A/DA Flanger does TZF?

Started by Dave_B, September 29, 2006, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldschoolanalog

Hey, Rev 01 board folks! Any news/build reports? >20 boards; <10 build reports. Hmm...
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

BMF Effects

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on February 14, 2007, 01:32:32 PM
Hey, Rev 01 board folks! Any news/build reports? >20 boards; <10 build reports. Hmm...

Still a slave to my fear of firing it up.  :icon_mrgreen:

Things have been hellacious lately and free time very rare. I'm going on vacation starting tomorrow and plan on placing a parts order for all the little stuff I need to complete various project, this being one of them.

StephenGiles

Well I fired this one up last night!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Meanderthal

Jesus, he just up and perfs one like it's an LPB or something... and here I am worrying about filling in a PCB... kinda puts things in perspective.
This dragon suddenly looks a bit easier to slay...
I am not responsible for your imagination.

oldschoolanalog

Cool, Stephen :icon_cool:! Did you try the gate w/ this one?
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

RaceDriver205

StephenGiles

That was my first veroboard version, with everything spread out nicely, but it took me a while to work out where everything is just to refresh my memory and to further test the SAD 1024 taken from an old AMS100 flanger. I think the 4049 is one from the far right at the bottom.

I am looking forward to sun lit evenings which are kinder to the eyes for reading component values!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

oldschoolanalog

BMF Effects

Quote from: StephenGiles on February 15, 2007, 07:12:27 AM
I am looking forward to sun lit evenings which are kinder to the eyes for reading component values!

Amen to that! These short winter days are killing my eyes!

StephenGiles

Just a thought, any mileage in converting the ADA Flanger to +15v & -15v? More headroom?

bluesdevil

Finally boxed it up!! Charlie's board fits pefectly in a 1790 enclosure if you place the pots under it and put the footswitch at the very edge. Gotta give Charlie a million thanks for the effort and the offer, because I would have never even attempted this beast without that PCB...... holy smokes it sounds f*ck'n' killer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's a guts shot:
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album129/flangerinside
Didn't ever iron out the bounce mod circuit because I was pressed for space and patience... damn.
Mods I did use were the "vibrato" switch, timing cap switch and I moved the max clock trimpot to a panel mount control. Wanted to mount the high range trimpot also but ran outta room. Also I drilled out a hole for the CV jack, but didn't have the correct jack on hand so I just hardwired to manual mode on the board for now. Will probably do up some sound clips later.

"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

moosapotamus

Well, yeah... I suppose the footprints for those poly caps could have been a tad bigger. :icon_redface: Not too tough to squeeze 'em in, tho. Anyway...

Looking great, bluesdevil! Can't wait to hear those clips. 8)

Thanks
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

StephenGiles

That looks great bluesdevil. Something I thought of driving to work just now, it would be interesting to have an option where the LFO is generally disabled but trigger started by playing a note hard, and starts from either the bottom or top of the sweep rather than where it just happens to be when the on/off switch is engaged, then continuing as normal for a preset amount of time. For instance it could be useful part way through a solo. I'm sure I've seen something like this somewhere, was it in an old ETI article using a TDA 1022 perhaps?

StephenGiles

It must have been for the TDA 1022, ETI was too mean to pay someone to design anything decent for the SAD 1024 :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

bluesdevil

Got the Condor cab sim built so I can now record clean signals nicely. Actually changed the caps around a bit so it almost sounds like I'm just running direct anyway 'cause I didn't like that thin notched sound too much.
      Well okay let's get on with it!! This sample shows off the timing cap switch mod (running a 100pf cap in parallel with the stock 51pf). First sound is bypassed with no effect, then flanger with normal timing cap and then played again with the 100pf switched in parallel...... the mod gives a cool chorus/short delay sound. Also all apologies to Keef Riffhard for being out of tune on his great number!!!!
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/albums/album129/cleanflange2.mp3

