News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Your DIY rig

Started by cakeworks, August 02, 2006, 04:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cakeworks

Ok, for a bit of fun, I'm not sure where this belongs so mods feel free to move it if you must... even though you would anyway... hehe

okay anyway, basically what the idea is, you can design your ideal diy rig. Nothing may be bought, but things may be cloned.

Here are the rules:

ALL pedals and amps must be diyable, stuff from tonepad or ggg or similar, or your own designs.

you are only allowed 2 modulation pedals, 3 boosters or overdrives or distortions, 1 comp, 2 delays, 1 trem, one wah (if it's an auto q it doesn't count, that'd go in the modulation).

See if you like it. If you don't, well i'll feel really hurt... not
-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

MartyMart

OK , here's what I have with a couple that I dont, marked with ** :
( didn't quite stick to the number limit !! )

Flatline compressor
AMZ Mosfet boost
Dragonfly's Sparkle Boost
Mark Hammers The Crank
Fooltone Fooldrive
DIY DS-1
Tech  21 XXL ( or coloursound OD or Rat or Mongoose/spitfire or Blackfire/Vulcan )
Tremulous Lune
Phase45/Univibe
"Tonepad CE-2" **
DIY Delay (PT80 ?) **

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

cakeworks

oops, forgot to post mine

I'd have a small clone clone, a leslie simluator, a brian may treble booster, a tubescreamer (probably something 808ish), and a fuzz face. I'd go with an AD 3208 (one of the analogue delays on ggg), and i'd have a crack at one of the boss analogue delays, i'd have a tremulus lune, and i dont think i'd have a wah.

Sorry, yes i'm a kid who's all excited about dreaming of what the future might hold and i like telling you about all the pretty noises i like  :)

peace.

-Jack
-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

Branimir

Orange type preamp into LTP phase inverter into 2xEL34 output section (renegade with a different preamp)
DIY 4x10" sized cab with 2x12" vintage 30s. (actually it's an old 2x12" - 2x10"  cab made in eastern germany 20 years ago, that i modified a bit hehe). I used an old marshall chassis and woordwork.
And here's the next amp I'm working on, it's technically identical to the one mentioned before, but with a "original" head cab design and all... (still not finished)

All effects diy too:
Green Muff
Opamp Muff
Tremulus Lune
Small Stone

Of course I don't use both muffs, I usually use only the green one.. ;)

Actually I use this rig for one of my bands, and for the other one, I'm looking for an alternative to my modded ds2 - it does sound good, but I would rather use something diy, maybe i'm a diy purist heheh :) any suggestions? You can pm me, so this topic doesn't go off topic!

ps: hehe, basist from my band (crop circle) uses mr Kreuzer's DIY preamp into crown slave into DIY 2x15" rcf loaded cabinet. You could call us a DIY band ;) And in the other band, I'm building the flipster for my gf/bass player to use it with the already mentioned crown slave and 2x15".
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

KerryF

Boost/Overdrive/Distortion:
Day Drive (Self-Designed extremely versitile Overdrive and Distortion pedal).
4uzz (Self-Designed pedal with 4 fuzzes in 1 box.  It uses a circuit but changes a few parts around and things to give a low octave fuzz, synthy fuzz, bassy thick fuzz, and a smoother trebley fuzz).
Smooth Boost (Self-Designed pedal that is also extremely versitile.  Has a Smooth Overdrive and Boost).

Comp:
Orange Squeezer

Mod:
Phaser 45
CE-2

Delay:
PT-80

hilbi

see my signature for all i have built,

the ones I currently use are:

MXR Dynacomp
AMZ Mosfet Boost
AMZ Super Buffer
Blue Magic
Peppermill
BSIABII
AMZ Mini Booster
MXR Phase 45 Univibed

I also use a modded vox V847 wah, a modded black big muff, an ibanez cs9, an ibanez fl301dx and a line6 dl4.
hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

sfr

My dream rig; fortunately enough it's what I'm playing!

DIY guitar ->
Ampeg Scrambler->
LPB/Brian May Treble Boost into Distortion+ (One box)->
Tychobrahe Octavia ->
Small Clone ->
Ibanez Flanger (Would really like to replace this with a DIY build sometime soon - trying to decide between a few designs right now)->
Volume Pedal ->
Tremface ->
Rebote 2 Delay ->
Crate V30H Head (looking at building a DIY amp head this winter, still trying to decide what, probably a AC15/AC30 type) ->
DIY 2x12 cab (Eminence Texas Heat and Governor speakers)

There's more I'd like to stick in there ; I have an Electro-Harmoniz HOG on order.  I'd love to get my hands on one of the Ampeg Dan Armstrong guitars, as I hear they're reissuing them.  I'm working on another guitar now.  I'd like to get around to building a phaser and/or a vibe.  I'm trying to get my parapedal working.  I have a compressor built, but I don't use it much, (I've got a tube amp, what do I need one for? Although I'm playing more clean stuff, so it could be usefull.)  I've got a bunch of distortions, both DIY and bought kicking around, I'm thinking I need a Big Muff again.  BSIAB that just needs offboard wiring.  I have boards for a few delays kicking around.  A Slow Gear that needs tinkering.  (although now I wonder how it compares to things like the PAIA Gator, the String Damper or such.  And whether I really need this effect when I have a volume pedal I use for swells.)  Someday - a microsynth. 

