to figure out whats what
for most common NPN transistors its CBE looking towards the curved side of it

cakeworks

Quote from: aron on July 21, 2006, 08:07:35 PM
An example of a germanium diode is the 1N34a - like the ones I sell in the store link above. ;)

Do you take cash?  :P

I will soon have money in the bank and will begin purchasing large volumes of 3pdt switches from you, for sure.
-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton