Dirty sanchez= Brilliant design

Started by Yun, September 26, 2006, 03:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixr1984

Quote from: slacker on October 22, 2006, 03:58:04 PM
cool, glad you liked them. I've got it vero, but as it happens I've got a jumper between Q1's emitter and ground so I could easily splice a pot in there. I'll give it a try.

Did you do a layout of your own or did you try the one I drew up from
up above? Just woundering if my layout was working or not thats all.

slacker

I did my own layout to incorporate the mods that I had done.

Yun

this circuit deserves a " bump in the thread"   :icon_biggrin:

here's the no-decay mod for those that do not desire note decay ala Mr.Slacker's mods:

"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

slacker

Cool, looks good Yun. I'm getting ready to box mine up and I'm going to use a second stomp switch to bypass the 560R resistor to give a kind of rythm/lead option.
If you did all the mods in this thread you'd have an absolute monster of a pedal  :icon_mrgreen:

Yun

Quote from: slacker on October 26, 2006, 08:12:46 AM
Cool, looks good Yun. I'm getting ready to box mine up and I'm going to use a second stomp switch to bypass the 560R resistor to give a kind of rythm/lead option.
If you did all the mods in this thread you'd have an absolute monster of a pedal  :icon_mrgreen:

I was kind of thinking that a "sag" mod would be effective in this circuit, man.  What do you think eh?

I'm currently building another one with these mods:

Transistors:  MPS NPN's (high gain)
Diodes: 1n914's
Q1 collector: 12K
Q2 collector: 47K
Q3 collector: 100K trimmer
Q3 Emmiter: 330 ohm

Additions:

Sag-mod
Diode clipping circuit (1N914's)
compression control

THEN i might just be set  :icon_lol:
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

Dragonfly

Quote from: Yun on October 26, 2006, 09:35:07 PM
Quote from: slacker on October 26, 2006, 08:12:46 AM

I was kind of thinking that a "sag" mod would be effective in this circuit, man.  What do you think eh?

I'm currently building another one with these mods:

Transistors:  MPS NPN's (high gain)
Diodes: 1n914's
Q1 collector: 12K
Q2 collector: 47K
Q3 collector: 100K trimmer
Q3 Emmiter: 330 ohm

Additions:

Sag-mod
Diode clipping circuit (1N914's)
compression control

THEN i might just be set  :icon_lol:

are you able to do sound clips Yun ?

AC

Dragonfly

could be cool, especially if you sub a germanium for Q2...

by "sag mod", i'm assuming the +9 volts---->5k-10k pot---->circuit, correct ?

slacker

As mine's still out of the box I tried the "sag" mod with a 10k between +9 and the circuit, with interesting results.
The first quarter of the rotation seemed to increase the gain in the same way as individual collector pots do. After that mine went into self oscillation with the frequency varying with the rotation of the pot, sounded a bit like say a factory where fuzz is made if you get my drift  ;)
It was pretty cool to mess about with but not really what I'm after for now. I then put a 470uF cap across the circuit side of the pot and ground and this killed the oscillation and the pot basically acted like a gain pot across the whole rotation.
Definitely worth experimenting with.

Dragonfly

Quote from: slacker on October 27, 2006, 01:27:17 PM
As mine's still out of the box I tried the "sag" mod with a 10k between +9 and the circuit, with interesting results.
The first quarter of the rotation seemed to increase the gain in the same way as individual collector pots do. After that mine went into self oscillation with the frequency varying with the rotation of the pot, sounded a bit like say a factory where fuzz is made if you get my drift  ;)
It was pretty cool to mess about with but not really what I'm after for now. I then put a 470uF cap across the circuit side of the pot and ground and this killed the oscillation and the pot basically acted like a gain pot across the whole rotation.
Definitely worth experimenting with.

it'd be cool to make the 470Uf cap "switchable", in case you want the "theramin" sounds....

slacker

Just finished boxing the Dirty Sanchez up this afternoon so here's a couple of photos.

