A/DA Flanger does TZF?

Started by Dave_B, September 29, 2006, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMF Effects

Quote from: BMF Effects on January 05, 2007, 06:31:58 PM
Quote from: moosapotamus on December 22, 2006, 01:22:31 PM
Quote from: sfr on December 22, 2006, 12:42:53 PM
...it turns out the usual trimpots from Smallbear I have in the parts drawer don't really want to fit this board, (now to trawl through the threads and find where Charlie posted a Mouser part # for trimpots . . . ) so I'll need to order some parts before I can finish this anyway.

These fit great... 858-72PR20KLF ;)

~ Charlie

I just got my Mouser order in with the 858-72PRxxKLF trimpots. According to Mouser, their catalog references the wrong diagram and as a result ordering this part number will give you trimpots with the wrong pin spacing. Spec sheets verify that 858-72PMRxxKLF is the correct trimpot. The Mouser part numbers are 858-72PMR20KLF, 858-72PMR50KLF and 858-72PMR1KLF. Hope this helps.

Replacement trimpots came in from Mouser today and I can confirm the following part numbers are correct.

858-72PMR20KLF
858-72PMR50KLF
858-72PMR1KLF

oldschoolanalog

Thanx for the "heads up", BMF :icon_cool:
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

bluesdevil

Can I get away with using a 15 volt wallwart for this instead of 18v? The 18v adapters that I saw were pricey (around $10 from Mouser) but I can order a 15 volt adapter from Electronic Goldmine for only $2.50!!!
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

markusw

Quote from: bluesdevil on January 14, 2007, 09:58:31 PM
Can I get away with using a 15 volt wallwart for this instead of 18v? The 18v adapters that I saw were pricey (around $10 from Mouser) but I can order a 15 volt adapter from Electronic Goldmine for only $2.50!!!

Maybe. You'll need  about >17V for the 7815. I use a 18V EH ps which gives me (even under heavy load) 23-25V  :icon_eek:.
So if you're lucky the 15V supply might give you enough V to feed the regulator.

Markus

bluesdevil

Thanks Markus. I probably should've just spent the extra $$. I already placed my order with Mouser for the rest of the parts I need. I'll test the 15v job when it arrives and hope it goes over a few volts to get that regulator working.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

bluesdevil

Started to build finally, but I have several questions that I hope won't be a  pain to answer :icon_redface::

1) The jack for the external pedal control: Do I wire a switch in it's place if I won't be using it? How exactly?

2) I really want to have a go at the Bounce mod add on circuit, but want to make sure I understand a few things.
"VB" would be the half voltage point of 15 volts?  Pin 4 of the LM324 of this mod circuit goes to full +15v source and pin 11 goes to common ground, correct?
It calls for 4 10uf caps, but can I get await with 15uf or 22uf ? Reason being I'm trying to use all tantalum caps for this build and have lots of those on hand!!
  Last but not least, do I need to put a switch in to bypass the bounce circuit? Maybe use a DPDT footswitch to stomp between the bounce circircuit and the stock 1M resistor it replaces is my thinking.
     I will attempt a layout for this add on and share it here if it's needed.... thanks everybody!!!!!!

RedHouse

Quote from: moosapotamus on January 09, 2007, 09:31:18 AM
....Red - The first run was 20 PCB's. I'll do a second run if the quantity hits at least the same number.

Thanks!
~ Charlie....

Has anyone else asked about a second run? (how many others do we need)

-Brad

moosapotamus

Quote from: bluesdevil on January 23, 2007, 09:09:47 PM
1) The jack for the external pedal control: Do I wire a switch in it's place if I won't be using it? How exactly?

If you do not want to install the jack for external manual control, it looks to me like you could leave out R50 and connect the wiper of the manual pot to R53. Does that make sense?

2) I really want to have a go at the Bounce mod add on circuit, but want to make sure I understand a few things.
"VB" would be the half voltage point of 15 volts?  Pin 4 of the LM324 of this mod circuit goes to full +15v source and pin 11 goes to common ground, correct?

I believe the bounce circuit that Stephen posted requires +/-15V. I don't know how (or if) it would work with only +15V.

It calls for 4 10uf caps, but can I get await with 15uf or 22uf ? Reason being I'm trying to use all tantalum caps for this build and have lots of those on hand!!

You mean the ones where it says... 4 x 10-22uF? In my book, that indicates that anything in the range of 10uF to 22uF would be OK.

Last but not least, do I need to put a switch in to bypass the bounce circuit? Maybe use a DPDT footswitch to stomp between the bounce circircuit and the stock 1M resistor it replaces is my thinking.

