Lovetone Brown Source Project.

Started by nelson, July 29, 2006, 06:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

Quote from: 9 volts on August 03, 2006, 07:52:26 AM
Hey there I've had a go at the pcb layout and seem to be having trouble. I'm getting a sound but it's really blatty

There are two capacitors that may be giving grief.
1- the 47u is it non polarized or polarized ?
2 the 4u7 from the vol pot - 220r to the 3k9. Wondering about the correct direction.

I'm using a 2n3904 which  I figured should be ok.

Has anyone completed and rocked out with this one yet? I can't wait to get this one happening
Thanks

The PCB layout has been verified by me.

2N3904 should be fine.

the 47ú is polarised with the negative going to ground.

I think the orientation of the 4ú7 output cap is correct on the schematic.

The flat side is positive, the curved negative.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

9 volts

Thanks I'll check it out.
Could I also clarify if the '0 r ' resistor is a jumper or nothing (it joins to the ic). Thanks again once this is clarified I'll start checking the voltages etc

Torchy

Mine sounds garbage with a 3904 - I used Keens second law and used a 2N5089 ok.

alteredsounds

I'm still have some probs with the veroboard layout, i've built enough of your layouts Torchy to know that it's a problem I've done but if someone could post some readings that would be a great help.

Can I just confirm that lugs 2 & 3 of the volume pot are connected together and the output is from here?

Cheers,
Nick,

Torchy

erm, no, check the schematic ... output is from lug 2, lug3 goes to the veroboard.

MartyMart

lug 3 - circuit
lug 2 - output jack/switch
lug 1 - ground

MM

EDIT : Torchy beat me to it !
I used 2N5088, then found an MPSA18 to be a little better
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

alteredsounds

Sorry that was a typo, I have lugs 2 & 1 tied together and going to output and 3 to the board.  So 1 needs to be grounded then?

nelson

I used BC549C.....

:)

Wire the volume pot like almost every other volume pot. Lug 1 ground, Lug 2 output, Lug 3 input.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

9 volts

I just put in a bc549c and bought/discovered the 0r0 resistor (I'd never heard of one of these before) and put this in also and have been rockin out with the brown source!
This thing is great fun, particularly for that easybeats/ kinks/rolling stones stuff. Seems to work better on the Humbuckers than the single coils.
Thanks once again Nelson for the great job! I've built pretty much every version of this over the last few months and it's great to finally have one that works!!!

nelson

Quote from: 9 volts on August 04, 2006, 05:47:23 AM
I just put in a bc549c and bought/discovered the 0r0 resistor (I'd never heard of one of these before) and put this in also and have been rockin out with the brown source!
This thing is great fun, particularly for that easybeats/ kinks/rolling stones stuff. Seems to work better on the Humbuckers than the single coils.
Thanks once again Nelson for the great job! I've built pretty much every version of this over the last few months and it's great to finally have one that works!!!

It is a joy to play, its really responsive to dynamics.

You could have just used a jumper. I only put that in the layout as thats what the original used instead of a jumper.

It likes the humbuckers and it really loves being fed a clean boost.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

alteredsounds

Still having problems!    I've got 2 different tone positions on the rotary pot working fine, 1 pf the others is silent and the other is just audible.  Tone and volume works fine, Gain knob very slightly does something to the tone.  How much gain should there be?

nelson

Quote from: alteredsounds on August 05, 2006, 02:02:31 PM
Still having problems!    I've got 2 different tone positions on the rotary pot working fine, 1 pf the others is silent and the other is just audible.  Tone and volume works fine, Gain knob very slightly does something to the tone.  How much gain should there be?

The vero Layout isnt my domain.

My advise is to check everything against the schematic.

You have most likely wired the rotary switch incorrectly.

Sounds like you have wired the gain control incorrectly too. It should be wired as a variable resistor.

Check the values in the voltage divider (two 22Ks).

Which dual opamp do you have in there?

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

alteredsounds

Hi Nelson.  I tried a TL072 in there and now have a OPA2277 in it.  Tripled checked the resistors, especially the 22k's, no probs.  Using a 2N5089.  Rotary switch must be wired wrong as you say but I'd like to get some gain going then look at that a bit more.

Cheers,
Nick,

nelson

Quote from: alteredsounds on August 05, 2006, 02:38:00 PM
Hi Nelson.  I tried a TL072 in there and now have a OPA2277 in it.  Tripled checked the resistors, especially the 22k's, no probs.  Using a 2N5089.  Rotary switch must be wired wrong as you say but I'd like to get some gain going then look at that a bit more.

Cheers,
Nick,

Audio probe. Make sure that you are getting a clipped signal on the output of the first opamp stage.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Torchy

Vero corrected (trace cut between R7 & R8).

lowstar

hey everybody,

it seems to me that the pcb and the schemo below it are not matching each other.
one of the inner lugs of the 3p4w switch is connected to one of the outer ones on the pcb, but not on the schem (b to 4).
it then continues to 4u7, 33n and 3k9.
whereas positions 6+7 go to 3k9, 33n and tone poti, but again, only on the pcb, not the schem.

the vero layout by torchy was built according to the schem, so it is working (i built it), but not correctly.

i will try to incorporate the changes in the veroboard layout now to see what happens.

but if nelsons happens to stumble across my post in the meantime, i guess the pcb layout is correct (since you built it and tried it out) ?

cheers,
lowstar
effects built counter: stopped counting at 100

Herr Masel

Great work, sorry to hijack the thread, but Nelson - what software did you use to draw the schematic and pcb?
Thanks..

nelson

Quote from: lowstar on August 22, 2006, 09:57:15 AM
hey everybody,

it seems to me that the pcb and the schemo below it are not matching each other.
one of the inner lugs of the 3p4w switch is connected to one of the outer ones on the pcb, but not on the schem (b to 4).
it then continues to 4u7, 33n and 3k9.
whereas positions 6+7 go to 3k9, 33n and tone poti, but again, only on the pcb, not the schem.

the vero layout by torchy was built according to the schem, so it is working (i built it), but not correctly.

i will try to incorporate the changes in the veroboard layout now to see what happens.

but if nelsons happens to stumble across my post in the meantime, i guess the pcb layout is correct (since you built it and tried it out) ?

cheers,
lowstar

The PCB layout is 100% correct(its essentially a rerouted trace of the original).

I dont have time to update the schematic.

Feel free to draw one and upload it.

I use MS Visio for all my artwork.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

lowstar

i think i solved the vero layout problem.
i implied my changes today and the circuit seems to work.

the corrections are as follows:
bridge from row2 to row3: move two holes to the right
row2/hole14: add trace cut
S1-B: move to row3/hole3
add a wire bridge from row3/hole14 to row5/hole21

counting is from left/up row1/hole1

can anybody confirm ?

cheers,
lowstar
effects built counter: stopped counting at 100

alteredsounds

Quote from: lowstar on August 25, 2006, 06:34:45 AM
i think i solved the vero layout problem.
i implied my changes today and the circuit seems to work.

the corrections are as follows:
bridge from row2 to row3: move two holes to the right
row2/hole14: add trace cut
S1-B: move to row3/hole3
add a wire bridge from row3/hole14 to row5/hole21

counting is from left/up row1/hole1

can anybody confirm ?

cheers,
lowstar

Cheers, I've got a finished version (vero) that def isnt right, I will make those changes tonight and fingers crossed that will sort it :)