It's turned out looking a bit Zvex, which wasn't really intentional, I already had the box which was meant for another project and that seemed the best way to get 2 stomps in it. To be honest I was more inspired by moosapotamus's stuff.
The second stomp switches the "high gain" mod on and off and the hole is for the LED, which is going to be a red/green one. Red for high gain, green for normal as well as acting as a bypass indicator, not that it really needs one  :icon_mrgreen:

Yun

hey mr.Dragonfly,

Sorry that i havn't posted back; i've been swamped with work at my job....

I'll try to make a clip for youse, man.  i'll build a new one with those recent mods:

-Sag control
-compression control and diode clipping circuit
-330 ohm AKA "no note decay mod"
-Q1 collector: 12K
-Q2 collector: 47K
-Q3 collector: 100K trimmer

Give me a few days and i SHOULD have a clip for you, man....

Yun

Quote from: Dragonfly on October 26, 2006, 11:39:59 PM

Man, i was thinking a 2.2K but i think that you're "closer to the track than i was"  :icon_lol:

I was also thinking of a notch filter control, kind of like the fameous mod that Mark hammer put in the shen-ei Companion fuzz.  Or a notch filter switch like on the univox Super-Fuzz, you know? 

The sad thing is that i just got out of bed to try this on the one that i already built  :icon_redface:

Dragonfly

Quote from: Yun on October 29, 2006, 08:38:11 PM
Quote from: Dragonfly on October 26, 2006, 11:39:59 PM

Man, i was thinking a 2.2K but i think that you're "closer to the track than i was"  :icon_lol:

I was also thinking of a notch filter control, kind of like the fameous mod that Mark hammer put in the shen-ei Companion fuzz.  Or a notch filter switch like on the univox Super-Fuzz, you know? 

The sad thing is that i just got out of bed to try this on the one that i already built  :icon_redface:

:)

Well...at least the Sanchez has enough volume output that you can use a "scoop mod" without having to add a "recovery stage" afterwards !  :icon_mrgreen:

let me know how it goes !

AC

Yun

so, here's what i'm making today incase anyone else wants to make it:

Auke Haarsma

I've made an attempt to PCB this design. Could you please verify this?
-I've added a a TB switch + led
-D2 and D3 are unknown to me.
-Pots where unknown to me to, but I guessed Audio pots. Is this correct?
-I'm pretty new, this is my first "schematic to PCB"-attempt.

(bit messy with the two top pots, when verified I'll make sure the title and credits are clearly visible)

Yun

Quote from: ponq on November 12, 2006, 07:36:06 AM
I've made an attempt to PCB this design. Could you please verify this?
-I've added a a TB switch + led
-D2 and D3 are unknown to me.
-Pots where unknown to me to, but I guessed Audio pots. Is this correct?
-I'm pretty new, this is my first "schematic to PCB"-attempt.

(bit messy with the two top pots, when verified I'll make sure the title and credits are clearly visible)

Hmmmmm, it's seems alright at a quick glance, man.........yeah, it looks fine there, chief.  Great job, man!  And you said that you were new eh?  :icon_eek:

for diodes, i just used 1N914's for all of them. 

I really couldn't say about linear VS audio, man.  however; i myself used all audio pots. 

KEEP IN MIND:  as most of youse guys know- i'm a perf kinda guy; that being said i'd like someone to second me on the verification......please. 

Anyhoo; good work there, Pong!

markm

Being not overly famaliar with this circuit the only things I would change would be to straighten out the angled resistors and make the traces a bit thicker.  :icon_wink:
Looks real good though.

petemoore

would be to straighten out the angled resistors
  I used to place angled resistors for the purpose of marking them, ie say a bias resistor I might just angle all...makes it easier to tell which's which, I think the reason for angle ITCase is it was easy to make smaller layout.
  No need for a cap between Q3C and diodes to ground through the 25k? IIRC it was an OA build, I'd not placed a DC block between diodes to ground and that threw the bias off. [?../]
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

markm

To make the layout smaller you could also go with 4 hole spacing on the resistors as it tkaes up less room and they'll still fit without standing them up.  :icon_wink:

Auke Haarsma

thanks guys, I'll take the comments into account and upload an improved pcb in a day or so.