can anyone help me identify these types of caps?

Started by liam012, September 23, 2006, 03:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liam012

hi- just starting out in the stompbox building world and wondering if there is a chart anywhere with pics and names of different types of caps?
if not can anyone help me identify these types of caps?
i know  the rectangle orange on the left is a wima but what type is that?
above that upsidown is a ceramic disc i think but what is the small yellow one next to it?
then the row up mthe right way starts with a dark brown mica and then a yellow one? i am kind of lost then...
any help appreciated
liam

Rectangular

I've found this to be a good site for beginner component explanations:

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/capac.htm

also check around for Craig Anderton's "Electronic Projects For Musicians" book,  I found it to be very insightful when I first started out

-rec

davebungo

billings

Can anybody point me to a site where I could identify old old capacitors?  Somebody gave me an old tube TV set and I'm wondering if there's anything worth salvaging.

Dai H.

the wima is a boxed film cap, probably metallized polyester. Try googling to find the exact series. The fatter bead to the right is a tantalum. Bottom row left to right, mica, monolithic ceramic (a large value one, I think), probably metal polyester, ditto, Sanyo OS-Con, and the rest are aluminum electrolytics. I would look at some of those sites as suggested, plus try peering into various pieces of elec. equipment.