Auke Haarsma

So, a bit delayed, but here is the update:
-smaller PCB
-no angled parts
-thicker traces

I hope to build it tomorrow!

Yun

Thanks, Pong.  VERY good, man....i'm actually impressed  :icon_cool:
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

markm

Dragonfly

Looks GREAT !!!

NOW BUILD IT, DAMN IT !   :icon_mrgreen: :icon_twisted: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_twisted:

Yun

"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

cbriere

did someone made sound clips of this one?
i'm curious how it differs from a FF?

(also , Yun , this is the last week i keep  hope to receive my Vertigo pedal   :-\)

cbriere

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: Yun on November 19, 2006, 05:58:08 PM
Quote from: Dragonfly on November 19, 2006, 01:27:33 PM
Looks GREAT !!!

NOW BUILD IT, DAMN IT !   :icon_mrgreen: :icon_twisted: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_twisted:

:icon_lol:

I will I will I will ;) Made it last nite (yeah nite...) and gave it one test run with randomly picked trannies. No go...will have to troubleshoot to figure out what's wrong or maybe just different parts in Q1-3. Anywayz, mentioned capvalue's are ofcourse way off. C2-C5 : 0.1 uF, C1: 1.0-2.2 UF (I used 1 uF). When verified I'll update the schematic with the correct values.

KerryF

Quote from: cbriere on November 20, 2006, 07:28:00 AM

(also , Yun , this is the last week i keep  hope to receive my Vertigo pedal   :-\)

cbriere

Yea Yun,
I am now wondering if the trannies I got from you are even good.  I measured them all, and instead of being between .45-.9 volts like they should, they are much lower like in the .2s.  i have tried them in circuits and some I dont even get sound.  Some I get sound, but its crackly.  :-\

slacker

I did some soundclips of mine they're in my layouts gallery http://aronnelson.com/gallery/slackers-stuff and theres a description of the sounds and the mods I did on page 2 of this thread. My build was a bit different than Yun's version, but the clips should give you an idea of what the design's capable of.

tcobretti

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on November 20, 2006, 08:17:34 AM

cbriere

Yea Yun,
I am now wondering if the trannies I got from you are even good.  I measured them all, and instead of being between .45-.9 volts like they should, they are much lower like in the .2s.  i have tried them in circuits and some I dont even get sound.  Some I get sound, but its crackly.  :-\

I seem to remember that they were Ge trannies you got from Yun.  You have to remember that Ge trannies are tricky to bias.  If you aren't seeing 4.5ish volts at the collectors you tweak the bias resistors until you do see 4.5v.  If you hit the strings really hard and hear a little sound that quickly goes away, that is a bias problem.  As well, this circuit is designed for Si transistors, so you will certainly have to rebias the circuit for Ge transistors. 

BTW, I haven't built this yet, but my understanding is that you want medium/high HFE transistors, and Ge usually fall squarely in the low HFE camp.  They are also usually PNP, which is a problem if you don't configure the circuit properly to accomodate PNP transistors.

petemoore

Sounds like a good example of fairly extreme gating transistor being pushed hard on the input to overcome it's misbias to me...cool and different like a radio w/low batteries...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

KerryF

I mean, I tested them with my multimeter out of a circuit.

I used this: (from http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_semitest.html#sttam )
"Set your meter to the diode test. Connect the red meter lead to the base of the transistor. Connect the black meter lead to the emitter. A good NPN transistor will read a JUNCTION DROP voltage of between .45v and .9v. A good PNP transistor will read OPEN. Leave the red meter lead on the base and move the black lead to the collector. The reading should be the same as the previous test. Reverse the meter leads in your hands and repeat the test. This time, connect the black meter lead to the base of the transistor. Connect the red meter lead to the emitter. A good PNP transistor will read a JUNCTION DROP voltage of between .45v and .9v. A good NPN transistor will read OPEN. Leave the black meter lead on the base and move the red lead to the collector. The reading should be the same as the previous test. Place one meter lead on the collector, the other on the emitter. The meter should read OPEN. Reverse your meter leads. The meter should read OPEN. This is the same for both NPN and PNP transistors."

I didnt use them in this circuit either.  I used them in a place were Si or Ge trannies could go, and be biased.

tcobretti

Ok, if you have positively identified them as PNP/NPN, then I'd say the problem is almost definitely a bias problem.  I'm not sure there are any circuits where you can just pull a Si and plug in a Ge and have it work.  As far as I know you always have to massage the resistors to make it bias.

