New Zvex Distortion

Started by WGTP, August 21, 2006, 05:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

Quote from: zachary vex on August 24, 2006, 03:52:14 AM
Quote from: phaeton on August 23, 2006, 08:34:03 PM
Didja ever consider that maybe the rubber band impacting the her eye caused swelling and fluid deprivation in her frontal lobe, and in turn set off a minsiculely slow but steady chain reaction that would one day turn her into a fat, smelly lush?   :o

maybe i liked her mom.  her mom was the sexiest woman on our block.  8^)
Wait a sec.  I 've seen that music video.  Fountains of Wayne, right?  Cheri's mom has got it goin' on.
Quote from: Cliff Schecht on August 24, 2006, 03:55:13 AM
Funny, today my dad gave me a Parker Big Red from the 20's that he used in college. I guess some sort of tradition is getting started here.
Either the same, or previous year, I was sitting in class absent-mindedly gnawing on the end of a plastic ink cartridge of my own fountain pen.  It popped open in my mouth, and though I was waving my arm for teacher to see, she pretended not to notice.  When she finally responded and asked "What is it?", I opened my mouth and stuck out my tongue.  I was summarily dispatched to the washroom, where I spent the next 20 minutes tasting the delights of grade school washroom soap from the dispenser.  It smells better than it tastes, kids.  Take my word.  I had "some essplaining to do" when I got home.

I dunno.   Maybe they shouldn't let you take your Parker on an airplane for good reason.  Ink is more dangerous than you'd think. :icon_lol:

phaeton

I guess if we're talking about ruining girls dresses and lives in gradeschool......

I hated school circa 2nd grade or so.  Absolutely hated it.  I think we've discussed the reasons before.  Anyways...  So semi-frequently I'd get up in the morning and do the "mom, can I stay home, I don't feel well" thing.  So she'd plop a thermometer into my mouth and walk away for a few minutes (maybe to go wake up my sister).  As soon as she was gone I'd pull the thermometer out and either hold it over the wood stove or flip on the toaster and hold it down inside the 'one slice' slot, and stick it back into my mouth when I heard her coming (got burnt a few times, mind you).

Well, there were plenty of mornings where I was apparently running a fever of about 178F.  Enough so that one time I really was sick, I got the 'boy who cried wolf' story and was packed off to school.  And so that was the day that I huffed Wheat Chex all over the back of Cynthia Pinkerton.  Did quite a job, too- got it in her pretty blonde hair, all over her dress, even some onto the books in front of her.

She was cute too, but maybe this has something to do with why I never got any Cynthia Luvvins.
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

WGTP

OK back to business.  Z any pre/post EQ emphasis/de-emphasis comments you'd like to share with us???    :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Doug_H

Quote from: WGTP on August 24, 2006, 11:01:47 AM
OK back to business.  Z any pre/post EQ emphasis/de-emphasis comments you'd like to share with us???    :icon_cool:

Come on man... With all the pedal designs, "amp pedals", history and etc in this place for the last 6 yrs you can't find any ideas for EQ'ing in a MOSFET pedal here or in the archives?? :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Back to the vomit stories:

When I was in 1st grade I upchucked a bowl of Cap'n Crunch all over the hallway while we were waiting for school to start. No girls or other students/teachers in my path but wow, what an impressive puddle I made!

Mark Hammer

Did anybody remark "My, that's shrill!" ? :icon_wink:

WGTP

OK, when I was in the 4th grade, I let it go in the hallway at school, but only hit a kid with a flat top on his white sweatshirt, nothing too spectacular.   :icon_rolleyes:

Sure all kinds of EQ stuff, but I wanted to see what Z had to say about it.   :icon_cool:

newbie builder

When I was in 6th they were taking the class up to the snow on little windy roads......lets just say it didn't end well for the kid and his ski boots sitting next to me.
//

MartyMart

I was at a party ( school disco ! ) when I was about 14 and had managed to "pull" the
"school blonde" ( well she was obviously drunk ) who was very attractive, in a "Swedish"
sort of way .......

During a "snogging session" ( french kisses ) outside , she pulled to one side and almost "threw up" on me !!

NICE  :icon_eek:

..... that was the end of that little petting session :D  :icon_rolleyes:

I could never quite look at her the same way after that ......
MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Mark Hammer

Buddy of mine had saved his shekels to take a young woman out to a fancy place in town for a holiday-time dinner aimed squarely as pre-snogging foreplay.

He attended the Xmas party in the university library where he was working part-time and had a little too much of the "budget" wine.  He then went to meet the young lass at the fancy restaurant, and promptly showed her all the wine he had drunk and hors d'oeuvres he had eaten by laying them all out, liquid style, on the restaurant table.  Apparently she declined to respond to his phone calls after that.

