RG's Spyder Clean, Isolated Power Supply

Started by zpyder, August 08, 2006, 08:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cockaroacha

I did the same Spyder PS with the Weber tranny, works great.

As to the high current 9VAC winding on the Weber, it's also a good addition for things like starved plate tube preamps if you're into that sort of thing. If you decide to use it as 9VAC, terminate it in a different power connector type and use a custom made cable. Use a different color cable jacket and label the heck out of it. Less chance of plugging the wrong box into the wrong power jack.

If you really know what you're doing you could probably also take two of the 11VAC windings and chain them together into a single 22VAC, rectify/filter/regulate down to 18VDC for things like the PT80. I'd get a few other opinions on that before trying it though.

Gilles C

Chaining two 11V ac winding to make a 18V dc is a very good idea. It could even be made into a 22V center transformer. Thanks for mentioning it.

Let's see. It would still leave 7 x 11V ac windings available. No problem. I need a minimum of 5.

About the power connectors, I want to use the same Molex connectors as used for the PC power supplies, and use different pins for the 9V ac power.

Gilles C

Just to give an update on what I decided would be best for me for a spyder supply based on the Weber XFMR.

The XFMR has five 11vac windings + one 9vac winding on one side, and three more 11vac winding on the other side with the 110vac input.

So I'll use the first 5 windings for 5 separates 9V regulated outputs.

2 of the other windings will be used to make a 18 V regulated output, and the one left will be another 9V regulated output. But these last 2 outputs will be daisy chained when needed. But the first 5 outputs will not be daisy chained. I will keep them for critical effects.

So I am preparing a set of 5 electrictly separated regulator circuits on one stripboard. It should be a good start.

Gilles

Chuck

Gilles,
I just received two of the Weber transformers.

Care to share your circuit board layout?????

Thanks
Chuck

Gilles C

No problem. As long as you don't mind a different kind of layout...

http://www.gtechblues.com/My_Layouts/Layout1.pdf

I don't have a complete project file, but this should get you started.

Btw, I used a round type of bridge because they are cheaper than the 4 pins in-line types. But they fit well on stripboards.

For the capacitors values, I suppose you already know what to use.

I also suggest that you wire 4 regulator circuits on each stripboard instead of 5 as I did. 2 stripboards with 4 reg circuits each would be better.

I think I also made the board a bit bigger than in the layout to have more space for the screws.

Gilles

Gilles C

Just to complete the info, here is a pic of the box with a cleaner wiring, but still waiting for the jacks and the second regulator board.

That's in case you're looking for ideas to box it.

Gilles

Chuck

Thanks Gilles,

You added a third cap.  C2 in the first bank.  I'm curious why you had to do that and what the value is?

I have limied space, so I was going to build an aluminum frame type mount.  I'll post it when its been cut.

Chuck

Gilles C

It is just a 0.1uF I used as suggested in the 7809 specs to make sure there is no noise on the 9V supply.

Like in schematic for example

http://www.eidusa.com/Electronics_Kits_9_Voltage_Reg.htm

You can get away without it, but it's so small that you could add it somewhere I'm sure. I prefer to use it 'just in case..."

Gilles

Chuck

zpyder

Just wondering if everyone is still satisfied with their Weber XFormer based Spyders...
I'm looking once again at my power supply situation.  I'm getting some horrible hums that are driving me BATTY while trying to record

cheers,
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

Gilles C

The only time I had hum with the spyder is when I forgot to connect the metal box of the effect to ground. I was using isolated jacks too. So it was humming real bad when I was touching the box.

Connecting the box to the circuit board ground fixed it.

Gilles

nzCdog

Hey Gilles, just wanted to thank you for your strip layout and pictures... sooo helpful!  :)
I'm about to start my Spyder with the weber tranny, how did you go with the 18V o/p?
nzCdog

majornoob

Just got the Weber transformer in the mail. I know how important it is to wiring this correctly so thought I'd ask before doing it wrong.
How do you wire all those brown wires? Is it just the first two, next two, and so on? I feel like this is a dumb question but I want to be sure.
Thanks