Next clip is longer...... it shows a more lopsided effect with the manual and range knobs turned up more. Mainly wanted to show what putting the max clock trimpot on the panel can do and show the difference in the even/odd harmonic switch.
    First is bypassed sound, then with harmonic switch set on "even", max clock control at 11 o'clock and then turned to about 1 0'clock (notiice the tubular kinda short delay?). I switch to the "odd" harmonics for reggae part at the end. The reggae thing would have sounded better if I would've backed down on the manual and range controls.
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/albums/album129/cleanflange.mp3

This pedal can do a hell of a lot more than this!!! Just a quick and pretty effortless sample for you guys. Nothing as dramatic as the "jet swoosh" sample I did....... adding distortion in front of this pedal really makes it come alive!!!!! Thanks again for making this dream build a reality.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

sfr

Trying to work momentary switching into my ADA, (after the mistake I made last time, not realizing how the enhance control worked - mentioned earlier in this thread)  Set up a toggle to switch to using the momentary switch, which simply switches the output jack between being connected to point "A" on the board (the output of the first buffer) and the normal output point from the board.  Works great, but I get some popping.  This in part because there is no DC blocking cap between the output of IC1A and point "A", and I'm jumping between different DC levels when I switch?   A cap and a pulldown resistor on my switch should fix this?   Or am I way off base here?

All in all I love this unit.  I've been meaning to make soundbites, but I want to get it "perfect" - hopefully we get the scope working again.  Anyone have any comments on setting T1 and T6 w/o a scope?

Still finding my way around the "Threshold" control - when I originally got the thing running, I got some cool effects out of it, now it seems to be a little less effective.  It must be my settings, I don't know.  I also haven't played with the thing into a dirty amp very much, where is where it seems to shine. 

I have a weird issue in that I do get some clock noise, or breathing or something, even with input grounded - but only on certain speed settings.  If I dial it further up or down, it goes away.  And then if I powered down the unit, and then powered it back on, the noise was gone at that same setting.  It was kind of wierd.   I only noticed it the other day, I haven't experimented with it since.  Of course, my unit is not shielded at all right now, and power connections are still running through the breadboard. 

All in all, I know this thing looks daunting, but with the pre-made boards that Charlie's got here, it's a no-brainer.  These things with the through-plated holes and everything are a joy to solder.  Honestly, I just jumped in, wired everything up, checked for shorts, checked for decent voltages before I popped in the SAD, and fired it up.  I got some pretty good flanging right from the get go.  Dialing it in has certainly helped, but I haven't had a work scope for any of the trimpot setting I've done so far, and I'm getting great sounds.

I think I want to hook the "manual" control up to an envelope control - I think that would be ace.  (Although I've been hooking up envelope followers to everything I can lately - I'm a bit nuts)  Shold be easy enough with the expression control input, actually. 
sent from my orbital space station.

bluesdevil

Hi SFR - The threshold control gets rid of the noise when I'm not playing on my build. Turn it all the way up and then start turning counter clockwise until the noise disappears.
   About calibration: I think you can get this unit working decently without meters/scopes if you trust your ears a bit and spend some time tinkering with it...... you might even get it sounding better that way.
  The only trimpot adjustment I think I would like to get tested on mine is the 1024's bias.... curious to see if I'm close, since I had a hard time deciding where I liked it!!! Also panel mounting the high range and max clock trimmers isn't a bad idea. I hope builders don't get too hung up on not being able to calibrate this thing properly without scopes/meters because you ultimately want to please your ears not a piece of testing equipment telling you otherwise!!

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: bluesdevil on February 23, 2007, 03:27:42 PM
I hope builders don't get too hung up on not being able to calibrate this thing properly without scopes/meters because you ultimately want to please your ears not a piece of testing equipment telling you otherwise!!
+1

RaceDriver205

I dont think thats the point.

StephenGiles

Quite honestly, the BBD bias is the most important trim adjustment, which can be easily done by ear because turning the trimfrom one end will produce in sequence: no flanging/distortion/flanging/distortion/no flanging, and it's fairly obvious where the correct setting is. Thereafter adjustments are to one's individual taste, I'd wager.