Dirty sanchez= Brilliant design

Started by Yun, September 26, 2006, 03:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcobretti

Too late, I already made a layout for yours.

Dragonfly

Quote from: tcobretti on December 09, 2006, 12:12:04 AM
Too late, I already made a layout for yours.

I think you forgot "Yuns mods modded by Dragonfly modded by T Cobretti" !  :D

tcobretti

Yeah, this has been an interesting thread.  You design a pedal that it seems to me was sorta unnoticed by most of us, then Yun finds it, declares it a brilliant design, and comes up with a bunch of mods, and then you fine tune them and post this great sounding 5 minute long clip.  Between this and the Cream Pie you've had a couple of design by committee threads that have been really cool.

slacker

Love the sound clip some truely evil tones in there. I think I might mod mine to include the sag pot.

Yun

Yeah, this is one of those "slap head" threads, man.  For me anyway.  I come up with great mods, Dragonfly comes up with better mods to my mods, and i'll slap my head and say "why didn't i think of that, man!?".  Just proves that dragonfly is, well as my niese would say, "the shizzle bomb"   :icon_lol:  . 

"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

tcobretti

Ok, the layout is verified.  The pot on the emitter of Q3 is highly recommended.  It doesn't control a gate so much as misbias the pot.  It makes it nastier.

I found the circuit incredibly sensitive to transistor selection.  It oscillated a lot with MPSA18/MPSA13, and the "gate" knob helped a little with this.  If Q2 was too high gain, it made the gate work less effectively.  Definitely, definitely, definitely, definitely socket the transistors.  Definitely.

So far, for my tastes I'm thinking medium to high gain Q1 to control the oscillation, low to medium gain for Q2, and probly med to high for Q3.  This pedal has such a sparkling high end that it sounds really good thru bright sounding amps, in fact it may have sounded best thru my little crappo DIY solid state amp.

BTW, remember the thread where Jack Orman said to turn the transistor the "wrong" way?  Try plugging a med to high gain into the Q3 with the emitter and collector reversed.

One last thing.  I would not say that the final version is a replacement for the original.  The two I have built are very different pedals.

8mileshigh

This one sounds amazing Dragonfly/Yun.  I hope to build this over the holidays to help spread the holiday cheer  :icon_smile:

Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

Tuemmueh

Is there any chance that the famous ;) 5min Sample is re-uploaded somewhere, since it link isn't working anymore?

... Timm

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

The Dirty Sanchez must be a good design, because I see a home-made one for sale at my local secondhand music shop! In Melbourne Australia!

tcobretti

The first one I built was for a friend, and I loved it.  I need to rebuild the original version; that thing was nasty!

Dragonfly

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on October 08, 2007, 08:49:20 PM
The Dirty Sanchez must be a good design, because I see a home-made one for sale at my local secondhand music shop! In Melbourne Australia!

How much are they asking for it ?

I might paypal you some $$$ to buy it and send it to me, if you could do that...I think it would be cool to have :)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Don't get excited, it's only a BYOC board with three socketed OC75s.
Nicely hand painted. I've sent you a PM.

Tuemmueh

Isn't there anyone who has that sample and can upload it or send it to me?

8mileshigh

Google up the Ultra Lord or look for it on Ebay, Andrew's 5 minute sample is there  :icon_lol:
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

Tuemmueh

ultar

i built a quick one of these the other night after reading this thread and i must agree that it is awesome. mine has virtually endless sustain with the fuzz knob around noon and an awesome octave type sound at 5 o'clock. i used 4001 diode clipping to ground and will probably mess around with others before putting it in its own enclosure.

is this circuit really the design basis for the ultra lord?

tcobretti

My understanding is that there are substantial differences between the DS and the UL.  They are similar, but different enough.

slacker

The Ultralord is supposedly similar to the pedal in this thread. The Ultralord only has 4 knobs though and Yun's modded Dirty Sanchez posted here and the thing that finally developed out of this thread had 5 so they're obviously not exactly the same circuit.

sfzerosean

*BUMP*

This may be a weird maneuver for a first post, but I think the 'Sanchez needs a little love once again.  I "got the fever" you all know about a month ago when I decided to build tonepad's TS clone, and since then I've been reading the forum, slowly increasing the fraction of how much I understand in each thread.

If you're like me, fellow newbie, you've built your kinda-custom bazz fuss, maybe futzed around with breadboarding a 555 led flasher circuit with a simple boost to make a poor man's (really clicky) trem, and you're waiting on that echo base or whatever else until you've figured out a little bit more about how things work.

To you I say, go for the Sanchez, and read this thread.  The effect is a beast, and hard to break.  You can easily build it after a trip to RadioShack if you don't feel like waiting for mail order parts.  I think you can learn a lot reading through everyone trading mods to a relatively simple circuit.  Most of the samples and images have, sadly, disappeared, but the Ultra Lord sample is similar, and there's enough schematic info here to figure it out!  If you've made your Bazz Fuss and your one-transistor boost, you're ready, so build it!

bumblebee

I reversed the ultra lord and there's enough differences between it and the dirty sanchez to build both, or better yet buy the ultra lord and make the DS.