Just built a Dr. Boogey (and my perf layout is verified now). Whoa.

Started by Xavier, July 27, 2006, 09:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

Holy SHIT !!!!!!!!!! :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

My quest for a high gain dist for metal has just ended.

Just threw in all 5 J201's biased at 4.5V, as is, and after some minor debugging it works. It's my first perfboard built so I forgot a couple of jumpers. Still have to check if all the circuit is correct, but through the oscilloscope it looked more or less OK.

This thing plain rocks. It has everything. Palm mutes sound awesome, has sustain for days, the eq works like a charm, and it has more gain than I will ever use. The basic timbre is dense and silky.

Don't know if this is what a Rectifier is supposed to sound, but man, after so many dist builds, this is something really special.

What is better, it complements perfectly with the BSIAB. The BSIAB is more heavy rock'n'roll and this is heavy metal and beyond.

Obviously I've tested it at low volume and not in the rehearsal with my rig, so I still have to see how it works within a gig situation, but so far........ I got a big smile when I've fired it up for the first time.

Great, great dist pedal. Can't wait to box it up.

joelap

... and here I am wasting my time (and money) on an octavia!  :)  Good to hear that you're liking the Dr. Boogey.  I've been meaning to get around to build some of these JFET amp sims, especially the Boogeyman, Dr. Boogie, and Professor Tweed. 

Would there be any way you could post some clips?
- witty sig -

Xavier

Quote from: joelap on July 27, 2006, 10:01:46 AM
... and here I am wasting my time (and money) on an octavia!  :)  Good to hear that you're liking the Dr. Boogey.  I've been meaning to get around to build some of these JFET amp sims, especially the Boogeyman, Dr. Boogie, and Professor Tweed. 

Would there be any way you could post some clips?

Not at the moment. I still need to buy the enclosure, so I don't expect to have it fully finished in less than a couple of weeks. The clips I've heard so far don't make justice (no pun intended) to this circuit.

I'm also curious about what is the difference with the boogeyman soundwise

Nashtir

Could you guys post a site where to find a dr. boogeyr layout and pcb? And where could I find a dr.tweed??thanks guys!!!

dano12

MartyMart

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

bluetubes

Xavier, do you have your Perf layout posted?  I'm not geared up for etching so I perf everything I attempt.  A perf layout of a Dr. Boogie would be awesome.

Thanks,
BT

Bucksears

Great, Xavier. It's probably the nicest distortion box I've ever encountered for that high-gain, palm-chug sound. I can't imagine getting a higher gain sound, which is why I use an MPF102 for Q1.
It's the top-ceiling for me as far as gain goes (don't want more than that), and you're right, the BSIAB II is the perfect compliment to it being a very 'Marshall-y' box. I just need to fill in a few gaps in between: Vox/hot-Vox overdrive, plus a low-gain OD and that would probably do me.

As far as clips go, the ones I put out there do NOT do that box justice.

- Buck

Xavier

Quote from: bluetubes on July 27, 2006, 11:41:55 AM
Xavier, do you have your Perf layout posted?  I'm not geared up for etching so I perf everything I attempt.  A perf layout of a Dr. Boogie would be awesome.

Thanks,
BT

Here you go, but be aware. Torchy wisely warned me that this layout was TOO compact. Some caps are tricky to place because of their size, and definitely use vertical mounted trimmers.

Otherwise, it works .

Bucksears, I didn't mean to be harsh about the sound samples. I myself find very difficult to have a good guitar tone direct to DAW

Xavier

BTW at low gain settings (which I don't think I'll use that much anyway :icon_mrgreen:), I perceive like an octave-down effect. Anyone else has experienced this? Still needs to be completely checked and debugged though

RDV

I find mine a bit on the high-endy side. Does anyone else experience this? I have to keep the treble WAY down on mine.

