Want to build a discrete parallel loop (splitter + blender)

Started by Hardtailed, September 24, 2006, 03:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardtailed

My amp has a serie loop, but I prefer to run time based effects in parallel (to not send all my signal through the AD/DA conversion).

All I want is to split the signal in two, and then mix it together at the end. It's gonna be used in the loop, so line levels and not as sensitive to impedance as when used with the guitar.

I'd rather keep it discrete based.

I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that putting a simple transistor based buffer/line-driver at the input (similar to the TS input stage, but with proper impedance for a line level signal) will allow me to just feed the FX processor while keeping a separate line with my dry signal. That would be my splitter right? Simple buffer then you just "Y" the output?

Now what do I do to mix these signals back together? Do I simply combine them and put another buffer at the end?

$uperpuma

you might take a look at moosapotamus' paralooper... I have the board for one built but haven't gotten to test it yet...
http://www.moosapotamus.net/THINGS/paraloop.htm
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

B Tremblay

B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Hardtailed

Thanks guys

But, anything with discrete components?

Since unity gain is required, can I just replace every opamp stage by a simple transistor buffer?

Also, blend does not really apply. I want my dry signal to pass through with the same strength, and the effected signal to be simply added on top (I'll control the amount of effect signal right on the processor). Can I just remove the blend pot and just combine the two signals? Do I need to replace by some resistors?