Author Topic: Grounding...  (Read 6097 times)

PNG123

Grounding...
« on: September 27, 2006, 01:15:33 PM »
Hey guys,
I was looking at some schematics and i saw alot of arrows pointing down
(Examples:
- http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=18379.0
- http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=763.0

Can someone please Explain what Grounding is ,and what i should do hen i see that sign.

Thanks for your help,
PNG!23

idlechatterbox

Re: Grounding...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 01:51:01 PM »
The over-simplified answer is that anything represented by those arrows pointing down should be on the same electrical path with the other things with arrows pointing down. Theoretically, they should all eventually be connected to the grounded connection on a wall outlet, and from there, to the earth's core. But that's only a very, very crude account. Such thinking works better for jumping a dead battery on a car than wiring delicate electrical equipment.

I.e., even though you could in many if not most cases get away with simply connecting all the points with one connector (wire, chassis, etc), that's far from ideal and can lead to problems (noise, etc) and some safety concerns.

I've seen others posting pretty good explanations of grounding on this forum, so be sure and search for those.

There's also an excellent discussion of grounding here:

http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=288.0

Admittedly, when I'm in the work-up stages of guitar wiring or a pedal circuit, I just connect all ground points with black jumper wires & alligator clips. But that's only for test purposes, not the final build. And in truth.... it's actually not a good idea to be that lax with grounding even when jumping a car battery! What seems like a "good" ground is often only a kind of good ground, and nature finds a better one, which could be you or an expensive component. :icon_eek:

Good luck

PNG123

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 02:02:36 PM »
I searched the site and read a few links yet , i still do not know what gorunding is  :icon_cry:

I understood it has something to do with 'were cables all connect'
Ok let me make it easier, here are my questions:

1) When i see the ground sign in a Guitar schematic or a pedal one, what do i have to do
2) What is the purpose of grounding?

Barcode80

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 02:37:53 PM »
PNG, here is what novice level insight i can offer as to grounding.

1) in terms of reading a schematic, connect all the arrow points to each other and to the negative terminal of your battery

2) i think that basically ground is a point at which the current terminates. with a circuit without grounding, current flows into the circuit and kind of lingers. ground carries the voltage to the end of the circuit. This is not a true explanation of grounding, but I hope it helps you understand a little better!

PNG123

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 02:42:20 PM »
Yeh it was great,

So in a schematic whenever i see the grounding signs i stick out a wire, connect them all together (Weld) ,and connect to the Negative side of  a battery  :icon_biggrin:
That is all i needed to know :).

But isn't this danegerous? I thought you were not spposed to do that (or else that is what i understood from the first reply idle posted  ???

aron

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 03:26:48 PM »
Please check out the DIY FAQ link at the top. It addresses a lot of beginner questions.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/cnews/FAQ.html

PNG123

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 03:43:16 PM »
Ground - Where do the connections that show a ground symbol go to?

Generally speaking, take all the ground points, connect them together,
Ok got that

then connect them to the ground lug of the input or output jack.
Which part of the output jack, and what is a ground lug ?

Take the power supply (i.e. battery) and connect it to the ground lug as well.
What if you are modifying a guitar, there are no batteries in a guitar :S.

So in a pedal, i can either connect all the grounds then connect them to the Negative side of the battery ,
OR
Connect the grounds together,
Conect those wires to some part of the output jack, and then connect the negative side of battery to The same part of the output jack,

Correct?

Barcode80

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 03:57:51 PM »
Ground - Where do the connections that show a ground symbol go to?

Generally speaking, take all the ground points, connect them together,
Ok got that

So in a pedal, i can either connect all the grounds then connect them to the Negative side of the battery ,
OR
Conect those wires to some part of the output jack, and then connect the negative side of battery to The same part of the output jack,

Correct?

If you insert a guitar cable into a cable jack, look at what parts touch where. the "lug" (which is just a term for those tabs stickking out of the jack) that is attached to the piece that touches the tip of the cable is that jack's positive terminal. The one that touches the sleeve of the cable end and not the tip is the negative or ground terminal. see the beginner's threads...

In a guitar, if you are going to put a circuit into it, you have to power the circuit, so you will have to have a battery. so the same principles apply.

optimally, as opposed to running a bunch of wires off the board for ground, you would just solder all the leads that are supposed to go to ground to one common place on the board, then solder the neg. wire from your battery connector to them, right on the board or run a wire from them to the neg. post of the jack and attach the neg. wire from your battery connector there.

PNG123

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 04:01:20 PM »
Ok thanks alot, i finally got  it,
You are great guys  ;D

aron

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 04:02:16 PM »
Awww come on.  ;)

FROM THE FAQ:

Then don't connect the battery. The FAQ is in the context of a pedal. For a guitar you still have ground.

Yes, then it would be ON all the time.

Read this part of the FAQ:

Power - How do I make the input jack switch the power on and off?

OK, now read all of the FAQ including R.G's FAQ (which I link to) AND the WIKI!

http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/

aron

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 04:03:37 PM »
Uhhh that LUG/tab/"part where you solder" shown in the picture as "sleeve/GRND" is the ground LUG.
 ;D

PNG123

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 04:07:52 PM »
Awww come on.  ;)

FROM THE FAQ:

Then don't connect the battery. The FAQ is in the context of a pedal. For a guitar you still have ground.

Yes, then it would be ON all the time

Read this part of the FAQ:

Power - How do I make the input jack switch the power on and off?

OK, now read all of the FAQ including R.G's FAQ (which I link to) AND the WIKI!

http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/

I will read your tutorial to learn how to install a switch :)