Author Topic: is something wrong?  (Read 4279 times)

nelson476

is something wrong?
« on: September 03, 2006, 06:47:33 PM »
I'm not sure if something is wrong with my circuit but I'm not very pleased with the whole thing. maybe i was just expecting to much out of it?  should there be more controll over the volume and gain?  i turn the gain nob and it goes a bit then all the sudden it kicks on and get loud and distorted. same with the volume. the volume has very little controll. is there something wrong or was i just expecting to much  from it?

thanks

_Nelson476_

aron

Re: is something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 11:38:05 PM »
Yes, there's something wrong. It should be a smooth transition. Did you do any substitutions on the parts? Did you put it together exactly as shown?

nelson476

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 12:10:40 AM »
well i actually pulled most of my parts off of and old boombox  :-\    hehe..   so there are one or two parts I'm not exactly sure if they are the right ones, such as the film cap. I'm not sure how to read the markings on the film caps so i looked at the pic of your film cap and saw a "104" on it so i just grabbed one with a 104 on it?  and i just pulled a transistor, not sure how to read them either, but it said that any small transistor would work? oh and i used a DPDT switch and replaced the 100k rest. with a 100k volume pot.

thanks

_Nelson476_

i could try and put some pics up if it would help?

nelson476

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 12:59:22 AM »

thats the transister i used (though you cant really see it  >:(  )   it reads "S9014 (then under that)  C 136"
ekk didnt focous..

here is the film cap i used, it reads  "2A104J."
hmm crapy camera

just a pic of the housing i made (im really not sure why my pots are soooo tall??  :icon_eek:

just another pic

and yet another...  :P

thanks again for all the help

_Nelson476_

GibsonGM

• more
  • Awesome!
  • Mike Parker (aka. Guitar Mike, Parks, etc)
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 08:30:56 AM »
Ideas:  too much gain (set too high or too high gain transistor)
           wrong pot taper
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...