nasty, splatty, farty fuzz recommendation..

Started by burnt fingers, August 12, 2006, 12:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8mileshigh

Red House,

"I'd love build something that can get that "spirit in the sky" sound, even if it's a one-trick-pony.  I played that song at jams but without the splatty fuzz it sounds more like Ted Nugent at a Billy Graham revival".   

It was apparently a custom fuzz circuit built into either his amp or his guitar.  I find my Fuzzrite box does a good Spirit in The Sky for what it's worth.

Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

g3rmanium

Quote from: RedHouse on August 16, 2006, 09:07:58 AM
I'd love build something that can get that "spirit in the sky" sound, even if it's a one-trick-pony.

"Spirit in the sky" is a great sound indeed. I was looking at the waveforms once and it seemed to me as if there were two fuzz circuits going on. One for rather soft, one for nasty clipping.

Here's the waveform:

Call me Johann.

col

I would second the orange sunshine, I like that a lot.

I was testing out some circuits I'd built and never boxed up last night and came across a very trebly OTT fuzz which turned out to be the Mockman from runoffgroove.com. I built it with the red LEDs and this could be just what you're looking for. Very little bass end but loads of extreme fuzz/distortion with good sustain. You need one,

Col
Col

sovtek50

A fuzz that must not be forgotten is the Duo Distorter from Commonsound/4ms-pedals. Tones ranging from fat to sick, this is one of the most tweakable fuzzes I've ever met. It's actually two in one.
A circuit a day keeps the therapist away.

8mileshigh

Another example of great buzzy psychedelic fuzz is "Too Much To Dream Last Night" by the Electric Prunes.  Anybody know what Fuzz box is being used there ?

Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

burnt fingers

Damn guys, I just watched the Zvex demo for the wooly mammoth and thats the fuzz I'm looking for.  I guess I'll be forking over som cash to zvex instead of Rat Shack.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

Meanderthal

Electro harmonix axis/Guild foxey lady 2-knob. I built this and it nails that inna-gadda-da-vida thing! Truly primitive.
I am not responsible for your imagination.