Question for the professionals...

Started by SolderBoy, August 08, 2006, 08:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toney

Quote from: Paul Marossy on August 11, 2006, 12:04:28 AM

I remember reading about one guy who thought it was great that those amps go up to 12 instead of 10 like other amps. My first thought was "So? Big deal. I could build an amp that went up to 20. Would that make my amp better?" You could make it 100. It's all how you want to divide up the 270 deg. of pot rotation.

Wow...even all these years after Spinal Tap...wow.

You know it's in Doubly, don't you?

grapefruit

I've often seen linear pots used for volume controls in PA mixer amps. I think usually the reason for this is that they use the same pots for volume and tone controls, so they only have to stock and fit one part. It's about econimics. In some cases I think it's likely that the designer just  doesn't know any better.

Stew

Paul Marossy

QuoteI've often seen linear pots used for volume controls in PA mixer amps. I think usually the reason for this is that they use the same pots for volume and tone controls, so they only have to stock and fit one part.

While that may make sense from the viewpoint of keeping manufacturing costs down, it doesn't work that well with the human ear, which works in a logarithmic manner...  :icon_wink: