Subtlesound Inductorless Wah!! ...What?

Started by MetalUpYerEye, October 16, 2006, 05:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puretube

4nkam

Anyone have clips of this wah? :) Would it be possible to get close to this tone: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ctTFHbiP7wY

mJ

mat

Hi Carsten,

I would like to have the vero layout if You dont mind. I did not find it on Your layout gallery folder.

Mat

Quote from: cab42 on October 17, 2006, 02:27:44 PM

CD did this schematic a while ago. I have made a vero layout, if someone should need one.  However I have never build it, so its not verified.

Schematic here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=25279.msg165637#msg165637

Regards

Carsten

John Lyons

I have a couple clips on my site: http://www.mrdwab.com/john/soundclipspage.html 
I like to replace the 33k with a 100k trimmer or panel mount pot and use that as a resoncace control. Makes a nice quack all the way up to self oscillation.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

cab42

Quote from: mat on October 17, 2006, 05:23:19 PM
Hi Carsten,

I would like to have the vero layout if You dont mind. I did not find it on Your layout gallery folder.

Mat

I forgot to add it to my folder in the gallery, but I will do it tonight.

However I uploadad it to Bancikas site as it is made with his layout creator, so you can find it there in diy-format.

If you build, let me know how you get along.

Regards

Carsten
  • SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

MetalUpYerEye

:icon_redface:
I had the transistor in backwards.

Everything works fine now, thanks guys.

R.G.

QuoteI had the transistor in backwards.
It happens to all of us. My favorite trick is putting in sockets for ICs and then doing debug on the bottom of the board where I have access to all of the voltages and currents but NOT being able to see that I did not put an IC in the socket.

That's a really frustrating one to spend a day or two on.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Marossy

MetalUpYerEye

Quote from: R.G. on October 19, 2006, 08:23:08 AM
My favorite trick is putting in sockets for ICs and then doing debug on the bottom of the board where I have access to all of the voltages and currents but NOT being able to see that I did not put an IC in the socket.
Guilty.  :icon_rolleyes:

I was surprised that the wah actually wah'ed a little with the transistor in backwards. Like I said you have to rock the shit out of it to hear it but it was coming through a little. I guess if someone was looking for a subtle wah now we know what to do; build a Colorsound with a backwards transistor!  :icon_biggrin:

mat

Quote from: cab42 on October 18, 2006, 02:01:25 AM
Quote from: mat on October 17, 2006, 05:23:19 PM
Hi Carsten,

Mat

I forgot to add it to my folder in the gallery, but I will do it tonight.

However I uploadad it to Bancikas site as it is made with his layout creator, so you can find it there in diy-format.

If you build, let me know how you get along.

Regards

Carsten

Thanks Carsten  8) I'll let You know when I have it ready (I'm terrible for having 10 unfinished projects at time..  ::))

btw. there was some letters overlapping on the file - not a problem tho'

cheers,
mat

idlechatterbox

Old thread, but I'll post my build report here in case someone does a search, mainly because my pedal was also what I'd call a "subtle" wah. Did the following mods, mostly because I didn't have some of the parts that were called for in Cab42's vero layout (and I was too busy to order them).

Mods:
1. didn't have a 5.7m resistor for R3. Used 6m instead.
2. used 2n2222. Seemed to be "brighter" than 5088 or 5089
3. for Sweep pot, used 120k, instead of 100k
4. did the recommended mod of replacing jumper with pot for Intensity. Used a 5k "fine-tuner" pot (not sure what else to call it, like a trimmer but in a regular size pot). Tried a 1k regular pot too. Could never get that much reaction out of it, though with the 5k there's a little change.
5. did the recommended mod of replacing R10 with a bigger resistor. Used 180k. Not sure how the build is without that mod, as mine had a serious volume drop with the 47k. Originally, I had a 100k pot in there that I used as a volume control. Worked good, but I didn't have space in the enclosure, so went back to the fixed resistor. 
6. experimented with C5. The schem calls for .0068uf. That works, but to my ears was too bassy with humbuckers. I rigged a DPDT so that I can switch between that cap for single-coils and a smaller one for humbuckers. Made a big difference.

Didn't build mine with a rocker pedal. Just stuck it in a regular enclosure. Subtle, but good wah tone. With the pots maxed out, it creates a really nice Trem/Vibrato tone. I mainly use it for that. In fact, I ditched my Danelectro vibrato I liked the Colorsound so much.  :icon_lol:

Exactopposite

this has me curious about the circuit in my inductorless colorsound. I may just take the board out so i can get a good look at it and draw up a schematic.

cab42

Quoting from the absolute favourite build thread.

Quote from: idlechatterbox on May 13, 2008, 08:43:14 AM
Quote from: cab42 on May 12, 2008, 06:39:58 PM
Quote from: idlechatterbox on May 09, 2008, 08:39:03 PM

Colorsound Inductorless Wah

1. very intuitive vero layout, thanks to Cab42

Does that mean that my layout is verified? Never got around to build it myself.

Verified. One thing: on the copy that I downloaded, I think that there's a typo for C7. It lists the value as .0022pf. I assumed that was supposed to be .0022uf. Either way, thanks for the layout. I should probably post a "build report" in one of the Colorsound Induct. Wah threads, in case others are tempted to build it too.  8)

Thanks, I'll check the schematics and change the layout if necessary.

Edit: IdleChatterBox is correct, the value for C7 in my layout should be 0,0022uf NOT 0,0022pf. I'll try to fix it soon.

Regards

Carsten
  • SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn