Would this be a good first-build pedal?

Started by Snuffy, August 01, 2006, 01:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snuffy

http://buildyourownclone.com/phaser.html

Keep in mind I'm about as smart as a monkey when it comes to building pedals.

cakeworks

no. not at all.

Even though pcb's are kinda like paint by numbers, a lot can still go wrong for newbies like you and I. I suggest you start with a really simple booster or fuzz.
check out tonepad.com and generalguitargadgets.com, also check out the layouts gallery right here (link up the top of the page), the dragonflyfx album is full of great stuff.

good luck!
-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

Snuffy

Yeah, I think I'm going to be ambitious and go for this pedal... hopefully its not too terrible of an idea.
I really want an original phase
Thanks though

syndromet

This is really to big for a first project... I've buildt about 15 circuits by now, and I wouldn't even atempt that one. Beeing your first build, I bet it won't fire up at the first atempt, and something like that is a PITA to debug. I'd say this is a circuit for advanced builders, and it's more likely you'll end up pissed off by the thing you can't get to work, than happy with your new phaser. You should at least build a few circuits before atempting this.

You should listen to cakeworks, and start with a simple booster or fuzz, and then mod that to learn what each part does. I would recomend the Bazz Fuzz from www.home-wrecker.com. Great fuzz, kind of "21.st century schizoid man"-sounding.

Soundclipp

Love your Crimson avatar, by the way.
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

RaceDriver205

I say go for it, snuffy! Phase is a good effect.

d95err

If you know how to solder, you can't go wrong with a kit like that. If you don't know how to solder, practice a little and then you can't go wrong...

Go for it!

smnm

Quote from: d95err on August 01, 2006, 06:37:25 AM
If you know how to solder, you can't go wrong with a kit like that. If you don't know how to solder, practice a little and then you can't go wrong...

byoc have their own forum so you can get support directly, or from other builders who have buit the exact same kit. 

You can also check out the online instructions before buying - if they look confusing, start with a simpler thing - see http://www.buildyourownclone.com/phaser.html -

a word of caution though - there are 6 op amps on there, each with 8 connections, and 28 resistors, that all have to be soldered perfectly for it to work - I personally wouldn't attempt this - way too many things to get wrong!  but if you are good at paying attention to detail and have some time on your hands - have a go, but be prepared to fail, at least at first. Practice soldering, and check each joint as you go along.

petemoore

A bit of practice on something small may or may not be necessary...
  Here's some tips...
  Observe polarities of ALL polarized components
  Measure every resistor just prior to installing.
  ...ask questions 'till you've got confidence, Take your time with every aspect of it...
  Use sockets for the IC's
  it's ok to keep hopes high, but keeing expectations...low...can prevent alot of dissapointment and frustration...
  A first project like this could be looked at as:
  Possibly a long climb, over your head
  Possibly a rather steep route to learning experience
  NOT the quickest way to phase tone
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

newbie builder

That's a fine first project- if you were attempting to source all your own parts and perf that I'd say no. However my first project was a fully loaded BYOC delay kit. Much more complicated than a fuzz, and I had almost no soldering expirience....the thing fired up and sounded great the first time. Any BYOC is a good first project because if you are carefull the chances it'll work the first time are very good.
//