My goodness this is turning into a pathetic little thread, ain't it.  Zack is standing to one side sratching his head muttering "Hey, how did *I* get dragged into all of this?  How'd we go from 'Box of Rock' to 'Bag of Barf'? " :icon_lol:

phaeton

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 24, 2006, 12:26:46 PM
My goodness this is turning into a pathetic little thread, ain't it.  Zack is standing to one side sratching his head muttering "Hey, how did *I* get dragged into all of this?  How'd we go from 'Box of Rock' to 'Bag of Barf'? " :icon_lol:

I was wondering about that too....  Zach saying "uhh... I think I need to take a break from that place for awhile"...

Thenagain, perhaps we'll inspire a "Zvex Puke-o-tron", or come up with some ideas for the September FX-X...  :o

AL

QuoteWait a sec.  I 've seen that music video.  Fountains of Wayne, right?  Cheri's mom has got it goin' on.

Uhhh, Mark I think you've been hangin' out at the wrong house. Stacy's Mom has got it goin' on. Don't know about Cheri's mom but Cheri (and her comic book) was a little cutie so I would imagine her mom has got it goin' on too.

Now get back to work or I'll bring out.... the comfy chair !!!   :icon_eek:

AL

Doug_H

Quote from: AL on August 24, 2006, 01:27:20 PM
QuoteWait a sec.  I 've seen that music video.  Fountains of Wayne, right?  Cheri's mom has got it goin' on.

Uhhh, Mark I think you've been hangin' out at the wrong house. Stacy's Mom has got it goin' on.

Hey "Welcome, Interstate Managers" is really a good album! My daughter burned a copy of it for my wife and I listen to it whenever I drive her car. Those guys are/were one of the most inventive and fun pop/rock bands to come out in a long time. 8)

zachary vex

Cheri's mom really did have it goin' on.  and what's with all the puke stories?  i have a rubber band wallet to this day.  perhaps i'm still seeking closure.  8^)

Erik will be here in 19 minutes to continue work on the video.  8^D

Mark Hammer

I assume you've seen the GP review of BOR?

zachary vex

heard about it.  any good?

phaeton

Quote from: zachary vex on August 24, 2006, 04:42:15 PM

Erik will be here in 19 minutes to continue work on the puke documentary video.  8^D

fix't

;D

WGTP

http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=6&storycode=15504

Good article, nice comments about BOR and also the FullDrive.   :icon_cool:

The first honest-to-God distortion box to spring from the bench of effects maker Zachary Vex, the Box of Rock ($299 retail/$199 street) melds elements of the Super Hard On overdriver with a new grind circuit to deliver kick-ass distortion tones that are squarely in the old Marshall camp. In fact, this pedal sounded particularly dynamite though a mid-'70s Marshall 50-watt, where it showcased complex grind and excellent dynamic response and touch sensitivity. Activating the Boost footswitch lets you increase the output dramatically, and this function (which includes a Boost control) can also be used independently of the distortion channel for delivering maximum clean output. Needless to say, used in tandem with a high setting on the distortion channel, the output is almost scary. The B of R's only quirks were scratchy sounding Boost and Drive pots (note the "Crackle Okay" labels on these controls), but in all other regards, this long-awaited Vex pedal offers everything needed to handle a wide range of distortion and overdrive applications.Z. Vex Effects, (952) 285-9545; zvexeffects.com

cakeworks

About 10 years ago, I was at daycare (yes I am well and truly still a kid). Some girl was convinced we were gonna get married one day (and hey, I wasn't gonna complain, I was the skinny short red-head kid with just-too-many freckles). I was on the upper level of some play equiptment and she was climbing up the ladder to get up there too (she didnt know I was up there) and I hid behind a panel in the railing. As she reached the top but was still on the ladder, I jumped out and went 'Raah!' in some attempt to scare her...

Well she fell 2.5 metres and broke her collar bone... well needless to say, I havnt spoken to here in about ... 10 years hehe

why does all the bad stuff happen to girls
-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

markm

Interesting thread......
Dr. Phil will probably show up here any minute now  :icon_biggrin:

Dave_B

Quote from: WGTP on August 24, 2006, 05:40:15 PMThe B of R's only quirks were scratchy sounding Boost and Drive pots (note the "Crackle Okay" labels on these controls),
Don't reviewers normally contact a pedal maker for explanations on things like this?  I can see a person mistaking the crackling for an issue if it's not explained. 
Help build our Wiki!