Phaser is screaming at me. Ibanez PT 9

Started by Fr_3_aK, September 13, 2006, 07:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr_3_aK

Hello again,

I plugged in an old Ibanez PT 9 Phaser pedal i had given to me, and it just squeals at me. Sounds like a guitar that's feeding back.
Wheather i step on the switch or not, it just squeals. The "on" light is always on too.

I've pulled it apart and everything 'seems' to be inplace. Any tips on where i could start?

Thanks.

Fr_3_aK

EDIT

turning the knobs does modulate the sound (as much as you can witha squealing noise)

Pressing the on/off switch does turn the light on and off (but it still squeals regardless)

A wire IS missing from one of the input or output jacks (i pulled it apart and didnt label which is which)

Fr_3_aK

ok the wire that is missing is for the battery ground, no biggy.

I should mention that the pedal used to work, i played through it before, it was just a little fuzzy and noisy. Now no signal gets through and all i get is a loud squeal.

John Lyons

I have a dead one on the bench now. Sure a lot of stuff in there!!!! I'm poking around some more, just thought I'd post since I have the same unit...

Anyone savy with these?

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Fr_3_aK

So where should i start? Grab a multimeter and start checking everything?

Resolder everything? Start replacing bits one by one? Which components first?

Honestly ive got a squealing box.... it can only be half broken right?

R.G.

Have a look at http://geofex.com/fxdebug/fxdebug.htm

In the absence of a schemo, I would clean it up, replace all the electro caps, and resolder the joints. If it still squealed, I would locate and open up the feedback pot.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Fr_3_aK

Oooo at a glance this schematic for a PT909 is the same as far as i can tell. Pots, wire colours etc. The ICs are different tho

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/ibanezpt909.pdf

But what can i do now i couldnt do without it?

Fr_3_aK

So after i resolder every joint, and replace all the caps, what can i do next?

deedeeramone

I got the same problem with my phaser PT-9,,,,how did you solve this problem? It is not working an screamingin any position

thank you for you help

yo

France

armdnrdy

deedeeramone,

I don't know if you realize that you can click on a member's name to see when they last posted.

Fr_3_aK made 20 posts with the last one being September 2006.

That was 6 years, 7 months, and 19 days ago!

To put it in other terms:
346 weeks and 1 day.
or..2,424 days.
or..58,152 hours.
or..3,489,120 minutes.

If you are waiting on a reply from him.....it may be a while!  I don't believe he's an active member any longer.  ;)
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)