"Birth of an amp-sim rack" - photo essay

Started by MartyMart, August 04, 2006, 06:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

http://www.pbase.com/martymart/image/64588318

Here's the photo's, use the "next" prompt to scroll through the build .

This wonderful "virgin" rack was donated to the cause, by a friend who found it in a skip at work ! ( many thanks :D )
I wanted to have a few of my "prized" Jfet amp sims in one rack with a speaker sim at the end also.
After much deliberation, I decided on the following circuits :

ROG Supreaux
My own '59 Bassman
ROG Matchbox
Marshall speaker sim ( smaller version 2x dual opamps )

The decision also took note of the fact that my "Classic 30" and "Dr Boogey" were already boxed up and
I have "issues" with my Thunderchief and a couple of others, these selected circuits were working perfectly
and all offboard wiring was done and also working 100%
When I do this again, I'll decide on the circuits and probably build them on one "large" piece of vero, the
fairly "tight" wire ups, gave me a few problems , but kept wire runs quite short, other than the input wire
and power/ground, I have no noise or hum issues at all :D

The front rack panel is brushed aluminium, but it has a 1mm steel plate inside ( part of the rack chassis ) so
drilling through this, even with my Unibit was a PITA !
I had to "clamp" next to every drill point, as the drill would "push" the steel away and not "cut" into it otherwise
I found this out very quickly !!
Cardboard pieces were used to prevent the clamp from damaging the front panel : PHOTO

http://www.pbase.com/martymart/image/64588326

My original measurements were quite accurate, but once I hit "steel" things went a bit astray !
I had left a few mm's for safety and luckily everything fits and is "almost" straight 'n true .
I decided to use small "chicken head" knobs with this ( well they are Amp sims ) and this probably reduced
the circuits down by one, ie: if I had used smaller knobs, I could have fitted perhaps three more on the front
panel = one more circuit .
The LED is on when power is connected, original orange bulb removed as this was for a much larger supply
voltage, I didn't use a  power switch, though I could wire the
input jack to do this "as normal" or there's room on the back for a switch.
Each circuit has a small DPDT switch for on/off which are all wired "in series" from input to output.
My painting skills are "poo" so I'll just use nice "Blue Dymo" labelling for the controls.

All that's left to do is cut the longer pot shafts down, fit the knobs and label.

Great fun, a bit "fiddly" and I would have liked a "virgin wire up" to get things neater ..... next time :D

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

StephenGiles

Looks very good Marty, including the cup of a well known beverage!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

jimbob

"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Pushtone

Super nice work there racking up PCBs.
Looks tricky to drill fer sure.

but with all that room and no built in PSU?
Maybe next time.

I assume this would go in your studio rack for recording?

It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Torchy

mojotron

This is a good idea - I like the accessibility you have for modding - that's pretty cool.

I have about 10 1U computer chassis that I was going to chop up - this gives me a really good idea thanks  :icon_biggrin:

MartyMart

Thanks chaps :D
It's almost there, I know ... I bottled out of installing power supply, but the 9v connection is fine .
I will fit an on/off switch though, if I had 3dpdt small switches, then I would have an LED for every
effect.
It's all working and sounding fantastic :D

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

Torchy

Marty - why not use dpdt's and some Millenium boards for the LEDs ?

Pushtone

Quote from: MartyMart on August 04, 2006, 06:11:02 AM
snip...

When I do this again, I'll decide on the circuits and probably build them on one "large" piece of vero,
Marty.

Care to mention what circuits would be in your v2.0?

thanks
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

MartyMart

Quote from: Torchy on August 04, 2006, 04:37:26 PM
Marty - why not use dpdt's and some Millenium boards for the LEDs ?

Great idea :D
Quote from: Pushtone on August 05, 2006, 12:23:48 AM

Care to mention what circuits would be in your v2.0?

thanks

For V2.0 - Classic 30 sim/Dr Boogey/Citrus Graphic/Modified Cauldron of Gain/switchable Fender/Marshall cab sim
For V3.0 ( bass version ) Supro Thunderbolt '66/Bassman '59/Flipster/bass voiced cab sim

MM