News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

4558=4559

Started by QSQCaito, August 05, 2006, 05:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QSQCaito

Hi guys. Yesterday i went to look for an order, while i was taking a look to it, in my list the seller wrote beside where i asked for the 4558, he wrote "4558cont" and gave me a 4559. I know it's also a dual op-amp, but do you know any difference in sound/performance?

Also i asked for 1N914and he put beside that"=1N4148" are they the same, similar?

Thanks a lot from advanced.

Bye bye

DAC
D.A.C

petemoore

The 4559 is supposedly a bit higher gain, they probably sounded about the same, or +/-  'here or 'there, depending on peripherals to the OA.
  Use whatya got, 'socket and discern' ...or not...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

QSQCaito

Thanks a lot pete. One more question to add, what's the diff between TL072 and RC4558/9?

Any clue about the diodes?

Thanks a lot lot!!

bye bye

DAC
D.A.C

calpolyengineer

Those diodes are very similar and in most cases completely interchangeable.

-Joe

QSQCaito

Thanks a lot guys, you're faster everyday :P

Bonus question: do you know the differences in sound between 4558/9 and TL072??

thanks a lot

Bye bye
D.A.C

analogmike

TL072 is much higher specs: will be clearer, sharper sounds, more hifi in most circuits. Less noise too I think.

1N4148 is almost always a little better than 1N914 which are really wimpy in any power applications (for clipping you won't hurt a 1N914)
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

QSQCaito

Thanks a lot guys, i think this post is done, time record:P

Bye bye

DAC
D.A.C

Peter Snowberg

The 1N914 and 1N4148 both signal diodes but one is rated for twice the current of the other. I think 50mA & 100mA? For 99.99% of stompbox uses they will work exactly the same. For any power applications, use a 1N4001 instead.

The TL072 uses JFET input transistors for super high impedance. That's the main difference. Download the datasheets of each to your computer to have them near by. :)

The RC4558 is a general purpose opamp, while the RC4559 is a high performance amp. The 4559 is specified to have a noise level four times lower than the 4558.

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl072.pdf
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/rc4558.pdf
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/rc4559.pdf
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

jota

I am confused, because the noise is in different units:
4558: 8 nV/√Hz Typ at 1 kHz
4559: 2 μV/Hz Max (20 Hz to 20 kHz)

PRR

> I am confused, because the noise is in different units:

20Hz to 20KHz is a 19,980Hz bandwidth.

Square-root of 19,980 is 141.3.

141.3 times 8 nV/√Hz is 1,130nV or 1.1uV.

On paper, the '8 appears to be slightly lower hiss.

BUT in real life you must also compute input current hiss against source impedance. The '8 does not specify input hiss current, but the '9 has significantly lower input bias current which may be a clue.

If you are truly hurting for hiss, there are other choices.
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: PRR on February 14, 2019, 05:50:11 PM
> I am confused, because the noise is in different units:

20Hz to 20KHz is a 19,980Hz bandwidth.

Square-root of 19,980 is 141.3.

141.3 times 8 nV/√Hz is 1,130nV or 1.1uV.

On paper, the '8 appears to be slightly lower hiss.

Given the likelihood of "specsmanship", the statement of " 8 nV/√Hz Typ at 1 kHz" might mean *exactly* that, that the nice low noise figure is achieved at 1KHz, and elsewhere it's worse. I'm imagining a sort of U-shaped graph with the low point around 1KHz. To be fair, since that's roughly where human hearing is most sensitive, that's a pretty good way to distribute the noise. The whole story might be somewhat more nuanced, however....

T.

Rob Strand

I think the main problem here is comparing typical and max figures.

The Fairchild datasheets are more consistent:

RC4558  10nV/rtHz  (graphs => typical)

RC4559  1.4uV rms *typ.* over 20Hz to 20kHz
              which equates to 9.9nV/rtHz
             The Fairchild data is 5uV rms *max*.

The TI data is,

RC4558 is 8nV/rtHz typ.

RC4559 data is also 1.4uV rms typ, but only 2uV rms *max*.

So there is a small in disagreement between the RC4558 typ values and a large difference in the RC4559 max values.  (The Fairchild data appears to be at 50ohm source and the TI at 1k ohm, which would help Fairchild if anything.   I didn't labour over looking any fine print here.)
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

StephenGiles

I think the main problem here is that folks forget that at 9v it really makes no difference at all which opamps are used, especially in a band situation. However, in the quiet of your bedroom where you might be trying to impress your girlfriend, who knows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

aron

Every little bit counts though. My memory sounds better to me for sure.