A/DA Flanger does TZF?

Started by Dave_B, September 29, 2006, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfr

Ah - looking through it, I see what you're talking about.   I just read "use pad C to tap the clean signal" in the build notes that explain all the pads, and didn't actually look at the schematic.  (Dumb mistake)  So yeah, I'll have to tap the clean signal somewhere else - how to work it into this big switching fiasco, I don't know.  But the big thing for me is to have momentary switching, so losing vibrato (or losing foot-switchable vibrato) isn't a deal breaker.

But thanks - I don't think I would have caught that looking things over myself; you saved me some pointless troubleshooting over my switching job. 
sent from my orbital space station.

moosapotamus

oldschoolanalog to the rescue... again. 8)
Right, Pad A should always give you a clean uneffected signal.
You know, that's probably worth another edit to those build notes. ;)

Thanks
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

RaceDriver205

Could someone tell me where the PCB is for this? I.e. the one everyone is now using for it. Ill never find it in 28 pages. ;) Thanks

puretube

Quote from: StephenGiles on January 31, 2007, 05:29:18 PM
Could we perhaps use one of the unused sections of the 4007, voltage controlled by the LFO, to vary the wet signal's series mixing resistor? What about including a small signal detector so that it only kicks in
a) when the sweep approaches the near TZF point and therefore the level is considerably reduced or
b) some other point which could be preset

Pmos or Nmos?

no need for the level to go down near zero;
nice doppler here, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3hBJSX692I

in case clip won`t wanna work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ54NObbDKQ

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

analog kid

MAN ALIVE ! This old thread of ours really is a survivor isn't it? I had no idea it kept going past 12pgs or so. May be some interesting stuff in here I'll have to check out what I may have missed.

Racecardriver,  there's a ton of info (which I'd been collecting for years myself too) most all of which Charlie has so graciously posted on his site.   the people who may be talking about building it here Charlie while I assume getting ready to build one himself decided a pro pcb might be more convenient went ahead and had a 'few' fabricated up for himself and several others. That may be what you're seeing here. HOWEVER There is a layout on there that's mostly complete from the Rev 3 powerpoint by B.B. and a partial with all the changes for SAD. I  created my board from the composite of these. And must say it wasn't so difficult so give it a shot if you are really wanting to take on the A/DA.  Heed my words that though it may fire up , this is NOT a populate and play circuit.  There are many sections that it pays to build and tweak section by section.  I learned this the hard way but in the end made many improvements to the functioning of the circuit and have an amazing device!!!
the point , don't feel left out or discouraged cause you don't have a fabricated pcb to 'paint by number' on ; )
  PLUS( you'll get alot more gratification "building" it ) :icon_wink:
I admit though , even with having mine in use for awhile now, i did too thow in for  a pro board  :icon_redface: couldn't take the thought of after all the sweat I poured into the project that others who got to do it a bit "easier" may have a unit that could stand the test of time a bit better due to the superior pcb compared to copper clad etch.
Good luck
See the man with the stage fright, just standing up there to give it all his might..

moosapotamus

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on February 10, 2007, 05:58:10 AM
Could someone tell me where the PCB is for this? I.e. the one everyone is now using for it. Ill never find it in 28 pages. ;) Thanks

I just made some updates to my ADA clone page... Rev01 and Rev02 overlay images, as well as top, bottom and layout images for the Rev02 PCB. I also edited the build notes to include a couple of minor changes made to the Rev02 PCB (pads to tap into the regen path and extra pads for V+, Vb and GND), and corrected the description of how to wire a hi/low LFO speed switch.

http://moosapotamus.net/IDEAS/ADAflanger/ADAflanger.html

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

oldschoolanalog

Rev. 2! Man, this sure has come a long way. BTW, you can very easily populate this board from either side. Enclosure depth permitting. ie: Installing IC7, D7, C31, & R67 on the other side (bottom) frees up a real nice sized  piece of real estate for a daughter board . Top side, lower left hand corner. Just some "food for thought". Nothing like throwing more ideas out there, before the previous ones have been totally digested :icon_rolleyes:!
Keepin' it real...
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

moosapotamus

Speaking of daughter boards... depending on what you are doing, you may need to supply an external circuit (mod) fragment with a bias voltage as well as V+ and GND from the main PCB. I added a Vb pad the the Rev02 PCB, but if you have a Rev01 PCB, you can use the vias (that connect the bottom traces to the top traces) along the Vb trace as pads to solder wires to. For example, that short vertical top trace just above pin 3 of the threshold pot (not the one that connects to SW1) is the Vb trace. A wire can be inserted and soldered to either of those vias. Over on the other side of the board just below pin 3 of the enhance pot is another (Vb) top trace just to the right of TR2 with vias that can be use to attach wires for feeding Vb to an external circuit or daughter board. Just a tip... ;)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

RaceDriver205

I swear to god, Ive been reading over the documentation on this thing, and it strikes me as the most seriously complicated piece of effect gear ever. Is there, like, a big manual thing on the calibration of it? There were so many trimmers...

moosapotamus

moosapotamus.net

RaceDriver205

It looks like it was scanned from a friend who scanned it from a friend  ;D
Cheers

StephenGiles

Well there you go, probably 10th generation photocopy!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

RaceDriver205

Aye, the original was probably printed on an 'old-school' press!

StephenGiles

But you see, photocopying is how circuits were traded, borrowed or acquired in some other dubious manner 20 or 30 years ago, so it is little surprising that some of the scans appearing on the net look pretty grim!

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: StephenGiles on February 11, 2007, 11:58:03 AM
... so it is little surprising that some of the scans appearing on the net look pretty grim!
I will take grim over nothing every time ;).
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

StephenGiles

I think we can all agree on that!

puretube

StephenGiles

It's enough to take you through zero!!