Dirty sanchez= Brilliant design

Started by Yun, September 26, 2006, 03:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yun

Hey guys, i just built the dirty sanchez:

Man, what a fuzz!!!!  I hadn't been building lateley because all the fuzz circuits going around are bland, and i got bored with it- so i started designing my own.  Well, since i built this sick-o i'm VERY "hyped" again!  So, a HUGE thank you to Mr.Dragonfly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You made me have fun again  ;D  . 

So, here's the most successful "mods" that i used:

-Q2's colector's resistor (stock is 10K) i bumped it up to 22K, then i pushed it to the limit of 47K and settled at that
-i used 1N914's, i also added a diode clipping circuit, and a compression control. 

Results:

With those mods above; it's very sustainey, and suprisingly touch sensative.  And with the addition of the compression control; combined with the texture control- you get some pretty good sounds out of it, man. 

My faveorite thing about this:  You can get an "Over driven mixer" fuzz tone out of it.  Which i'm VERY happy with- as i was wasting money on old mixers trying to find a decent circuit to copy.  So, Dragonfly has saved me a lot of work and headaches there.  Very effector 13-ish in sound as well. 

Bottom line:

BUILD IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You WILL NOT and CANNOT be disapointed, period. 

Anyone else fallen in love with this circuit eh?

"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

Dragonfly

...dang it, now i'm gonna blush....    :icon_redface:

glad you like it yun...i know youre pretty picky on fuzzes....

one of the things ive suggested in a few threads was to use 100k trim pots (or even regular pots!) for Q2 and Q3's collector resistors, so that they can be biased for more sustain and more touch sensitivity...it looks like youve added a few more great mods !  did you add something similar to the AMZ "warp" control, tacked onto the end, or just diode clip it ?  youve got me curious....

originally, when i designed it, i wanted people to be able to get a "nasty" fuzz with parts that were even available at radio shack...with a few mods it becomes a real beast....

this fuzz is LOUD !  ...i always recommend to those interested in building it that they "start" with the volume down...it can easily kill your preamp...though i'm gonna venture a guess that your addition of clipping diodes/compression circuit helps tame this a bit....

anyway, i'm glad you like it...its a fun, sick, nasty, malicious sounding fuzz !   :icon_twisted:

heres a link to the schematic, for those who are interested....

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Dragonfly-FX-Schematics-%21/DIRTY_SANCHEZ_SCHEMATIC?full=1

rock on.
  AC

Yun

hehehehe, can i like uh.....marry you eh?  :icon_mrgreen:   :icon_lol:

Yeah, i am very picky about fuzzes, and in all honesty- the dirty sanchez has earned a permanent spot on my pedal board, man! 

Hmmmmmm, i did'nt think about that, man.  100K trims eh?  Looks like that i'm going to be building another one, man.  With pride- i might add....

Yeah, that's another thing that i LOVE about it- i've got a BILLION 10K and 100K's, 1n914's, etc.  just laying around, and it's so simple to whip up 4 times after 1 trip to radio-shack. 

Well, i read that it was really loud, and i was in dis-belief; so i stuck my usual 1-Meg volume pot in there, and- well you can immagine what words were coming out of my g/f's mouth at 12:00 am hahahaha. 

I'll make you a schematic on how i built it, mr.Dragonfly . 
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

Yun

Dragonfly

Quote from: Yun on September 26, 2006, 01:14:27 PM
hehehehe, can i like uh.....marry you eh?  :icon_mrgreen:   :icon_lol:

Yeah, i am very picky about fuzzes, and in all honesty- the dirty sanchez has earned a permanent spot on my pedal board, man! 

Hmmmmmm, i did'nt think about that, man.  100K trims eh?  Looks like that i'm going to be building another one, man.  With pride- i might add....

hell...just use a 10k resistor and a regular 100k pot in place of the trim, that way its easy to adjust "on the fly"...

Yeah, that's another thing that i LOVE about it- i've got a BILLION 10K and 100K's, 1n914's, etc.  just laying around, and it's so simple to whip up 4 times after 1 trip to radio-shack. 

its super easy to build, and definitely has a unique, cool tone....

Well, i read that it was really loud, and i was in dis-belief; so i stuck my usual 1-Meg volume pot in there, and- well you can immagine what words were coming out of my g/f's mouth at 12:00 am hahahaha. 

:icon_lol:  LMAO !

I'll make you a schematic on how i built it, mr.Dragonfly . 

cool...thats how i was "guessing" you built it, but its nice to have it confirmed....

you might try this....use germanium diodes in place of the silicon ones...i dont "know" that it will give this result, but it may help the "octave fuzz" that happens at the upper end of the "texture" control be more pronounced....just an idea to play with...

i'm gonna have to "re-visit" this circuit...its been a couple years since i designed it... (geez...time flies...)

keep on fuzzin' !

AC

lerxstlover

Hey Guys (Dragonfly/Yun),

After reading your posts I got excited about building this one.  This is my FIRST attempt at converting a schemy to a PCB layout, so would you mind giving it a quick once over to make sure I've got it right?  This is based on the modded schemy posted by Yun earlier.

