Bass Booster Build, and mod question

Started by jmusser, August 22, 2006, 06:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmusser

I finally got around to building Sean MacLennan's Bass Booster last night.  http://seanm.ca/stomp/bassbooster.html  I bought an Epiphone Galaxie 10 awhile back, and the only real problem I had with it, was being way too bright. It made it work pretty well for British Invasion stuff, but not much else. It's not much of a build, but I just wanted to let everyone know that it worked OK. It darkened my amp quite a bit. The only change I made, was a suggestion someone made when I first asked about a bass booster, and that was to replace the 50K pot with a 100K pot, and delete the 47K beside it, so I had more adjustment. it would be nice to be able to make it darker still, but I don't know if this is just a matter of using a rotary switch for different output caps, or if the 47n cap would also have to be changed? I like the way it sounds now, totally maxed on bass, but, I'd like to be able to go lower too, as long as it didn't get muddy in the process. Right now, there is no coloring of the amps tone, just a nice improvement in it's tone. Basically, the way it is now, you're going from original tone, to noticably darker tone, from one end of the pot to the other, but, I would like the full dark tone I'm getting now, to be more at the middle of the pot, and go darker still if I desire with a full turn. The 1/2 Vcc source is not shown on the drawing, so I made a divider up, using two 10Ks, and a 47uf cap. The 3 are tied together, and at that point, the 4.5V is tapped off. One 10K and the 47uf cap go to ground, and the other 10K goes to the 9V source. It's not something I made up, but pulled off another drawing some place. Is this circuit basically a high pass filter, where you pass the high frequencies to ground? It's like remembering near siighted and far sighted, where I believe near sighted means you can only see near objects, but I can never remember. :icon_rolleyes:
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

MartyMart

Jeff, looks to me that the roll of is set between the 22k/pot and 47n
Perhaps just adjusting the 47n to 56n/68n or even 100n would provide the "darkness" you require.
I would socket this and see, it will probably be useful for my Valve Junior, though I've
"tinkered" with the tone some already !

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com