That's entirely up to you. Somewhere in this thread, I believe Stephen posted a versio of his schematic that shows how and where to tie in the bounce circuit. IIRC, it would simply replace R65 which is 82K.

Oh, here it is...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=49929.msg383211#msg383211

Quote from: RedHouse on January 24, 2007, 09:23:33 AM

Well, if we could get up to ~20 again, that would certainly do it. 8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

StephenGiles

The bounce circuit is for + & - 15v so it needs converting to single supply.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

bluesdevil

Ah, thank you Charlie!! I figured out how to bypass the external jack after posting the questions..... I'm glad to know my brain works (maybe just a bit unsure of myself). Ooops, 82k it is for the resistor to be replace by the bounce circuit... went by memory (not good) when posting.
      The Bounce Mod schematic threw me because there was a "VB" noted on a rail node, but the bounce circuit for the Electric Mistress had the full voltage for the same node. Thanks for replying, Stephen!! +15v for both it will be.
     ALso good to know I can use this pile of 22uf tants on it..... now I just gotta make the layout. :icon_eek:

With those questions answered, I'm quite confident I can whip this thing up without problems. Thanks again for sharing your time and patience. I'll report back with good news soon, I hope.

RedHouse

Quote from: moosapotamus on January 24, 2007, 11:04:24 AM
Quote from: RedHouse on January 24, 2007, 09:23:33 AM

Well, if we could get up to ~20 again, that would certainly do it. 8)

~ Charlie

So, I'm the only one then .....

bluesdevil

Quote from: StephenGiles on January 24, 2007, 01:47:45 PM

Spent some time today getting a PCB layout together for the bounce mod add on circuit:
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album129/bouncemod
Not verified.... would anybody be willing to double check it for me in case my eyes have turned to jelly?
It's based on this schematic:
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/ADAflanger_bounce.zip

oldschoolanalog

[/quote]

So, I'm the only one then .....
[/quote]

Not exactly... ;)
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Horace

.....and I also would definitely buy another of those PCB's in a heartbeat....then.....mod the hell out of it and use it in a rack mount enclosure.   

BMF Effects

markusw

I'd be in for another two. some guitar buddies will want one for sure  ;)

Markus

moosapotamus

Quote from: bluesdevil on January 24, 2007, 11:21:28 PM
Quote from: StephenGiles on January 24, 2007, 01:47:45 PM
Spent some time today getting a PCB layout together for the bounce mod add on circuit:
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album129/bouncemod
Not verified.... would anybody be willing to double check it for me in case my eyes have turned to jelly?
It's based on this schematic:
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/ADAflanger_bounce.zip

So, how did you rework the schematic to convert it from using a +/-15V bipolar power supply to +15V? From looking at your layout, I can't tell where Vb is coming from. Did you draw a modified schematic?

You realize that by going to +15V you have now effectively cut the voltage in half? With a +/-15V bipolar supply the total voltage swing is 30V. Again, not saying it won't work. I just don't know.

There's lots of schemes for bipolar supplies that you can find out there. Here's one in this scheme that you don't see very often...
http://moosapotamus.net/THINGS/Fat-n-Pretty/Fat-n-PrettySCH.gif
...pretty simple and works well.

RE: Second run
I'll start another thread in the For Sale/Trade Forum. If there's enough interest to get up to at least ~20 boards again, I'll start collecting payment and go for another run.

Thanks
~ Charlie

PS: I still haven't had time to start building my own yet! :'( 8)
moosapotamus.net

StephenGiles

"So, how did you rework the schematic to convert it from using a +/-15V bipolar power supply to +15V? From looking at your layout, I can't tell where Vb is coming from. Did you draw a modified schematic?"

I didn't, the schematic is just a drawing for development.Please feel free to move it forward - as they say in offices!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

moosapotamus

Thanks, Stephen. :) Actually, I was trying to direct that question back to bluesdevil. Sorry if I confused. I was just trying to point out that powering a circuit that's expecting to see +/-15V with only +15V might not give you the results you'd expect or like... of course, it might... but then again, it might not.

A closer look at the bounce scheme... one 324 is showing connections to V+ and ground, the other 324 is showing connections to V+ and V-. Is that correct, or should they be the same?

Thanks
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

StephenGiles

I would try the circuit as is to start with, using the single 15v supply taking  all points connected to Vb to half voltage. If this doesn't work, try connecting one or more points to 0v until it does work - not very scientific but it's how I get stuff working!