I wonder why there isnt a Flying Pan FP-777 layout around here yet

Started by jimbob, August 11, 2006, 01:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

Any reason why this older effect (Flying Pan FP-777) doesnt have a layout for the DIY'r yet? Or is there? Is sounds interesting.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Roberto

FP777 sounds good, I like it very much, but is not as amazing as some people thinks. I wanted to do a clone some time ago (I even bought an original FP777) but I didn't have time for this project. Maybe I could help if somebody is interested in cloning this pedal.
[

jimbob

"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Mark Hammer

The Flying Pan is indeed a cool pedal, however...the panning is very disruptive and not the sort of thing you can leave on for long.

You probably could fit it into a 1590BB easily, though the switch remains probably the biggest challenge in the layout.

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Dan N

Didn't Mike Both make a layout, let people see it, get pissed about it being abused in some way, stop letting people see it.

Or I could be imagining that. I never saw it.

Fret Wire

Quote from: Dan N on August 11, 2006, 03:10:14 PM
Didn't Mike Both make a layout, let people see it, get pissed about it being abused in some way, stop letting people see it.
Or I could be imagining that. I never saw it.
Mike originally asked for some volunteers to help build and verify the layout and schematic. I was one, and he sent his schematic and layout packet to us volunteers. I remember helping Mike to resize the pcb layout, but I had a lot going on at the time and couldn't devote much work to it at that time. With a little tweeking the layout works.

Then, If I remember right, one of the volunteers may have passed it along to someone else who either posted it or tried to use the packet for their own gain. I don't believe they had the chops to get it running though. One of the volunteers is still a regular poster here, and honored (as I did) Mike's request not to share with anyone it until Mike released it. It was a simple promise that we kept, except for apparently one person. If I remember correctly, that's what happened.

That's a promise I still keep, and I didn't name the other member who has it so no one will bother him with emails.

I agree with Marks assesment, the Pan's sum is greater than it's parts. The phasing section isn't all that great. The pedal sounds awesome with a stereo amp set-up, with one amp, it gets old quick.

I haven't heard from Mike in awhile, I hope all is well with his health and life. I miss his posts, Mike is a knowledgeable, helpful, funny, stand up kind of guy.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Unbeliever

Quote from: nelson on August 11, 2006, 12:21:56 PM
unbeliever?

:icon_razz:

;)

All history aside (and it's history that has been resolved or deal with before, so no problems from my point of view :) ), obviously I have a layout that works - but it has been significantly tweaked since some people (Rick L) in particular helped me get it work (and maybe some others, my memory is pretty bad so apologies if I've neglected to give someone credit). So, currently the only layout I have is:
a) double-sided
b) in use in my production clone
and hence I can't see the point in releasing it (a), and don't really want to (b). Also, it's in Protel format and I doubt many people could make use of it directly .. and to be honest, I don't have time to deal with *any* queries regarding getting it up and working, sorry. Oh, yeah, and the rotary switching is incorporated direct to the PCB, which might be a hassle for some ... and you need to get the right FETs too ... oh yeah *and* I had to tweak the LFO section to work with the LDRs I used. Maybe now people see why there's not a layout for this thing ;) .... yes, the phaser is a little lame but combined with the panning section it's psychadelic heaven.

Really, people would be way better off working on their own two-channel trem + phaser. It's this combination that provides the magic, not really the 'actual' bits of the FP itself.