Author Topic: Beginner Project Ingredients  (Read 3486 times)

odway

Beginner Project Ingredients
« on: September 19, 2006, 11:57:29 PM »
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here.
I stumbled across this forum a while ago after having been really keen to build my own effects but having no idea where to start. This place is awesome! This beginner project will be my first ever build, but I predict that someone will have to hold my hand the whole way through because I haven't got many brain cells dedicated to this stuff yet!

I'm off to dick smiths this weekend to pick up some stuff and was hoping someone could have a quick look at my shopping list to let me know if I'm getting the right stuff. I need to start from scratch, no one in my house is handy. This is what I have at the moment for all the tools etc:

I already have a decent pair of needle nose pliers, wire snips and log book. Wasn't too sure about what to choose for the soldering gear.

This is the parts:

I think the only things missing from there are the switch and the box. I think I'll mount it into a plastic project box but am not sure what size to get... and I have no idea what to get for a switch. Also I guess I'll need a knob too, I searched DSE and there were tonnes but I wasnt sure how to match up the size with the pot.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Cheers!

AzzR

• Great Contributor!
  • Azza - To Much Is Usually Excessive
Re: Beginner Project Ingredients
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 12:06:22 AM »
Since your ordering from Dick Smith I would assume your from Australia (If you not them Im sorry)

For you switch Jaycar Electronics sells heavy duty DPDT stomp switches, They seem to get good and bad reviews, Ive had people tell me they broke on them. Ive never had a problem with them. However since they are only DPDT you wont be able to have a status LED (Unless you build a millenium bypass etc)

-Dream
A Broken Clock Is Right Twice A Day

odway

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 06:15:01 AM »
Yep I'm an Aussie!
Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at getting a switch from them. I don't think I mind making a bypass, I'm feeling that it's the next logical step forward anyway once I've managed to get the project together. I'd never heard of jaycar elecs. before, there's a shop nearby so not sure how I didnt notice. Thanks again for the help!

idlechatterbox

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 01:56:04 PM »
I don't know how essential they are, but those plastic ties (the cops use them, though larger, for handcuffs) are very handy sometimes, as is that insulating "shrink wrap" that you put on exposed joints/connections. Good luck.  :icon_smile: