[TS-808] Building Project

Started by DVB_master, August 19, 2006, 05:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DVB_master

Hello, I open this topic to inform you about my project and when needed to ask you for some support. :icon_redface:
I am starting to build the PCB layout of the ts808, so here's my first questions:
Is a good idea to mount resitors vertically, because I don't have enough space inside a 125B enclosure?
Another question: I have heard that some people say that metal film resistors are less noisy. ??? Do carbon film resistors really increase noise in some way?

Maybe I can post some photos and 125B drilling templates... And if I can arrive to the end some mp3s :icon_rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone for support! 8)

d95err

Quote from: DVB_master on August 19, 2006, 05:43:19 PM
Hello, I open this topic to inform you about my project and when needed to ask you for some support. :icon_redface:
I am starting to build the PCB layout of the ts808, so here's my first questions:
Is a good idea to mount resitors vertically, because I don't have enough space inside a 125B enclosure?
Another question: I have heard that some people say that metal film resistors are less noisy. ??? Do carbon film resistors really increase noise in some way?

Maybe I can post some photos and 125B drilling templates... And if I can arrive to the end some mp3s :icon_rolleyes:

Normally you should try to have your components laying down. At least it looks better. Should be a bit more mechanically stable, but on the other hand there were a lot of standing resistors in the last BOSS stompbox I looked into, and those are supposed to be built like tanks...

All resistors introduce noice (well, I suppose all components do). Metal film resistors are less noisy. I don't know the theory well enough to explain why, but if you search the forum there are plenty of discussions and explanations about it. The most important place to use metal film resistors would be around the input section of the circuit, since any noice induced there will be amplified the most (in a distortion box or booster).

Please post photos, layouts, templates and mp3's! We're looking forward to it!

Good luck!

Seljer

theres plenty of space inside there, espescially if you're building it on a PCB (maybe not with perdboard though, unless you're pretty proficient with it)

the 2 upside down 125B type boxes are both Tubescreamers made of the pcb layout from Tonepad:

(being able to mount the pots directly on the board makings things a lot easier :) , those layouts on there are awesome)

and mounting resistor vertically in't always space saving, as mounting them the regular way means you can run traces under them

as for carbon vs metal resistors
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/carbon_comp/carboncomp.htm
metal films have got less noise, and better tolerance and...well practically everything better

DVB_master

Hi Seljer, do you also buy at banzai shop right??? :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: I see their plastic bag near the red knife :icon_mrgreen:

g.e.o

hi DVB master. as Seljer already said i too think that the tonepad's layout is the best u can use without having any kind of troubles. i my self have made a ts-808 from tonepads layout and to me its perfect. actually the best of the distortions i made till now. i also know that indeed metal film caps are less noisy but still u will get a bit of a noise coz after all its an overdrive pedal. what u can do is to place a cap when its finished on legs 1 and 3 of the volume pot. it will affect the tone a bit but still it will take away lots of the noise. the bigger value u'll use the less noise u'll get but at the same time the less original tone. so just compromise with it and find the best ballance between noise and tone.

hope i helped.  take care.

George

dano12

What's in the pi box?

Quote from: Seljer on August 19, 2006, 06:03:08 PM
theres plenty of space inside there, espescially if you're building it on a PCB (maybe not with perdboard though, unless you're pretty proficient with it)

the 2 upside down 125B type boxes are both Tubescreamers made of the pcb layout from Tonepad:

(being able to mount the pots directly on the board makings things a lot easier :) , those layouts on there are awesome)

and mounting resistor vertically in't always space saving, as mounting them the regular way means you can run traces under them

as for carbon vs metal resistors
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/carbon_comp/carboncomp.htm
metal films have got less noise, and better tolerance and...well practically everything better

Seljer

Quote from: dano12 on August 19, 2006, 09:41:49 PM
What's in the pi box?
thats what will become the future encolsure for my Big Muff....Pi (the circuit on the bottom left), as soon as I get a linear pot for the tone control

and I'll actually glue down the paper and clear coat it

DVB_master

Hi here's a first pcb layout. It's experimental ;D It contains many errors, i'll check them!

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

There's nothing experimental about that layout. That IS the TONEPAD layout, thousands built.

I don't appreciate having my work being plagiarized.
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

DVB_master

Yes, man I am really sorry  :'(, I have used your layout and have only adapted measures to my components! I have started from the schematic and then I have seen your component layout, that seems to be the best, to place the main components.
But in my PCB there are some errors note the diodes: they are mounted backwards, because I have done some errors in the schematic, that I am going to fix.
Really sorry for misunderstanding but I have absolutely no intention to publish your work under my name. I just want to show others the progresses of a newbie (me) in building a FX pedal. Really sorry for what has happened I can add your name if you want, but I think that everyone that has built a TS  can recognize that the layout I have posted is very very similar to yours .

Sorry again and I hope there will be an happy end.

DVB_master

Please, moderator, DELETE the image of the PCB layout posted! I can't edit this topic.
Thanks and apologise!

Anyway some MY templates of 125B are coming... ;)

DVB_master

Hi! The shop where I've bought the parts has told me that 0,6W metal film resistors have the same size of 1/4 watt carbon film ones.
Is it normal?
If yes can I use 0,6 watt metal film instead of 0,25 watt carbon film resistors?
Thanks  :icon_mrgreen:

DVB_master

Here's some pictures of drilled 125B before painting.
Consider that this is my first DIY Stompbox! ::)

Comments....

bancika

yeah, 0.6W metal film are the same size and 1/4w metal film and 1/4 w carbon
you could use any of them, but metal film are said to be better. I use them all the time.
Btw, box looks great
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

RaceDriver205

QuoteThere's nothing experimental about that layout. That IS the TONEPAD layout, thousands built.

I don't appreciate having my work being plagiarized
FP don't take no flack! ;D
Oh, and tonepad is awesome.

QuoteIf yes can I use 0,6 watt metal film instead of 0,25 watt carbon film resistors?
Both work the same, so use which ever is cheaper. Hope your stompbox works out well!
Got beaten to it by bancika!

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

:)

Yeah, use whatever resistor size that fits.
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

DVB_master

...and here's after painting... ;D

I have left those circles around the pots drill so that potentiometers shield is connected to the aluminium box directly. Is it unuseful? ???

bancika

I use something sharp to scratch around holes to make contact. It's enough to leave on the back of enclosure than front. Hope you have knobs large enough to cover them :)
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

DVB_master

DVB_master

Here's other pics (I had a trouble with that green paint)

In a few days I think I'll post some mp3s ::)