Perhaps I should do a component check as I've put wrong values in before, and my eyesite seems to get worse by the day now, it's terribly hard for me to see part values these days. Resistors I just have to measure. I fear I'm in need of quadfocals or something horrible like that.

RDV

Xavier

Quote from: RDV on July 27, 2006, 02:36:48 PM
I find mine a bit on the high-endy side. Does anyone else experience this? I have to keep the treble WAY down on mine.

Perhaps I should do a component check as I've put wrong values in before, and my eyesite seems to get worse by the day now, it's terribly hard for me to see part values these days. Resistors I just have to measure. I fear I'm in need of quadfocals or something horrible like that.

RDV

In fact and after playing through it at a decent volume, I was going to ask how to get MORE treble out of it. It's kinda dark sounding (I'm serious). I like bright pedals :icon_mrgreen:

Stephen

Has anyone hooked up a dpdt switch and experience sqeul......It is a quad inversion so oscillation is very inheritable...

I would think that maybe the buffer at the end helps ...but I just know if I build this it will squel being of four inversions and such high gain...ANY answers would be nice...

Nice layout Xavier.

Seljer

Quote from: Xavier on July 27, 2006, 02:55:10 PM
In fact and after playing through it at a decent volume, I was going to ask how to get MORE treble out of it. It's kinda dark sounding (I'm serious). I like bright pedals :icon_mrgreen:

My guess is that either mess with the capacitor on the prescence control, or if that doesn't work, mess around with the tonestack in http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/

Though the real Mesa ARE dark voiced amps too so I guess thats what the goal was when the pedal was designed..

Branimir

Is there a variant with a different tonestack? one knob tonestack of some sort, perhaps?
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

tcobretti

Branimir: You should breadboard it and play with different types of Tone knob configurations.  You could take any tone knob from any schem, plug it into that schem and see how it works.  You could even just omit it altogether. 

Or maybe Mark Hammer's:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/FlexibleMetalEQ.gif

Somicide

Question about the layout:
"VR" is trimpots, right?  Also, on the pot wiring k8 is mentioned for 2 leads off of "gain."  I assume it's supposed to be L8 for gnd, yes?
Peace 'n Love

PaulC

I'm a tube guy by trade, and I've been thinking alot about circuits like these, and what's really going on with the tube side of things.

One thing that's been left out, but was addressed here a week or so ago, is the effect of miller capacitance in tubes, and how to sim those in these circuits.  If you look at the circuit you'll see a 220k feeding into the 4th stage.  When used with a tube that resistor does a couple of  things.  One is it has an effect on bias shift which is pretty hard to get the jfets to do anyway, but the other is it sets up a filter with a miller cap that has a value around 150pf or so.  the value is gain related, and can be calculated if you really want to get picky about it.  call it 150p, and you've got a -3db point at about 4800hz. 

At the second stage there's also a series 470k resistor, but the real value of what the miller cap would be is around 150p instead of the shown 20.  This would give a roll off around 2200hz.  again these are average numbers because the real value of the effect is gain dependent, but 150pf is close for common circuits.  Also that 1n bright cap is pretty big, and the 150p miller cap helps to offset it's effect.

The 3rd stage is different.  It has very little gain, and the miller cap is very low because of that.  This circuit is based on the Soldano SLO.  The circuit uses a 39k cathode resistor with the 3rd stage.  This has a major asym clipping effect with very little gian.  The wave shape has a serious chop to the top of the wave form.  I think what might work better is to replace the 3rd stage with an asym diode setup.   It would  give you the hard asym clip while keeping the gain under control going to the 4th stage.

But I've not tried this yet - it's just a thought.  PaulC

I like ham, and jam, and spam alot

tcobretti

PaulC, this is interesting stuff that is pretty much over my head.  Is there a way to measure/guess what the appropriate miller cap values would be and how to correctly apply them for us dumber DIYers?

bluetubes

Sweet!!  Thanks Xavier.  I gotta give this one a go.   :icon_biggrin: