Experimenting with Fetzer Valve

Started by percyhornickel, June 11, 2023, 08:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

percyhornickel

I´ve been experimenting with the R.O.G. Fetzer Valve with some K68A Jfets (VP: -0.93V / IDSS: 5.83 mA). I tried the drain bias 4.5V and 6V (fetzer cal) with a good response but biasing the drain at 2.5V (my case) I´ve got an amazing crancked tube sound (I´m using a 22u cap with the source resistence).

Trying to have a gain control I took de Deep Blue Delay input and output buffers (taking out the PT2399 stage) and put the fetzer stage to mix it with the dry signal, I put all this in a spice simulation and it seems to work.

According the Boy in Well PDF info (DIYGUITARPEDALS) the mix would be ratio 1.1:1 in favor of the wet signal.

I was thing to put a tone control like (faux ocho does) before the mix pot but this would just affect the wet signal guess, I really don´t want to change the output buffer so maybe I could put it after.

Could somebody help with this idea?, this mod fetzer valve really sounds great (I like it more than my DIY TS!!!)

Thank you

Percy

P.H.

antonis

I'm not sure that I can get your issue but I presume you realize that you mix two signals 180o out of phase.. :icon_wink:

P.S.
R13/R14 values should (and had to) be much lower..
(with the addition of high value bias resistors, of course..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

Does the great cranked tone have more to do with the driving by the input opamp than the response of the Fetzer?   A good way to play with these is to cascade a few, and THEN mess around - I think you'll really enjoy doing that :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Steben

I presume you did not want the use of a gentle input stage anyway?  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

percyhornickel

Quote from: antonis on June 11, 2023, 12:18:12 PM
I'm not sure that I can get your issue but I presume you realize that you mix two signals 180o out of phase.. :icon_wink:

P.S.
R13/R14 values should (and had to) be much lower..
(with the addition of high value bias resistors, of course..)

Antonis you are right the jfet change the phase at the output so maybe taking the fetzer input before the first buffer could work, I am trying to make it work and playing with the gain, HPF and LPF...    ...lot of work with spice, maybe later I´ll be putting all in the breadboard or testing.

GibsomGM..  ..yes I could try to play some jfets in cascade..       
P.H.

GibsonGM

I do like the idea of hitting the stage with the opamp, and the idea of mixing the clipped signal in, too :) 

If you add another FET gain stage, that will solve your inversion issue, of course.   

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

Quote from: percyhornickel on June 11, 2023, 10:18:21 PM
Antonis you are right the jfet change the phase at the output so maybe taking the fetzer input before the first buffer could work,

Work for exactly what purpose..?? :icon_wink:
(meaning, in such a case, you'll have nothing to mix..)

Could you plz post a brute (just building blocks "boxes") diagram..??

P.S.
It should better for C6 to be placed right after U1 output (before R2/R4/R10 branch)..
(U2 DC gain R9/R2 should be negligible..)
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

percyhornickel

I`m just trying to have an alternanive kind of "gain control" over this config of the fetzer valve (Vd=2.5V), The second buffer I thought it could change the mixed phase since both (input buffer and the jfet) change the original signal...        ...as I said, I`m not an electronic expert (petroleum engineer) with some circuits over my shoulders already (TS, Rat, Pulsar, Delays, Big Muff, Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, Chorus, compressors, env filters, etc etc...)

Percy

P.H.

antonis

Much better now.. :icon_wink:
(at least, from mixing signals phase point of view..)