Grit control for Bluesbreaker

Started by Mark Hammer, September 10, 2006, 01:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GGBB

Quote from: mimmotronics on December 19, 2018, 01:06:54 PM
Quote from: Roobin on September 10, 2006, 04:48:47 PM
Merci, Mark.

Sorry, slightly OT, but I've always wondered why the tone and volume are referenced to 4.5v, not ground. Does this have any audible effect?.

The 4.5V bias is chosen for the pot because the other side of the pot is biased to 4.5V as well. If you have one side biased to ground and the other biased to 4.5V then you would have a fixed DC voltage at the wiper. As you turn the pot, the wiper sees a change in DC voltage which ultimately manifests as audible noise as the pot is turned.

Over.

Twelve.

Years.

But nice answer anyway. ;)
  • SUPPORTER

mimmotronics

Quote from: GGBB on December 19, 2018, 01:39:02 PM
Quote from: mimmotronics on December 19, 2018, 01:06:54 PM
Quote from: Roobin on September 10, 2006, 04:48:47 PM
Merci, Mark.

Sorry, slightly OT, but I've always wondered why the tone and volume are referenced to 4.5v, not ground. Does this have any audible effect?.

The 4.5V bias is chosen for the pot because the other side of the pot is biased to 4.5V as well. If you have one side biased to ground and the other biased to 4.5V then you would have a fixed DC voltage at the wiper. As you turn the pot, the wiper sees a change in DC voltage which ultimately manifests as audible noise as the pot is turned.

Over.

Twelve.

Years.

But nice answer anyway. ;)

Thank you, :P I landed on the page from Google so I figure better to improve on old posts if people are still landing here.