Author Topic: Beginners Start Here: Forrest Mims' Getting Started in Electronics Book  (Read 4624 times)

Floyd Pepper

I recently picked up a second hand copy of Forrest Mims "Getting Started in Electronics".  What a great book this is.  It showed me how much I thought I knew but, in fact, didn't really understand.

There's lots of advanced books out there, eg Art of Electronics, but these assume you know how passive components work and know the basics active components.  Getting Started covers the simple everyday stuff.  And it's got lots of pictures.   ;D

If you're just starting out get a copy of this book.

cornelvis

definitely

Hiwatt25

Re: Beginners Start Here: Forrest Mims' Getting Started in Electronics Book
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 03:06:54 PM »
Based on the recommendations in this thread, I decided to buy a copy as well.  It is written in plain English which is just what I needed to get my head around some of the concepts I've been struggling with.  At first I didn't care for the "notebook, hand written" format but it actually grew on me.  It's been a great informal introduction for me.  I'm sure I'll read it several more times and I intend to hold on to it as a valuable resource.  Just my two cents.

walmarks

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 09:43:14 AM »
hey I am in knoxville tn. Where can I get this particular mims book? Is there a certain book store chain that carries the mims series?
Can I order it online? I checked ebay and it doesnt look like this one rolls through although ALL the other mims books seem to be up....

Hiwatt25

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 11:04:46 AM »
I got my copy from nuts and volts magazine.  http://www.nutsvolts.com/  Just look in there "online store" section.  Mine had to come straight from the publisher because they were out of stock.  I imagine they have more copies now.

$uperpuma

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 02:51:42 PM »
I know the 555 book has meant hours of fun for me :)
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.