Hyperflange + Chorus vs. A/DA vs. MXR

Started by Dave_B, September 03, 2006, 10:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_B

I've got the chips and artwork to build a Hyperflange + Chorus, but I'm trying to decide if I should direct my efforts that way, or use the SAD-1024A to clone an A/DA or MXR Flanger.  Has anyone here ever heard a Hyperflange + Chorus to compare them and help me decide? 

I'm trying to figure out my next project and, since it takes me six months to finish something, I have to be a little careful.   :)

Input is appreciated!
Help build our Wiki!

Mark Hammer

Mine is sitting all populated and about 60% wired up, with a nice rackmount-sized chassis painted and mostly legended.  I keep trying to get to it and finish the damn thing.  So, I can't tell you anything about how it sounds.  Given that it uses a compander, I thnk it is safe to say it will  be quieter than the MXR or A/DA.  Given the range of controls it includes, it will also be more flexible than either of those.  I'd be happy to sdend anyone here a scan of the PCB pattern so they can make their own (PAiA doesn't support it anymore so I don't mind), but the problem is that the CEM3340, which forms the heart of the sweep circuitry, is virtually unobtainable.  If you thought you had a hard time finding an SAD1024, just TRY finding a 3340 for less than the price of a fully built flanger.

I used to own an MXR unit, and quite frankly, it never did anything for me, but that's my own personal bias.  The A/DA has a really lovely wide sweep, and probably comes as close as anything will to the ultrawide sweep the Hyperflange is capable of.  So, for a decent-sounding unit that depends on only ONE hard-to-find component, the A/DA is the better path to pursue.  Note as well that the A/DA has a control-voltage input for controlling the sweep (with Manual and Depth rotated fully) so you can always try out alternate LFO waveforms post-build....something you couldn't do with the MXR.

StephenGiles

I would agree with Mark there, and I would go on to say that because the Hyperflange has a compander it loses some of the guts of the SAD 1024 sound, so I would go for the ADA, particularly with Mike Irwin's mods.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

redeffect

Just a note to make you laugh/cringe: Sequential circuits has CEM3340  in "limited quantities" for the princely price of (drum roll...)  $75 apiece. Plus $8 S/H. I am just stating facts. NOT making judgements...
red

Dave_B

QuoteSequential circuits has CEM3340  in "limited quantities" for the princely price of (drum roll...)  $75 apiece. Plus $8 S/H.
Fortunately, I bought mine from Paia in the mid-80's for $10.  The SAD-1024A was purchased at Radio Shack around the same time.  Like Mark, I've been sitting on this one a good long while. 
Help build our Wiki!

Mark Hammer

Ah, well then if you are suitably equipped, I can send you some useful scans.  Pop me a PM.