KerryF

Its the Multiface from ROG.  I have biased it correct.  I have put other Ge trannies in it and had it working fine.  But I test these Ge trannies from Yun and get a much lower voltage rating (this is out of the circuit).

Auke Haarsma

What would be a normal voltage reading between R8 (4.7k) and Led? I put 9V in and get like 1.8 V going into the LED. While after R9 (5k, before Sag pot) I get like 6.7V. Since 4.7k and 5k are very close to eachother, I expect to read the same V after the resistor.

No sound coming out of my Dirty so far, but I expect some probs with getting the right Voltage to the Q's. Only Q3 has small output on Emittor (0.4V). Q1 and Q2 have C 1.2V, B 0.6V and E: 0V.

Yun

well, i don't wanna seem like a bunghole, but this thread is about the dirty sanchez, not me- nor the deals that i have done,

i sold Kerry (call 1800) 20 germ diodes, 2 AC germ trannies, 4 Germ trannies (PNP) and 3 NPN germ trannies for 20 dollars; i'd say that the germ diodes alone are worth WAY more than 20 dollars alone; so i don't know why he's unhappy with me....

As for mr.Christian; that is all my fualt- as i unexpectedly started a new job working 50 hours a week, my PC broke down, finally got to mail him the package and the Package has not arrived yet- so that's out of my hands; i can only own up to the delay of shipping the pedal.....

Now, most of youse guys that know me know that i'm a very fair guy; it takes me A LOT to get me angry; however- i just think that it's disrespectful to "hijack" a thread and single me out rather than PM me, or e-mail me.  Catch the drift eh?

That being said; let's get back to DIY:

PONG:

If you get "no sound"; then i suggest that you look at the Off-board wireing that you have done.  Check the Pinouts of the transistors, etc.- you know the "de-bug drill"....

KerryF

I didnt say I was unhappy.  I think the deal was great for the diodes and stuff.  But it just seemed like maybe you sold me some of your dud Germ Trannies, or ones you never tested or anything.  Im fine with it, but it was just that I expected working germ trannies...

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: Yun on November 20, 2006, 09:54:41 PM
If you get "no sound"; then i suggest that you look at the Off-board wireing that you have done.  Check the Pinouts of the transistors, etc.- you know the "de-bug drill"....

The offboard wiring is exactly as shown in the layout above, I've swapped pinouts and swapped transistors, with values ranging from 100 Hfe to 700 Hfe. Could some1 please tell the order of CBE of Q1? I'm not sure about it, but since I tried it both ways, I don't think that's the prob.

I'm willing to learn, and even a debug-drill is pretty new to me. What other info should I provide?

Yun

Quote from: ponq on November 21, 2006, 02:04:09 AM
Quote from: Yun on November 20, 2006, 09:54:41 PM

The offboard wiring is exactly as shown in the layout above, I've swapped pinouts and swapped transistors, with values ranging from 100 Hfe to 700 Hfe. Could some1 please tell the order of CBE of Q1? I'm not sure about it, but since I tried it both ways, I don't think that's the prob.

I'm willing to learn, and even a debug-drill is pretty new to me. What other info should I provide?

Remember, that ALL the transistors in this circuit HAVE TO BE NPN, so- all transistors MUST have this layout:

If you're looking at the top o' the PCB, and the input of the circuit to the left:  The bullet part of the transistor points to the left Collector is on top, base in the middle emmiter goes to ground, so it should look like this:

C
B  (|   <------that being the transistor
E

On the diodes, the diode has to point in the right direction, man.  The black band is the arrow that you see in circuits.  So:

---[|  ]-----  =  --<|---- 

Make sure that the red wire of the 9V battery snap goes to the effect power, the black wire goes to your input jack, the far right lug. 

I'll make a Picture layout in a minuit that is easy to understand....

Yun

here you go, pong:

i noticed that in the layout that you did; the transistors are pointing to the right.  This is wrong; they should be pointing to the left, man.  So, i say that you need to flip your transistors around. 

Also, use new NPN transistors, i accidently blew Q3 in this circuit- and that has never happened before in my years of stomp-box building, so.....Just use NEW NPN silicon transistors, just to be safe/make sure

What transistors are you using eh?