Question for fuzzy sound from diode clipping

Started by Harry, August 06, 2006, 07:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

I was thinking of just taking a booster circuit and adding clipping diodes to make a simple fuzz box. I'm looking for a true fuzz sound, not like an overdrive or distortion device. My question is where should the clipping section be? Before or after the gain stage? How should I position the diode(s)? What type of diode(s) should I use? Should I really be clipping with transistor stages or can I get away with this idea?

-Thanks

oldrocker

On the Jorden Bosstone Build Report thread it looks something like what you're getting at here.  I just built and boxed it today and it reminded me of your question.

burnt fingers

Have a look at Jack Ormons Muffer http://www.muzique.com/schem/projects.htm

It's exactly what you are talking about and it sounds pretty good.

I have a simple perf layout for it too  http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Burnt-Fingers-stuff/Muffer_perf

This was one of my first builds. 

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

Harry

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of buying a bunch of different diodes (silicon, germanium, leds, etc) and lay them out different ways and just try the guess and check method.

WGTP

I think the Muffer has them in the the feedback loop that might require some mods to the booster.

I would add some diodes to ground at the output.  GE's typically sound most fuzzy to me, but do experiment.  :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Harry

Quote from: WGTP on August 07, 2006, 06:07:43 PM
I would add some diodes to ground at the output.  GE's typically sound most fuzzy to me, but do experiment.  :icon_cool:
Thanks, I was thinking about about putting the diodes at the output. I was thinking leds and silicon would be fuzzier, so thanks for that advice I'll definately try germanium.

Transmogrifox

germanium will be more fuzzy just because they clip at a lower threshold.  It should come off nice and fuzzy as long as your booster has a flat frequency reponse.  Seems like the low frequencies getting in tends to fuzz things up nicely.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

WGTP

Yes, the LED's may not distort much depending on how much output your booster is producing, but that can be good or bad depending on how much compression/sustain/dynamics you want.  Be sure to mix the different diodes up for different sounds.  Also, migh try varying the input cap to adjust the bass content.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Yun

Try this:

-Build an LPB-2, put the booster circuit in series with a Bazz-Fuss

-Put diode clipping circuits at the very end (before the volume control) of each circuit. 

I built one like that ^  .  It sounds really groovy, whole lots of sustain and a smokey/synth like texture fuzz-tone.  It turned out pretty decent, if i do say so myself, man....
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"