I "think" I have it right.  I appreciate it!

jmusser

I may have been the first one who ever built this when it first came out. I really like the tone of this fuzz. What I need to do, is figure a way to switch the sustain in and out, because I would like to have the sustain for leads, but the nasty gatey original tone for rhythm. I'll just have to spend some time with the original circuits, and your mods, and being able to change them at will.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

RLBJR65

lerxstlover, thats a great job! Only thing I see is that R4 needs connected to +9V.
Richard Boop

leonhendrix

I've heard the term 'Dirty Sanchez' before and if I posted what I know it to mean i'll probably get banned.  :icon_surprised:

Dragonfly

Quote from: jmusser on September 27, 2006, 07:24:51 AM
,,,,, because I would like to have the sustain for leads, but the nasty gatey original tone for rhythm..

use a footswitch to change bias resistors on Q2 ......

lerxstlover

Quote from: RLBJR65 on September 27, 2006, 07:38:41 AM
lerxstlover, thats a great job! Only thing I see is that R4 needs connected to +9V.

:icon_redface: Oops....hehehe

Thanks! Will fix!

Yun

Quote from: jmusser on September 27, 2006, 07:24:51 AM
I may have been the first one who ever built this when it first came out. I really like the tone of this fuzz. What I need to do, is figure a way to switch the sustain in and out, because I would like to have the sustain for leads, but the nasty gatey original tone for rhythm. I'll just have to spend some time with the original circuits, and your mods, and being able to change them at will.

You can do that with a SPDT flip switch can't you eh?  Although; you'd have to have 2 switches, man.  Hmmmm Ooooo a DPDT would work, man.  I'll try to post a schematic tonight....

goosonique

How would you compare this to Tims Triple ...Yun ? :)
<((one man with courage makes a majority))>

Yun

Quote from: goosonique on September 27, 2006, 09:41:57 PM
How would you compare this to Tims Triple ...Yun ? :)

If by tipple; you mean tripple fuzz; then:  i'd say- far better to my taste. 

This fuzz box is actually pretty versatile, man.  You can pretty much get the old Univox/unicord Super-fuzz tones, creammy FF style fuzz (like Eric clapton's tone(s) live in the 1968 "Cream era"), over-driven mixer type fuzz-tones (nirvana's "stay away", or Les claypool's Frog bregade "David makalaston") . 

Right now; to give you an idea of how i got these tones; here's my RIG:

-Old ibanez ES-335 Copy, or 1982 fender strat (AKA the rare bird, bassically a 69' strat with H/s/s configuration, blonde maple fret-board etc.)--->Rack compressor--->dirty sanchez (with Q2 and Q3's collectors at 100K and the diode clipping circuit with compression control)--->31-band Rack EQ--->Old 100Watt peavey tube amp. 

Here's the layout thanks to:  lerxstlover (i fixed the PCB layout, and added a few " new-B goodies")

lerxstlover

I finished it last nite and mine's got the blats... :icon_frown:  No big deal, I pulled pots from a 1984 American Metal Pedal that had a glorious death many moons ago so I'll swap those out.  I can hear the fuzz underneath, though...

bdevlin

Quote from: Yun on September 27, 2006, 08:44:58 PM
You can do that with a SPDT flip switch can't you eh?  Although; you'd have to have 2 switches, man.  Hmmmm Ooooo a DPDT would work, man.  I'll try to post a schematic tonight....

What exactly would the DPDT switch?  I think you should put that in your layout ;) ;)

Dragonfly

Quote from: bdevlin on September 28, 2006, 02:07:41 PM
Quote from: Yun on September 27, 2006, 08:44:58 PM

What exactly would the DPDT switch?  I think you should put that in your layout ;) ;)

well...im not yun, but what i suggested earlier was this...  http://aronnelson.com/gallery/The-Mod-Zone-%21/DUAL_VOLUME ...except that instead of pots, you'd either use trimmers or fixed resistors to toggle between biasing points....

AC

Dragonfly

goosonique

nice...  Yun ...i am sucker for simple fuzz builds and picky as well !!
Ok will give it a go this weekend as i got a few 3904's and higher gain 5088's ...sweet !!   ;D
<((one man with courage makes a majority))>

Yun

Quote from: goosonique on September 28, 2006, 09:43:07 PM
nice...  Yun ...i am sucker for simple fuzz builds and picky as well !!
Ok will give it a go this weekend as i got a few 3904's and higher gain 5088's ...sweet !!   ;D

Heck yeah, man.  I used 3904's in mine, for Q2 and Q3 to compensate the 5089 that i have in the Q1 position.  i think that this might be the "key" to building this effect, man.  Heck dude; just socket those suckers. 

so that's:

Q1=5809
Q2 and Q3=3904's with collectors at 100K

PS:  dragonfly, you beat me to the punch on the DPDT mod, man.  wierd; i had mine drawn up exactly like that aswell.  great minds do think alike eh?  Only that yours HAS to be far greater than mine....as my mind is no longer in "mint condish"