Tonepad layouts

Started by gmr1, October 19, 2004, 08:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmr1

Quick newbie question - On the tonepad layouts, when a wire going to a pot is grey, instead of red (see TS or MXR+ for example) does that mean no wire is attached to the pot in that position?

Also, are these pots wired with the bottom facing up in acordance to the layout pics? ie. left wire goes to the left lug on the pot. Seems when I built my first pedal I got it backwards, as the controls all work in the wrong direction... named it the "backwards boost"

Hope that makes sense... any help is greatly appriciated!

Greg.

markr04

Look where it (the odd colored wire) goes on the board. Most likely, with Tonepad layouts, its connecting back to the wiper (the middle lug). So, and this is just me maybe, I leave that wire out and connect the two at the pot instead - for less wiring to deal with.

Tip: think of the lugs as numbers, rather than left or right. With the pot facing you, and the lugs on bottom, they're 1,2,3 left-to-right. When I first started, I pictured it as a doorknob with the 'keyholes' just under it - that way I always remembered which way it goes to number them.

The extra wire (as long as it's just going back to the wiper), is not entirely necessary. It's supposed to cut down on noise, etc. though, so it's a good idea that you connect it to the lug either way. But it's easier to leave it off until you find the correct way to wire the pot and get your desired direction.
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

gmr1

Quote from: markr04Look where it (the odd colored wire) goes on the board. Most likely, with Tonepad layouts, its connecting back to the wiper (the middle lug). So, and this is just me maybe, I leave that wire out and connect the two at the pot instead - for less wiring to deal with.

That's exactly what it's doing. I should have picked that up! Thanks for your help!

Satch12879

Make sure you download the Tonepad offboard layout PDF...
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

markr04

I hope I write this in time to save you some trouble. I just finished the TS from Tonepad and have this to say about the pot wiring:

They're all 'backward', depending on how you look at it. Specifically, the order is 3,2,1.

note: when I refer to the 1,2,3rd wire, it's left to right on the board. Look at my first reply to know how to view the pot lug order correctly.

Drive: Skip the first wire if you want, and solder a cut resistor leg between lugs 2 & 3 on the pot. The second two wires go to lugs 1 & 2.

Tone & Level: just turn the pots where the shaft is away from you and lugs are on the bottom. Now solder in order from left to right. When you turn everything back around, you have soldered wires 1, 2, 3 to lugs 3, 2, 1.

Hope this helps!
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

kato

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the pots at Tonepad are drawn from the backside. Correct?

I'm building the DOD 250 overdrive.
http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=4

It's actually hard to tell because the schematic doesn't list 3,2,1 positions - and also this has a mixed rev pot / regular pot. If it's true that 2 and 3 should be connected (look at the layout above at Pot R7) they are connected on the board which would indicate that the pot is shown from the front. But that contradicts what markr04 says ("Specifically, the order is 3,2,1") <-- presumably from left to right, i.e. backside of pot view.

If anyone has experience with Tonepad layouts, I'd love to know if these are shown from the back or the front before I start soldering.

Thanks for any advice!  Kato (new here.)

EDIT:
Whoops, I'm a doofus.
I just realized the R7 I referred to above is a REVERSE pot which explains why the "2" and "3" are apparantly backwards. So that would lend support to the idea that the pots are in fact drawn backwards on Tonepad layouts. I'll proceed with the build and post if I discover otherwise.
If school won't teach you how to fight for what's needed
They're teaching you to go through life and get cheated.

Seljer

Yep, the pots are from the back. And the tonepad layouts are very well done, you can even mount the pots directly on there if you bend them a bit (less messy wiring) though its a bit harder to reaplce

kato

wow, seljer, that's brilliant. the messiest part of my projects is the 6 wires going to two pots.
I've built 2 tonepad projects so far. I'm going to try that on my next one. Thanks for the tip!
If school won't teach you how to fight for what's needed
They're teaching you to go through life and get cheated.