hi anyone know what these are??

Started by aqautarkus, July 31, 2006, 04:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aqautarkus

on an old line booster pcb, two little blue teardrop shaped components with the numbers 1016 on them, cant read anything else on them, but no currents going to anything connected after them when the effects on, any ideas on what to replace them with? cheers once again fellas for your shared wisdom!!
chris

zpyder

hmmmmmmm sounds like a 1uF capacitor?  perhaps tantalum...  The tantalum capacitors I've bought are all tear shaped, but yellow/orange.

the 1016 sounds like a cap indicator to me, though I'm sure there's someone else that would know better.  Cap #'s are like this:  Take the first two, and then divide by 10 as many times as the third number.  Dividing by 10 also means moving the decimal one place to the left.  So 473 becomes 47/1000 = .047uF  1016 would be 10/10 = 1 but I have no clue what the 6 is all about.

hope this helps...

zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

comfortably_numb

My boss BD-2 has blue tantalum caps in it.

object88

That's because it's a Blues Driver.

<ducks, runs away>

markm

I have some Blue tants in my parts bin right now as a matter of fact.
That is probably what yer lookin' at on that board.

aqautarkus

hi thanks for the swift replies, is there any specific need for these, or can i get by using a ceramic cap if possible of the same value, just to get it working, or is this not possible, like i say im a complete newbie at this so any help greatly appreciated, cheers
chris

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Possibly 10 uF, 16V.
At least one tantalum cap has been marked in this unorthodx fashion
(if the 10 is above the 16, then that's DEFINITELY it).

zpyder

hmmm.. what are the special characteristics of a tantalum cap??
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

Ge_Whiz

Big capacitance, small size. An electrolytic of the same spec. will do as a replacement, if you can fit it in.

zpyder

I see, thanks Ge_Whiz...

Is that all there is to it?  Compact design?  (Not that it's no good...)

zpyder

Coriolis

Eh, are tants polarized? I seem to remember theyre not, so be sure you know what youre doing before you put a polarized electrolytic in there. Otherwise it might go pop...

C
Check out some free drum loops and other sounds at my site: http://www.christiancoriolis.com

DiyFreaque

QuoteEh, are tants polarized?

Yes, and with a vengance.  Hell hath no fury like a tant reversed.  They're the Willy Peter of the capacitor world.

Cheers,
Scott

aqautarkus

cheers fellas, yup, little blue ballon type thing 10 on top 16 at the bottom, been reading and if polarity reversed they die, so ill replace with same value and hopefully get it sorted thanks again chaps!!
chris