I honestly don't feel like I can ever have enough pedals, but I need to work on getting my "playing out" rig manageable.  I have two bands, and one is all pedal-riffic, the other is guitar->LPB->volume pedal->amp.   

I have so much respect and thanks for people like the folks at Geofex, Tonepad, GGG, all the folks at this forum, Project Guitar, and others that make it possible for me to have things like this.  It's a great sense of pride knowing that you built 80-90% of your rig, and I certainly couldn't have done it w/o the help of the good folks here.

sent from my orbital space station.

brett

Hi
3 of my 4 amps are DIY or semi-DIY: Firefly (1W), Marshall 18W and Marshall JTM 45
2 modulation pedals:
Phase 45 and maybe a flanger
3 boosters or overdrives or distortions:
Stratoblaster, Fuzzrite and Fuzzface
1 comp:
with amps and fuzzes like those, I got bags of compression!
2 delays
maybe a Rebote 1 (coz it's simple)
1 trem
don't like trems, but some people were happy with EA trems I made for them
one wah
I made one to my own design, using a magnet and hall effect sensor (ugn35??), but Dunlop is really hard to beat.

Plus an A/B box and mixer/splitter for the amps.

Hey, that lot is what's on my loungeroom floor!
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

petemoore

HB/SC pickups in LP>
  *EQ> [behr]
  PHaze 90>
  Wah>
  FF>
  Green Ringer >
  Mosfet Boost/Dist+ >
  *Echo Park  [Line 6]>
  1 or 2 Tweed Deluxe clones >
  2x12'' Greenbacks / 2x12'' Alnico blue/alnico
  ,,,for this week anyhoo...

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Doug_H

Presently used:
Loop Selector
Highway89 Overdrive (modded- hey, I'm a modder! I'm modder! :icon_mrgreen:)
Octal Fatness tube amp

These get switched in & out (I change things all the time):
Rangemaster
Shaka Braddah
Npn Boost
Hot Silicon

Everything else is "strictly commercial"...

The reason I don't use a lot of diy pedals in my rig at any given time is because I mainly build distortions. And how many friggin' distortions do you really need?!? :icon_mrgreen:

petemoore

And how many friggin' distortions do you really need?!?
  Enough to choose the ones you 'Have to Have'...or...all of them!!!
   ;D
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

morcey2

jfet buffer
Orange Squeezer
ROG Thunderchief
or
ROG Professor Tweed
into SS crate amp

or AX84 HO All by it's lonesome.

Will be into a plexi6V6 also within the next couple of weeks.

The next pedals are probably going to be either delay, chorus, both maybe.  Also an a/b/y box.

Matt 

Eric H

Quote from: Doug_H on August 02, 2006, 09:56:43 AM

Hmmmmm...if you mod your own design --is it modding? :icon_confused:
Maybe I'm thinking of one hand clapping in the forest...or something.

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

Doug_H

Quote from: petemoore on August 02, 2006, 11:40:22 AM
And how many friggin' distortions do you really need?!?
  Enough to choose the ones you 'Have to Have'...or...all of them!!!
   ;D

I guess the blessing/curse is having so many to choose from. But I treat it like women treat their shoes. I may have 50 pairs at home but I'm not going to try to wear all of them when I leave the house... :icon_wink:

Doug_H

Quote from: Eric H on August 02, 2006, 12:14:55 PM
Hmmmmm...if you mod your own design --is it modding? :icon_confused:
Maybe I'm thinking of one hand clapping in the forest...or something.

-Eric

...Or whether it's really sex when you just have it with your... Oh, never mind... :icon_mrgreen:

MartyMart

Quote from: Doug_H on August 02, 2006, 01:13:11 PM

...Or whether it's really sex when you just have it with your... Oh, never mind... :icon_mrgreen:

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Dragonfly

Quote from: Doug_H on August 02, 2006, 09:56:43 AM

isn't that called "ongoing product development", and not "modding ?  :D

Andre

My current rig:

Dod 280 compressor
Bluesbreaker
Rat
EasyVibe
Small Clone
Ross Phaser
Rebote 2.5

into Peavey Deltablues

All except the EasyVibe are Tonepad's layouts

André

powerplayj

with limitations you suggested....

guitar -> Axis Fuzz (or 69 Fuzz) -> Neovibe -> Tonepad wah -> Ross comp clone -> Thunderchief -> AMZ MOSFET Boost -> EFFECTS LOOP IN: Mr. EQ -> PT-80 EFFECTS LOOP OUT

I'd miss my my modded TS-9 before the Thunderchief though.  The Thunderchief plays exceptionally well with an OD and booster.
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

jrc4558

Currently:
Fender Stratocater, American Standard (2001), DiMarzio VIrtual Vintage single coils.
Maestro FSH (tonepad)->Wah (tonepad)->Craig Anderton Compressor(perf)-> TS(tonepad)->Red Fuzz(GGG)-> RAT(tonepad)->Microamp(tonepad)->EA trem(runoffgroove)->Ross Phaser(tonepad)->SmallClone(tonepad)->Digitech Digital Delay(commercial effect).
Wah has a built-in buffer to help with all the mechanical bypass losses.
All goes to Fender DeVille 212 and its preamp output feends the Banshee talk box.
I probably have twice as many pedal as I use at a time, but this is the curent setup. After building so bloody many of them, they dont fit o nthe board anymore! And heavy too! :D