Modifying/Re-Housing a Russian Big Muff

Started by jconway, August 30, 2006, 08:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jconway

How hard is it to modify and re-house a Russian Big Muff? I'd like to add the following to it:

- New Enclosure
- New LED
- True-Bypass
- New In/Out Jacks
- Adapter Jack
- New Knobs

Would this   be the right size case to re-house it? Has anyone tried this   true-bypass switch and does it do true-bypass well?

Thanks for your help!

Seljer

That'd be the right switch to do true byass with an indicator LED

Measure out the dimension of the old board too see if you can fit in there. (and kind of place things out iny our mind, the switches take up about 2cmx2cm, take in count space for a 9v battery and the jacks/pots too, though you can mount somethings over oneanother)

jconway

Will I need to know how to solder? What will I need to do to change the knobs, LED, and add an adapter jack?

Seljer

Yep, soldering will be a must for the true bypass bit. If you don't have a soldering iron get yourself one of those cheap $8 ones that you can find at Radioshack or other such places (about 30w, with fine tip), and some solder of course, and wire to hook everything up

one of the jacks has to be stereo (this is so it does that "off when input cable is unplugged" thing)

For the LED you'll also need a resistor to limit the current so it doesn't burn out (about 4.7kiloohms works if you get a bright LED)

and all that you're going to need something to drill the holes in the enclosure. A drill press of some sort is very handy, most people here reccomend a unibit for drilling holes of all sizes but if you've got a set of drillbits for metal they'll also work (you can use a file to enlarge things for some of the larger holes)

any

Here's an example of a rehoused russian big muff:

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album48

(This one also has a boost built in)
It's supposed to sound that way.

Meanderthal

Here ya go- this might help. A page all about rehousing russkie bigmuffs!

http://www.voxblues.com/guitar/muff/page1.html
I am not responsible for your imagination.